UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March' Mad Mumblings

merledogs

Morning.

:GroupHug: to all those who missed their mums on mothers day.

I had a quiet weekend. Yesterday was meant to be spent lazing around, but Logan opened up a cut on his ear after our morning walk, so I spent most of the day sweeping, mopping and washing the walls of every room downstairs. Once I'd cleaned the bits with blood on it showed just how filthy the rest of the place was - it is now much cleaner and shinier :) Logan had to wear his ear-headband, which meant he sulked most of the day, but kept him from spraying blood anywhere else. He's at the vet tomorrow for his boosters anyway, so will have the vet check his ear over - he initially cut it in December and it hasn't healed yet :(

Moaning :tired:

We are now a 2 dog household for the foreseeable future, its not exactly ideal but not a lot we can do about it. MIL is in quite a state everything has happened very very quickly and we're all a bit stunned by how fast she's gone from being 100% fit & active to pretty much totally housebound and in constant pain. She's been told she has rapid onset acute osteoarthritis in both hips and lower spine, with no exaggeration 6 weeks ago she was walking Sal 2 or 3 miles a day every day, looking after my 8 yr old nephew, going to WI, ladies club, gadding about "lunching" and generally never sitting still for longer than 5 mins, mentally alert and uncomplaining. Since Wednesday she's had to rely on a wheeled zimmer frame just to be able to shuffle from her chair to where ever she needs to get to & she can no longer drive. The family have rearranged her house so she has a bedroom downstairs and we've organised a range of medical aids & equipment. SIL also managed to get her surgical appointment brought forward to this Wednesday. Shes very emotional with abrupt mood swings due to the constant pain which the meds don't appear to be helping with.

So Sally will be staying with us until mil is able to have her back home, realistically its looking like mil will need at least 1 hip replacement if not both, no idea how long the waiting lists are but theres no doubting that mil should get a bit of priority due to the severity and speed of the deterioration, but then there will be the recovery process which is usually a couple of months and we dont know if they'll have to do them both and if so whether they'll do them at the same time or staggered. I rather suspect Sal will be with us right through the summer at the very least - I also have a bit of a sneaking suspicion that sil will try to persuade mil to not have her back at all.

I have very mixed feelings about this, Sal is a lovely dog in lots of ways, but shes not without her issues which we'll obviously now be working on to make this a better fit for her and us but shes not a dog we would ever have chosen to adopt for ourselves. I have reservations not least of which is that she does not get on with Bruno and I've made it a condition that if we cannot make a reintroduction work (she attacked Bruno the last time they met) then she will be kenneled when Nick & Vicky want to visit or we want to go visit them. Her alert/guard barking has also got to be sorted, it might not be an issue for mil but its a big issue for us - our house layout is very different and here she barks at everyfecking thing she see's, hears or thinks shes seen/heard, and that includes the flipping telephone and the sound of my nails on the keyboard! Hopefully she'll adjust to the way things are done here and will settle down as she grows more accustomed to this now being her home (at least for now) and I'll adjust to having a non pointy stubborn cowbag walking carpet shadowing my every movement.

Am sure Sal will settle down once she gets into a routine at yours Snow :flowers:

Hope Logan's ear is soon on the mend - ears always bleed loads - I remember when we had Wilf and he kept attacking Charlie, Charlie managed to bite Wilf's ear. Blood went absolutely everywhere :unsure:

Still poorly :( Am now dashing to the loo every hour :( My doctors phoned me this morning to chase me up about my asthma review, so I told them I wasn't well. They have booked me in with the nurse tomorrow, but they said to let them know if I m still not well and they will try and swap me to the GP. Considering I have hardly eaten since Friday, I don't actually know where it's all coming from :(

Jayne are you keeping your fluids up? Have you got something like diorylite (or however you spell it) to take? I had a dose of food poisoning when I was working in London and had never realised that you could get so ill. Even sipping water caused me to start throwing up again and I got dehydrated very quickly. Fortunately it only lasted 48 hours but left me wiped out for several days after so do take care of yourself because I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Snow I am sure Sal will settle with your consistent training. Maybe she is missing her mum and perhaps is a little bewildered about not being in her usual home so is playing up more than usual. What sort of blunty dog is she?

That sounds nasty, Jayne, hope it can be sorted soon.

Sorry to hear about MIL, snow, poor lady.

We are chilling out, and not just because it's snowy. Had a run of 4 days doing emergency transport runs and helping friend get the rest of her stuff out of her previous house before deadline today. Yesterday did both.

Thanks guys. I don't have any rehydration sachets, but I have been constantly drinking water. Thankfully I haven't been throwing up yet, but tbh it may make a welcome change from what is going on currently. My dad suggested I take some immodium, but my feelings are that if there is something in there my body needs to get rid of, I need to let it sort itself out :unsure: Having said that, I may take some before bed tonight, so I actually get to sleep as opposed to waking up every hour :rolleyes:

Enjoy your chill out day Owl :flowers:

Sorry to hear of the rapid decline in your MIL, Snow. i hope new doglet can learn to fit into your routine quickly.

Jayne that is similar to saying if you have a headache you shouldn't take paracetamol but instead to just let it run its course! Take it and help your body recover xxx

Owl, have a lovely restful day ;)

• Like 1

Snow I am sure Sal will settle with your consistent training. Maybe she is missing her mum and perhaps is a little bewildered about not being in her usual home so is playing up more than usual. What sort of blunty dog is she?

We're not completely sure Marion - when mil rescued her she was told she was a Brittany Spaniel x Collie as she is virtually tail-less however, I'm wondering if she's more Australian Shepherd either mix or full blood - that fits more with her colouring, stumpy tail and high guard drive, but she could just be a collie bitsa.

Here she is:

gallery_76_188_50046.jpg

gallery_76_188_2062379.jpg

gallery_76_188_2220223.jpg

• Like 1

Jayne, sorry to hear you're still poorly - I hope it clears up soon :flowers:

Owl, enjoy your chill out - you deserve it :flowers:

Snow, I know exactly what you mean when you say Sal isn't a dog you would have chosen for yourself. Much as I loved him, I wouldn't have chosen Sky - he came to us through family, and although he was lovely, he just wasn't my kind of dog. I loved him, and I miss him now, but I wouldn't have another dog like him again. I hope Sal settles with you, and that your MIL manages to get her pain under control - it sounds miserable for her at the moment.

I totally get anyone who says certain types of dogs are not ones they would choose to share their lives with. Although I love all dogs and would do anything I could to help one regardless of breed there are just some breeds, mixed or otherwise, that I am more drawn to than others when it comes to making them family.

Snow thanks for the photos of Sal. She looks sweet. Her face is similar to Archie's - he has some collie in him - but he is shorthaired and more terrier like than collie. He gets his smarts from his collie blood though - and he is a very smart dog. Is Sal?

Afternoon. I had a half day to take delivery of another couple of eBay bargains - a chest of drawers and matching mirror which match some other things I have from the same range.

I am getting rid of all my cherry wood furniture - sideboard, display cabinet, table & chairs. Best do it soon eh? :rolleyes:

Does anybody know if the Oldies Club are registered with eBay as a charity? Would like to donate a small percentage of profits to them (if anybody actually buys the stuff).

Edited by merledogs

Hmmmm is Sal smart? How to answer that? lol if she were smart then I would have thought she'd have worked out long before now that pulling like a steam train only serves to half strangle you and hurt your neck, it doesn't get you anywhere any faster lol and I'd have thought that after 6 weeks of continually being told not to bark and rewarded for being quiet that at some point the penny would drop and she'd stop blinking doing it ...and yet .... nahhhh :rolleyes_anim: truth is shes far too bloody smart for her own good - she "thinks" about things theres no mistaking it, she very very clearly is thinking through her options before she decides what she wants to do and if what she wants to do differs from what you want her to do thats just tough. She is incredibly stubborn she just plonks herself down and stares at you if you have upset her then you will be shunned and she will martyr for Wales. She observes before she acts she will sit and study Nog fixedly if he has something she might want and she will wait until he takes his eyes of it even if only for a split second and shes in and its gone before he realises, alternatively she will turn herself into ninja dog and sidle up to him all the while pointedly NOT looking at the item she wants and slowly but firmly slide it out from under his nose.... she will give it back to him if he protests and goes after it, but the instant he moves on to something new shes in like a flash claiming it for herself. She doesnt seem to forget anything - except when it suits her at which point you get the head tilt and the "I have no idea what you mean" look.

So ermmmm is she smart? Yes and No lol

Back from a few lovely days at WagTails House - it was mild and mostly sunny, unlike now. Dogs had a fab time.

Jayne - you have been ill for too long, hope doctor can get things sorted quickly now.

Owl & Snow - sorry to hear more news of poorly relatives. Sal the dog sounds very collie-ish

We had dog ear trouble about a decade ago - I still find pinprick dots of blood in strange places!

Woe is me & my lost lawnmower for WagTails. I bought it from Amazon & arranged delivery to my friends in Wales who look after the house - scheduled delivery last week but nothing. Tracked with Yodel who said delivered safely to back porch of their house a week ago - house has no back porch! Drivers geocode is recorded at right house number but wrong road. Aargh! Amazon have been helpful so I'm sure I will get a lawnmower - eventually!