UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Octobers Original Orations

snow

oooo good luck Owl...i have every confidence in you staying upright and a little nibble on the crew won't harm...surely?? Lol

My bro went all the way to iceland to see the northern lights

Yantan, i totally just misread the location you visited as fondle Lol

I have put the heating on as I need to dry Wispa's hi vis harness and leads on a radiator. Just put them through the wash. Also my shooters waistcoat with lots of pockets. We have to be reasonably clean and decent tomorrow as we and our partners Isobel and Finlay are being filmed up in Yorkshire. Series being made by Hat Trick productions on missing dogs. Hope I don't fall over my own feet, hope Wispa doesn't try to eat the TV crew. At least it's not live. Wibble!

Very strange the people you meet unexpectedly on holiday in remote places. I went to Mull and met a work colleague in the pub in Dervaig. And another colleague in Stromness, Orkney.

I would love to see the Northern Lights. Good to know I don't need to leave UK mainland to so that. Too busy at present but maybe next year I will plan hols in Caithness. What times of year do you see them, blackmagic?

I have put the heating on as I need to dry Wispa's hi vis harness and leads on a radiator. Just put them through the wash. Also my shooters waistcoat with lots of pockets. We have to be reasonably clean and decent tomorrow as we and our partners Isobel and Finlay are being filmed up in Yorkshire. Series being made by Hat Trick productions on missing dogs. Hope I don't fall over my own feet, hope Wispa doesn't try to eat the TV crew. At least it's not live. Wibble!

Very strange the people you meet unexpectedly on holiday in remote places. I went to Mull and met a work colleague in the pub in Dervaig. And another colleague in Stromness, Orkney.

I would love to see the Northern Lights. Good to know I don't need to leave UK mainland to so that. Too busy at present but maybe next year I will plan hols in Caithness. What times of year do you see them, blackmagic?

Autumn and winter are the best times but of course nothing is guaranteed.

This last week or so has been exceptional with aurora alerts every night.

We don't have an unrestricted view of the horizon from the house so don't see the colours but we do see the bright sky and brilliant stars. If we were minded we could travel a few miles for a more spectacular view but prefer our beds.

There is some information on these sites

http://www.spanglefish.com/caithnessastronomygroup/index.asp?pageid=424219

https://www.northcoast500.com/blog/caithness-blog/the-northern-lights-in-caithness.aspx

This webcam on Shetland shows tonight's aurora just starting with a faint green area forming.

A camera will pick up the colours that are not obvious to the naked eye.

LOL @ Griff. It's pronounced Findle but we kept calling it Fondle.

Owl we had a spectacular display from the northern lights on a couple of occasions earlier this year. Our DW took some fantastic photos. I was too busy and awed looking at them to even think of going in for a camera.

I'd love to see the aurora, but I don't like being cold and the two things tend to go together!

Yantan, reading back a lot I realised I didn't answer the questions you asked me regarding family history, sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. I looked on Ancestry mostly, but only the free bit as when I started I couldn't afford to pay the monthly cost of delving further. I did look the other day on another site whose name I've now completely forgotten, but I think it had Mormons stamped on it? I did find my father's birth registration with his mother's maiden name, and something else saying he married with my mother's name but nothing for her. It doesn't help that after my dad died when I was nearly seven my mother moved with her (very good) female friend...say no more...down from Yorkshire to Sussex and severed all connections with his parents and sister, and come to think of it a fair few of her own family, so I never did hear any of the family stories that help to piece things together. I know I've got at least six cousins but I wouldn't know any of them if I met them in the street.

Edited by suzeanna

Suzeanna I can see lines of enquiry leading from the info you give. PM if you want me to help. The Mormon site is known as Familysearch and it's the one I am using most at the moment. It's limited in the info it holds, although what there is can be very useful. It used to be a lot easier to use but they had a major re-vamp and it's easy to miss stuff there now.

It's tattie pot weather! So I am going to slow cook one this afternoon :)

It is quite sad really that people don't really write stuff down for kids...even if they don't have anything to do with their families themselves they could write it down and then when they die their kids could look things up if they felt like it. It is like my dads family, my dad didn't even know his own nans name.....she was just nan to him or gran. I know loads about my nans parents, i used to love listening to her talking about them and as i never knew them when my nan died it enabled me to tak to her sister about things when she was in the care home and make her smile and remember things. Steve knows nothing of his dads side at all...i don't like to ask too much but i don't know if he knows if he has uncles or aunties on that side...i don't even know how old he was when his dad left or even if his dad did leave...i don't know if he was ever there, i do know that he found him a few years back but he wanted him to lie about who he was

ive never met my dad, don't know his name, so lost that side. mother moved us down south when I was 7, so lost my cousins. I now cant get hold of them on facebook when my account got closed, so just me, the boys and my brother who lives up north. Ive always wanted to know, but mother wouldn't talk about it

ive never met my dad, don't know his name, so lost that side. mother moved us down south when I was 7, so lost my cousins. I now cant get hold of them on facebook when my account got closed, so just me, the boys and my brother who lives up north. Ive always wanted to know, but mother wouldn't talk about it

There are agencies that help families reconnect such as Salvation Army

http://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/reuniting-families

might be worth looking into it ?

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

We took Candy to the peak district today. We parked at the Longshaw estate then walked down to Burbage Brook. We chose the wrong path, very steep and rocky! I'd like to say I skipped down like a mountain goat but I slipped slithered and quietly cursed most of the way! My dodgy knee was twanging but the hamstring was fine and more importantly candy met lots of people and dogs and really enjoyed herself.

you have to know their names though. think at my age its a bit late lol

harry is on the next stage, eating with the dogs. first day, going well. he eats so much slower than them corrrr

I am not sure you have to know all the details and I don't think its ever too late , there are private companies as well like http://www.borntobefound.co.uk

ooooo how exciting Jazz!!! with the salvation army you have to pay now for the service as someone on another forum was looking for family and i suggested the same and was told it was no longer free

Oooooo Suzeanna, hope you aren't too sore today? pleased candy had a good time though

Hi Sam, hope your mum is on the mend now

We took Candy to the peak district today. We parked at the Longshaw estate then walked down to Burbage Brook. We chose the wrong path, very steep and rocky! I'd like to say I skipped down like a mountain goat but I slipped slithered and quietly cursed most of the way! My dodgy knee was twanging but the hamstring was fine and more importantly candy met lots of people and dogs and really enjoyed herself.

The Longshaw estate is lovely have walked there to Burbage Rocks and Higger Tor, as well as abseiling too. I can highly recommend the food at Fox House and its a dog friendly pub to boot with a log fire in the late autumn/winter.