UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jolly Jeunesse

merledogs

Alex so glad the cat came back.

We will adopt again theres no doubt about that we have already been talking about it and we both know we will one day be doing this all over again, if we'd given up after Olaf then we'd never have had the privilege of almost 12 years with Noggin and despite all the pain now its been worth every moment to have shared his life for so long. However, I will be ready long before Rob is, Rob needs grieving space and time to adjust, there was around 3 months gap between Sabre & Olaf and Olaf & Nog, I was looking for most of that time but Rob wasn't ready and I know theres no point in me pressuring him as he will come round in his own time. Sadly for now there will always be a sighthounds in rescue needing homes, so when the time is right we will find the one.

• Like 1

mother fed loads of cats. some were strays, some wernt, but she loved doing it. a friend took one of the strays when she died. the others we couldnt catch

I had 3 big dogs, she didnt actually own any animals, but bought more than me for all the cats lol

Hugs Snow. The right doglet will come along when you are both ready. As you say it is very sad but here will always be animals wanting homes.

Can people keep their fingers crossed for nice weather tomorrow please. I am doing a long run and could really do with less wind and rain. A gentle breeze and some sun would be nice please!!

Oh dear Murtle..you obviously haven't seen the forecast! Dry but gales...mind you if you can get the wind behind you, you'll make good time!

Snow, what were your other dogs? Sabre sounds as if he should have been a GSD? We've never been without a dog as we always had several so when we lost one there was still another in the house, but it didn't make the loss any less. When our present two go, it could be close together...Dyl is around 12/14 (rescue so not sure), but there are lurchers round here still tottering along at 19, and Rosie cavalier is 6 now and cavs apparently are considered lucky to make it past 12, I absolutely dread the day. We won't have any more after these two, but we would contemplate fostering for the Oldies Club or similar probably. I would like a cat again once Dyl is no longer with us, but then I look at my leather settee and think about cats claws and ..maybe not! I'm not houseproud, but we can't afford another settee and I don't want to see it shredded!

Sabre was a long haired GSD he was my first soul dog we rescued him at 6 weeks, he was completely and utterly devoted to me and to Nick who was born when Sabre was about 3 years old, we lost Sabre to an awful form of skin cancer when he was barely 8 years old, Sabre had saved Nicks life when he was a toddler so I was devastated when I lost him - so much so it has taken me until now really to ever consider having another GSD. Olaf was a deerhound x colllie x greyhound who we "rescued" aged 6 months, he was more Rob & Nicks dog - though he loved us all, but he adored Rob. We lost Olaf also at 8 to osteosarcoma without any warning at all, that was unbelievably hard it was just out of the blue one day he was fit, strong and running round like a loon, the next he was limping and in for a quick scan to see what was going on, the next moment we were having to say goodbye. Thats why we were so anxious when Nog broke his leg in 2009 as we were terrified it was happening all over again, but thankfully there was no cancer back then and we had 5 more years with him.

It will be another pointy of some kind when we're ready, Rob's always admired Borzoi's but they very very rarely come into rescue (thankfully) and if they do the chances of it being whilst we're looking and for it to be the perfect fit for us would be astronomical, besides the fact that they are so rare in rescue means there would always be a home out there for it, whereas there will always be Greyhounds and Lurchers in need and more dogs than homes, so thats where our hearts will lead us.

My mother used to take in waifs and strays (four legged variety!) and she once took in a Borzoi...he lasted a week! He ate the door frames of any room he was shut in and was really not a happy boy at all. Another dog she took was a Great Dane who had been a cruelty case, and insisted on trying to sit on laps!

• Like 1

Grief is the price we pay for love.

Nog will send you a dog one day.

After I lost my soul dog unexpectantly I was not interested in another dog. We did still have my dalmatian.

One day, after a few months , I was drawn to a golden retriever on Dogpages. She was the image of my soul dog. I kept looking at her, as you do, but did no more. She was what I would have wanted an older , golden retiever bitch but i wasn't thinking about getting another dog.

Although we had never discussed it , a few days later my husband said he thought Hovis needed another pal. He had lost his purpose in life.

He was 'big brother' to Amber although several years younger, making sure there were no bogey men in the garden before she went out at night and always walking in front of her on a walk. If she realised she had gone in front of him she stopped dead until he was in front again.

I showed him the picture and that was it . I sent off an application but circumstances changed and she was no longer available. However, the rescue asked me to consider another dog they had - a black reteiver/collie cross who was 10 weeks old. He couldn't have been more different.

Murphy is now 9 years old and has so many quirks that Amber had that we are convinced she is up there guidong him. He pestered our dalliie to play as he had done to her when he was a pup. We reckoned she was up there laughing.

Two was our limit but I kept in touch with the rescue and enjoyed reading about the dogs needing rehomed and their success stories.

One day I read about a 2 year old retriever collie cross looking for a home. Since that was what Murphy was I was interested. She also seemed to be a good fit to our circumstances which were now quite restrictive- we lived in a rural, crofting area with free wandering sheep and occasional cows.

We have wild pheasans and partridges in the garden. So a dog that wanted to chase would be a nightmare. Being rural our dogs spend a lot of time on the car, sometimes on long journeys when it would too long to leave them at hime. So a dog that didn't like travelling was necessary.

Murphy is quite a sensitive dog so I wanted a suitable match.

Cleo fitted all this, She was very gentle, lived with chickens and was fine with horses. She loved the car.

However, I was not wanting another dog at that time and moved on.

Two months later we lost Hovis to torsion.

Three months later we talked about getting another dog. Despite it being six months since she came into recue Cleo was still available and we adopted her , travelling 450 miles each way to collect her and bring her home.

She has fitted in as if she had always lived here but surprisingly she does do some of the odd things that Hovis did.

But she is not a collie cross but a retriever/ gsd cross and a delightful dog who charms everybody she meets.

Even when I bought my first pups i didnlt go looking as such . The right dog turned up at the right time.

• Like 2

My BT infinity thingy has turned up (I'm upgrading cos the 10GB limit I have currently isn't enough for streaming footie matches). Apparently my broadband will go off when the engineer does his thingy in the area and then I can plug it in.

Ruddy roofer hasn't been out this week to fix the leaky bay, despite ringing me on Sunday promising me to do it. I think I am going to have to get someone else in which I'm really hacked off about.

Oh Merledogs, what a bloody nuisance, whatever happened to tradesmen doing a decent job?

been to the vet with Dex, he has to have an op, i know it needs doing but given what happened to diez after surgery i am terrified... i have complete confidence in conor and i know i am being daft but i am properly worried. He has developed a large lump by his thyroid it wasn't there a couple of weeks ago and it has got bigger this past week, he is 15 and although i never really wanted a cat he is utterly fantastic

I hope Dex's op goes well :GroupHug:

Does anyone know much about pain relief for cats? My parents' Shadow cat is getting rather stiff in the back end (he's 18 years old, so not a young'un). Mum's reluctant to take him to the vet, but I reckon its worth seeing if they can give him something. While I convince her, was thinking of trying something natural, but I only really know about supplements that apply to dogs (glucosomine, devil's claw, turmeric) - anyone know if they work for cats as well?

I've been to the garage to get all the junk out of it, ready to transfer to the new car :) We've gone with another passat estate - new one is only a year newer than our old one, but its done half the milage (60,000 instead of 120,000). It is convenient at it means the boot liner, dog guard and tail gate guard will all fit in the new car without needing any adjustment. When I drive the new car on Sunday, it'll be the 5th car I've driven in just over 2 weeks :S Old passat, rental astra, Dad's zafira, OHs S8, new passat - not bad for not the world's most confident driver.

they do metacam for cats now sophie, you properly measure it out in the syringe the same as you do for dogs so no more trying to guess how many drops to give, i used to give dex some flexadin supplements that were for diesel and he ate them no trouble, i have just popped him back on noractive plus which is glucosamine and chondroitin powder and he eats his dinner no trouble and he is super fussy! i get the noractive off vet uk

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/joint-supplements-noractive-plus-range-c-5_4_242/noractive-plus-sachets-for-cats-and-small-dogs-p-19

just got to try and have a shower and then off to the drs