UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July's Jolly Jests

merledogs

Glad abscess has calmed down, Yantan.

Strange thing about that dog last night, she was found by a friend of a friend who had just started work at that stables but I didn't know that. This lady spent a couple of hours looking for owner before handing the poor old dog in, and only did so because dog was very growly and snappy due to confusion and really needed to be kennelled for safety. But she searched on net, facebook etc and shared with friends, and one of them rang me later on. She would have found somewhere for the dog if no owner had come forward. She knew at once that the dog was blind and confused as she was trying to pick a fight with some stock fencing when caught. Old terriers, they never know when to retire!

• Like 1

Took Louie for a walk and a white van was coming up the road and the driver was wearing a Mickey Mouse mask :confused: Hows that for random lol

Bank robbers for sure !

I would have been scared stiff in that situation, Alex. Well done you and your dogs for keeping calm.

I did go to the canal festival which was lovely and had a narrow boat trip up the canal and walked back. On the way up we were discussing the complete lack of waterfowl except for a heron, when last year there were many families of duck, coot and moorhen. On the stroll back, I discovered why. A mink came out of the water and crossed the towpath into woodland. There were a couple of people fishing and I asked them if they had seen it, and they had but didn't know what it was. I explained it was a mink and said I hoped it was the only one because if they start breeding they can clear everything else out including water voles. Then it appeared again followed by 4 youngsters and they all dived in and swam to the other side. I said this is very bad news and no wonder no waterfowl had bred. Then this young woman who was fishing went ballistic and said "They are only little babies, why don't you leave them alone, they have as much right to live as you, I believe in animal rights but you hate animals and just want to kill them etc etc." If I could have got a word I would have explained the mink situation as she obviously had no clue that they are not native, but she was tearful and really distraught. Never argue with a hysterical woman with bucket of maggots in hand.Thought it strange that such a keen animal rights person was angling, but there you go. So off I went feeling like an evil monster and had a chat with the canal wildlife team who had been wondering why all the resident creatures had gone. I hope the mink don't take over any more of the canal. They are beautiful, just in the wrong place. There is nothing except them and a heron on 3 miles of waterway. :unsure:

Wispa had to stay at home, as a towpath with cyclists and dogs is no place for her. Good thing too, Wispa v angry mink mum eeek! So will trundle off into the woods in a bit and hope I don't manage to offend anyone else. :confused:

Sounds like she needed offending. Just think of how much wildlife has been ripped to bits and eaten by the mink. They clear everything in thier path. Im sure someone else who needs offending will appear soon and you will forget all about the old one !

Started walking through the bullock field this morning but the bullocks were blocking the way. That was fine, they ignored us yesterday when we walked within six feet of them, so we'll just go round them. Bullocks had other ideas and started walking towards us, so we side swerved through the stile into the cow field. The bullocks were very inquisitive, so we stood the other side of the stile looking at them. They were very interested in the dogs. The one with the white face is the ringleader :wub:

bullocks.jpg

Next thing I know the cows are flanking us on the other side and we got caught in a pincer movement between them and the bulls, so we beat a hasty retreat. The cows were only coming to see their mates but I didn't want to get caught in the middle of them with four dogs.

cowsnbullocks.jpg

(You can see the stile in between the middle of the cows and bullocks.)

The cutest moment was when Taffy and a bullock were literally nose to nose sniffing each other :wub: I don't know who was more shocked. A couple of years ago he'd have been chasing/barking if I had him that close - he's come such a long way with a bit of training and I'm so proud of my boy :wub: (ETA: Taffy was one side of the stile and the bullock the other, I wouldn't let him run into the middle of them).

Well done Molly and Glen :flowers:

Cows are such entertaining animals. They mean no harm but sometimes the devil takes over

:wavey: back from sunny and rainy Scotland. Had a brilliant time - few trips out to various bits of Loch Lomond and (a very wet) Ayr beach. Ate lots of deliciously bad food and drunk loads. Am now on mega diet..... well maybe next week as we brought stuff back with us lol. Having a few days in London now then back to France on Thursday.

Will go read back now and see what everyone's been up to

Edited by eve

I can say that you drink double the full fat coke, than diet. I always drink pepsi max, but coke was ona good offer, its going downvery quick. wont be buying it again

ive got 3 out of 5 dogs with kennel cough. one was throwing up. oh goody

Glad you enjoyed your break Eve. Are you doing anything special in London?

Michelle thanks - the abscess seems to have calmed down now although I have developed mouth ulcers but they are nothing in comparison to the pain of the abscess at it's worst.

Archie is going camping next month for the first time ever! He's going to be doing The 3 Peaks Challenge. I shall be left at home completely on my own with not one animal for company - the first time in oh, must be 27/28 years!

Michelle thanks - the abscess seems to have calmed down now although I have developed mouth ulcers but they are nothing in comparison to the pain of the abscess at it's worst.

Archie is going camping next month for the first time ever! He's going to be doing The 3 Peaks Challenge. I shall be left at home completely on my own with not one animal for company - the first time in oh, must be 27/28 years!

That is going to be very odd, I can't imagine being in the house without a dog!

Sorry about the abscess, I've had a few of those and dread it happening again, it really is an awful pain.

I'm doing some clicker training with Fern along the road, to help with her steering issues and pulling towards other dogs. She loves the liver treats so much that in her efforts to keep eye contact with me, she fell off the kerb more times than I could count this morning! Poor girl. I think we will restrict practising for the times that she is walking on the hedge/fence side of the path :)

My dog freddie died on 1st jan this year with heart failure. I was devestated. Halifax have just sent me through a renewal. I have just rung and told them how annoyed and upset I am ...... they are going to ring back ....

My dog freddie died on 1st jan this year with heart failure. I was devestated. Halifax have just sent me through a renewal. I have just rung and told them how annoyed and upset I am ...... they are going to ring back ....

aw Alicia :big hug: that hurts

/rant I hate these smilies - where tf has the hug gone? - end of rant/