UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Julys Jolly Japes

Jazz

So far we have missed the storms. We may get something this afternoon.

Just been out with the dogs and we are all puggled now. It is cloudy but very warm. Don't know if I can summon up the energy to do some gardening.

Hubby is an official at the shooting for the Commonwealth Games, which is being done at Carnoustie- next to the golf course and went down last Thursday to help with preparations and the practice before the competition proper starts next week.

He has B& B accommodation provided in Dundee in very posh university student halls. He gets a packed lunch provided and has a charge card for £35 a day for evening meal. All right for some.

He says security is extreme with security people everywhere.

The competitors are in two other hotels guarded by the police.

Cars cannot get anywhere near the venue. You have to park in a designated car park and walk from there. Volunteers and officials have special buses to take them there and back but even the buses are restricted as to where they can go. They have to take a long roundabout route there instead of going the direct way. Who knows why?

He has been provided with a casual outfit of two pairs of track suit type trousers, two sweatshirts, a jacket, a dress suit, two white shirts, a garish tie, an umbrella , a kagoule and a suit carrier to put it all in.

How exciting blackmagic. I wonder if the long route is taken because it's safer, ie less places for them to be 'ambushed' (for want of a better word).

It's muggy here as well. I've been painting the hallway and even though I was doing the fiddly bits, which requires hardly any effort, I was sweating cobs. Gonna do the rest with a roller shortly and do a second coat later so that it's finished today.

I met a very interesting man on our walk this morning. He's a food journalist. He's Welsh as well and somehow we ended up talking about Maggie Thatcher and the miner's strike in the eighties and how the loss of the mines in Wales devastated the communities. He said a journalist friend of his went down to the Rhondda valley a year ago when Maggie died, to see how people felt. He went into a local working men's club but nobody would talk to him. When he asked one man why nobody would give him a story he pointed out a man. "See him over there" he said. "His two sons killed themselves because they couldn't find work afterwards". And he wasn't the only one apparently. It was a horrible time for anyone living in the mining communities and the Rhondda in particular is still badly affected because nothing else sprung up to give employment to anyone, so drugs and alcoholism are rife :(

Edited by merledogs

Had enough of painting. I've given everything one coat and suspect it's going to need three to cover the old paint, so will do a couple of coats tomorrow. Pondering whether to do the stairs/landing as well which is a different colour to the hall.

Morning :wavey:

Day off today, although I was up at 6.15 to go to spin, then showered and went to Tesco. Turns out that 8am on a Monday is the best time to go to tesco! It was empty, all shelves were full and they opened a checkout for me too :biggrin: Was done in 35 mins :) Back to the gym for another class at 11, then it's chill time I think! Can't ride Blue as he's lost a shoe, so think I'll have a relaxing afternoon :)

Internet has suddenly started working. My ISP says it is a fault on BT line, but just as I was going to call BT it started working.

My mum is OK, thanks for asking. It has been the same pattern, she goes right downhill then bounces back. We are sure it was yet another ministroke. But each time she recovers she has even less energy.

Glad your fence is mended, Jazz.

Sorry to hear your appt was a waste of time, griff.

The storm here was dreadful. We had an inch of rain in half an hour. I was driving and had to pull off as I could not see and there were flash floods. There is a beagle on the run locally, got spooked by the storm. We can only track in evenings now, as too hot for Wispa and anyway the scent evaporates in the daytime heat.

Day off today, so I've been out for a very energetic/fast walk with the dogs (trying to get fit). Collected Taffy's tag which he'd lost on Saturday - a nice man rang to say he'd found it and left it somewhere hidden for me to collect. They met more new dogs. I do luffs my boys :wub:

Mowed the lawn when I got home and am sitting down for ten minutes before I start painting again.

It's scorchio here, I'm sweating cobs so gawd knows what I'm gonna be like once I start with the roller.

Edited by merledogs

It's a nice day here and there is a lovely breezing blowing so with having the front door open I am feeling nice and cool.

I might make some Scotch eggs today. I'll have to make breadcrumbs first though but I'm not sure I want to put the oven on to make heat in here. Umm decisions decisions.

Merledogs, I think it is what they are calling the' Games Route' which will avoid the congestion through the town.

Fortunately, we have avoided the storms. Had light drizzle on Sunday evening but that isall. It was misty overnight but today overcast but dry and warm.

I have just tried to go to the post office but had to turn back as an accident has blocked our single track road . A lorry hit a motorbike but nobody hurt. However they were waiting for the police to arrive, which up here could be some time, so I came back home.

Wish I had some of your energy Gooster.

Somebody once sent me a lost dog tag through the post. I hadn't noticed it was missing as my bitch had long hair.

Good Morning

beautiful sunny day here

Owl, i am glad to see you are back online, sometimes BT realise there is a fault on the line before you do and it gets repaired quickly

Merledogs, it is lovely when dogs make new friends isn't it?

Gooster, you make me tired reading about your gym trips

Blackmagic, hope the blockage is soon cleared but good nobody was hurt

Morning Jazz

Yantan...... not sure i would risk the oven if it is dead hot

Hospital for me again today, this one can't be any worse than a camera up your nose (they don't even numb it!) one more appointment tomorrow and hopefully that will be it for a couple of weeks.

id rather have the camera up the nose than steroid injections into my knuckles. I think lol

its just nice here today

ive done an online shop, and am dropping some bits off that ive sold later. time is going quick today

Hope your hospital trip goes ok Griff :flowers:

Just trying to sort out my invoices for my accountant :unsure: They are emailed to me, so I have saved them to my laptop and going through them all to make sure they are all there. *i must do this on a regular basis. I must do this on a regular basis* :laugh: :rolleyes: Am trying to get used to doing everything on a mac as well, which is very different to a PC!! Took me ages to figure out how to create a folder :laugh: