UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July's Jolly Jests

merledogs

We are a bit the worse for wear! There was a bright patch this afternoon so we buzzed off to our nearest bit of moorland and got some offlead running - yay! Then we came home to find the enthusiasts who have bought the decrepit Ferguson tractor in our shed had turned up to collect. Waited for thunderstorms to go over. Then 6 of us shoved it out of the shed and rolled it down to the road a few yards at a time using chocks as no functioning brakes or gears, up on to the trailer and off it went. Then a lady drove by and asked if we had seen a collie which got spooked by thunder and legged it from a farm. We hadn't, but of course Wispa and I went to help. Collie has run in panic for a bit then gone round in circle up behind her home, so hope she will be back there soon. Have completely hammered my bad ankle. Wispa had supper and crashed out, but still running in her sleep. Need my bed :sleeping_02:

Marge, that is serious garlic!

Excellent Alex, I hope he enjoyed it, i'd love to have the fitness to do it. OH and friends have completed it but a few have dropped out of L'etape tomorrow...they may regret that as the last fab day of riding weather compared to here...where it is STILL raining!!

Hope your ankle gets better with some rest Owl.

I know there are snail lovers here so I apologise for asking, but I am having a break down with the number of slugs and snails again. Barrier techniques aren't working on this rain and nemotades (?) are forcing them all out of the soil onto the patio slab and containers which means that I struggle to step out the back door to call the cats in :-(

Sorry for the winge xxxx

Moaning :tired:

Excellent Alex, I hope he enjoyed it, i'd love to have the fitness to do it. OH and friends have completed it but a few have dropped out of L'etape tomorrow...they may regret that as the last fab day of riding weather compared to here...where it is STILL raining!!

I've checked his Twitter and they've all completed it. Said there were some major crashes, people in terrible states and 30 degree heat though, so not pleasant. :unsure:

A picture of our MD in a pair of cycling shorts is not something I want imprinted on my brain though :confused:

Today I will mostly be walking the dogs, then heading off to Altrincham Garden Centre to pick up some roses and then back in time to watch the mens' Wimbledon final.

Collie is home this morning. Not surprising we lost the track on a main road. The little thing had jumped straight into the car of a rescue volunteer who saw her running around and pulled up. Our out of hours DW service is inadequate, not fault of DWs as they are great but of official red tape. You can only report found dogs to them and they will pick them up. They aren't allowed to take details of lost ones, you have to wait until Council offices are open to register them. But the Chesterfield police, who are under no obligation to do anything about stray dogs at all, will register them as lost/found property. It was they who put owner and finder in touch with each other this morning.

• Like 1

Morning. Has the makings of another seriously hot day here.

Scoobs had bad case of the trots just as we were going to bed last night and ended up having 2 baths. Fingers crossed he's produced all he is going to for now.

We used to be over-run with snails and slugs here but frogs moved in so they are kept down to lower numbers these days. We still have enough but they tend to stick to the weeds. Maybe leave some weed patches knocking about in the hope they will take to them. I'm no help on the getting rid front apart from scooping them up and placing them elsewhere. I don't like the thought of getting rid by horrible methods so I have never gone there. Says she who finds herself cutting grass, yet again cos it's too high thanks to rain, with shears incase she mows a frog.

Ouch re ankle Owl. Not funny. Hope you can rest it and it eases up quickly. Glad collie has been reunited.

Glad those you know got through the racing ok Murtle & Alex. Happy rose hunting Alex.

Excellent news Alex, it's a sight I've scarily found to be normal now...guys in Lycra!

Michelle I struggle to with nasty ways and don't want anything harmful to other animals. We put them down Stairs and watch them race back it's comical but frustrating!!

For owley one and Scoobs :GroupHug:

I don't bother getting rid of slugs or snails, even though we get loads. They don't do too much damage, just nibble some young leaves and I'm sure the plants don't mind.

I'm in the 'crock' corner as well - slept funny last night and my neck is hurting every time I turn my head.

RMF : Have bought six David Austin roses today.

Oh gosh, no it's not the damage they do, I'm not that fussy about the plants and have stopped growing veggies because they devour them. It's just that there are so many that I walk on them when I go out to get the cats - or just to go out in the garden. Especially at the moment we are waiting for the mowers to get some decent weather to mow the grass so it's long...and more weeds than grass! Also the cats bring in the slugs wrapped up in their fur from when they lie in the garden. There are loads and loads of babies at the moment - and I unfortunately crushed an adult in the window frame yesterday when I'd opened it for some fresh air. I didn't see him there :-(

Husky pup was found thank goodness. Spent a lot of today resting and listening to radio but got out to shop and did an easy walk with Wispa. Ankle a bit better, bug still around.

I hate trolls. Not the trolls in Pratchett novels which are quite nice in a geological kind of way, but those who jeer at others on Facebook. I'm annoyed with myself because the insults got to me. The person has been banned from the group and reported. I should pity him really, he probably can't find anything more interesting to do on a Sunday afternoon