UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jimmy Jammering

merledogs

Glad lost persons are now accounted for and all okay.

Drudging along at work and still reeling from discovering the cost of a listing on Trip Advisor at £360 per year! A bit out of my league, so pondering whether to do WagTails ad on dog type sites which are more like £30 a pop. Learning that people really do mess you around - all keen, about to pay, then vanish. Especially annoying when its a former work colleague known for years and very awkward too!

Morning :happystrange:

Lovely portrait of an equally lovely horse :wub_anim:

Owl, hope you feel better very soon :GroupHug:

RMF A strained pectoral muscle with a pm boobie on top is not a good combination, believe me :laughingsmiley:

Does anyone know why Ceri's optician thinks that if he starts wearing contact lenses now (he's 15) he won't be able to wear them when he's in his thirties - I was too dumbfounded to ask, especially as I've been wearing them for nearly 45 years :blink:

Morning :happystrange:

Does anyone know why Ceri's optician thinks that if he starts wearing contact lenses now (he's 15) he won't be able to wear them when he's in his thirties - I was too dumbfounded to ask, especially as I've been wearing them for nearly 45 years :blink:

Our lovely resident optician, Gooster, will no doubt be able to answer this :) Sorry to hear about your strained muscle and I hope you soon feel better.

Ouch Whizzie, that's not small potatoes that Trip Advisor want! What about registering with the local tourist board so you get basic details posted with them. The self catering house opposite me get all of their bookings this way. People check the tourist board site, get a link to their house's website and take it from there. I think it costs them about a £100 a year. It is an anxious time waiting for the bookings to come in when you first start up but you will find a big difference as time goes on. At the end of my first season I'd had a sell-out year and forward bookings were coming in thick and fast. I found the most popular time of year and the first to book up was September followed by New Year. Sometimes what I thought of as main season got a bit sluggish - school holidays and such like. The thing to remember is it's the people without kids who have the money to spend on holidays and they usually prefer to visit outside school holidays. Don't let people mess you about either - you have to be firm with them and stick to that otherwise some will take advantage.

Gorgeous horse..I had a portrait done of my daughter's pony, about 30 years ago now and she still has it hanging on her living room wall.

Hope the tummy bug just paid a fleeting visit Owl, and has now departed.

How did you strain your pectoral muscle, or don't you know? You have my sympathy, sounds very painful. Haven't a clue about the contact lenses, can you google "how many years can they be worn for" or something?

I've just broken a cardinal rule, and gone with the only company to give us a quote for replacing the soffits fascias and guttering. They were the only ones whose sales guy talked to me like an intelligent human being and didn't insist on speaking to me and my OH together as if I am some feather brained idiot who wouldn't know the correct questions to ask. I hate being patronised by bl**dy men!

How did you strain your pectoral muscle, or don't you know? You have my sympathy, sounds very painful.

I've just broken a cardinal rule, and gone with the only company to give us a quote for replacing the soffits fascias and guttering. They were the only ones whose sales guy talked to me like an intelligent human being and didn't insist on speaking to me and my OH together as if I am some feather brained idiot who wouldn't know the correct questions to ask. I hate being patronised by bl**dy men!

I think I strained it by trying to move a heavy, wide sided sofa by pulling it towards me instead of pushing it away from me :wacko: I can't believe how many movements involve pecs :laugh:

You have my sympathy re. the sales guys - I had one phone me up about replacing some fascias and he insisted on calling me 'sugar' - bad move :mad: Thankfully the roofers we used recently were the complete opposite.

Owl, hope you feel better soon

Gooster, that is a beautiful portrait

Merledogs...glad you are o.k

Suzeanna, hopefully all will turn out o.k with the people doing your work... i loooooooove talking to garages as they hear a woman and try to pull the wool over my eyes, the best one was with my dads cylinder head.... boy did that bloke get a shock when he was trying to con us and i completely blew him away Lol

Whizzie, hope your ouchy is soon better...pulled muscles are horrible

well i rang my consultant again.... he wasn't there so i got his secretary to take a message for me and he has called me back... i am some what confused, i told him i am feeling no better even on the higher dose of drugs so i have to up them again (oh joy!!!) he said that my antibody levels had risen but they were coming down now.... this is why i am confused, i had my last blood test on 31 dec, saw the consultant 3 jan and was told then my levels were raised i have not had another blood test since so how can he know that they are coming down??? i wouldn't dream of calling him unless i was worried and i am not sure he believed me when i said i didn't feel any better.... i won't be calling again!!!

Wow that portrait is stunning!!

Liz you are more than welcome to have a link to Wagtails on my website if you would like :flowers:

Have been out to a college where they have been running a session on trying to encourage youngster to register and vote. Its been a bit disorganised and only 6 students actually attended today and I really didnt need to be there :rolleyes:

Sorry your consultant didn't help Griff :GroupHug:

With regards to contact lenses, I take each teen case as I come across them for suitability. I usually am happy to fit a teenager with daily disposables for sports etc from about 14/15, before going onto full time wear when they get to 16/17. One reluctance for opticians to fit younger people, is it gets them into the mindset that they never need to wear glasses again. It is important to keep a healthy balance and attitude with contact lenses and glasses. One thing you can find is if you wear your lenses all day every day from teenage years, that your eyes can struggle with comfort of the lenses as time goes on. Also if they are the soft standard lenses, your cornea can suffer from lack of oxygen and start to have new blood vessels grow into it. Moonboo - are your lenses the rigid gas permeable lenses? They can take a while to get used to, but are better for eyes longer term, which is why you have been able to wear them for 45 years.

Sorry your consultant didn't help Griff :GroupHug:

With regards to contact lenses, I take each teen case as I come across them for suitability. I usually am happy to fit a teenager with daily disposables for sports etc from about 14/15, before going onto full time wear when they get to 16/17. One reluctance for opticians to fit younger people, is it gets them into the mindset that they never need to wear glasses again. It is important to keep a healthy balance and attitude with contact lenses and glasses. One thing you can find is if you wear your lenses all day every day from teenage years, that your eyes can struggle with comfort of the lenses as time goes on. Also if they are the soft standard lenses, your cornea can suffer from lack of oxygen and start to have new blood vessels grow into it. Moonboo - are your lenses the rigid gas permeable lenses? They can take a while to get used to, but are better for eyes longer term, which is why you have been able to wear them for 45 years.

I started off with hard lenses when I was 5 (like inserting a small brick into your eye until you get used to them). Then I was given rigid gas permeable lenses but I was getting symptoms of oxygen starvation so moved on to Acuvue Oasys which have been fine once I discovered that I was allergic to the first solution I used which was literally gluing the lenses to my eye so that when they were removed they also took corneal cells with them, affecting my vision which recovered with the new solution, thankfully.

We were looking at Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism for Ceri - his prescription is Sph -175, Cyl -075 and Axis 125 in his right eye with Sph -375, Cyl -125 and Axis 55 in his left eye. His optician was quite happy for him to have them this time so I'm not sure what to do...

I would say so long as he is responsible, takes them out when he gets home from school, has weekends off and his hygiene is ok, then he should be fine to wear lenses.

Thank you :flowers: I'd be overseeing the hygiene etc so it wouldn't be a problem.

I actually prefer the gas permeable lenses, why aren't they available as an option for new lense wearers (they don't seem to be) if they're better in the long term?

They are an option, but due to the initial high cost outlay, most patients go for soft lenses as they can have a free trial, whereas for gas permeable lenses you have to pay for the lenses beforehand.

Also they aren't comfortable initially, so most patients tend to prefer the comfort and ease of getting used to soft lenses.

They are an option, but due to the initial high cost outlay, most patients go for soft lenses as they can have a free trial, whereas for gas permeable lenses you have to pay for the lenses beforehand.

Also they aren't comfortable initially, so most patients tend to prefer the comfort and ease of getting used to soft lenses.

Thanks, that's really useful info you've given me - Ceri's optician can be a bit cagey and I don't trust mine with him at all :err: