UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

June's Caring And Sharing

Yantan

It i unbelievably hot here after a cold, windy , sometimes wet , week.

I did manage an hour in the garden this morning and a couple of hours this afternoon but am now glad to be in cool. The heat is very tiring.

We have visits from a mummy pheasant and 7 tiny chicks,

ThE hot, dry weather we have had must have been good for them rearing their young.

The pheasants are not good mothers. they wander about ignoring the chicks who have to keep up. Sometimes they don't notice where she has gone and are then lost unless they can find her again.

Two years ago one came with 7 chicks. Next visit 6, next visit 5 and so on until none.

I think it might be because they are raised and then released by the big estate here for their shooting parties. These are the ones that have escaped so far.

If they don't experience being nurtured they won't know how to do it themselves.

Poor pheasants. There is one, maybe more, that must have escaped from somewhere and now lives around the old railway line where we often go for walks.

It's heating up here, although not yet at the point of being uncomfortable. I suspect it will get there as the week goes on.

Mummy red legged partridge called with her chick. My it has grown in a few days.

The temperature reached 24.7 this afternoon. It is starting to cool down now.

Murphy , being black, cannot take the heat. At the moment he is wandering abut the house trying to find a cool place. He usually lies on the tiles at the front door as they are cool but the sun is shining on the door at the moment so they are not cool.

I suggested putting him in a cold shower. I don't think he would appreciate it.

We got a paddling pool but he won't go in it.

Blackmagic, do you have a b&m?? They have cooling beds for either £5or £10..I would happily get you one but fear the shipping would be extortionate... nearly killed me carrying the large for Molly! Pets at home have some but I think they are about£20, they aren't the sort that get the dog wet..you don't add water or anything

I don't have a B&M but the Zooplus one looks interesting.

I often consider cool coat but I don't think he would like wearing it and also it is not usually many days that are so hot up here.

It mentions not placing in direct sunlight. Does that apply when using it as our front door is glass, the entrance hall/dining room and lounge are open plan with two sets of patio doors at right angles to each other so a lot of sunlight shines into the area.

The kitchen also has two windows facing different directions so again allow lot of sun in.

We are usually glad of any sun we get to warm the house up. Cooling it down is a rare problem.

Archie is mainly black and he loves the sun and heat. blackmagic he wouldn't use a pool other than as a super sized drinking bowl and he wouldn't use a cooling mat either. I bought both him and George one each and had to get them from the USA as they weren't readily available here back then (about 12/13 years ago) and they cost a bomb. The prices now though have dropped so far that it wouldn't be any great loss if Murphy did a George and Archie. These days is Archie gets too hot he comes in a lies under the electric fan.

It's going to be a hot 'un here today. Archie and I went for a walk early and were home by 8.30am. It was just pleasantly warm and we were shaded by trees for most of the walk anyway.

Keep nice and cool today everyone :flowers:

I just put my 2 in their crate with the mat..they had to lie on it lol

I am gutted, just found out my drinking buddy partner in crime and general grumpy old sod has prostate cancer that has gone to his bones, he has had chemo but they got the liquid in his skin and now he can't feel his hand. He still has his sense of humour thankfully