UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August Rmf

Laurel n Hardy

Though I did get MTUV the other day by accident for Perl's attack of the runs, and he seems to have developed a new tactic: rather than suggesting treatments, he asks me what I want him to prescribe. Which is not really the idea of a visit to the vet to my mind, I think he's supposed to tell ME what the animal needs! rolleyes.gif

Blimey ! that's one well trained vet laugh.gif

Really pleased to hear the good news about Bendolina :partytime:

RMF : I have hopefully sorted the issue with the supplier and have started reading a bit of Dale Carnegie (about how to stop worrying and live your life) which I found in my director's cupboard, which is actually quite good so I am going to buy the book secondhand and give it a go.

I am supposed to be having some time off before my next CIPS course starts, so why am I starting to read up on contract law again which is the next one I'm doing? :rolleyes: I do like studying the legal part of it though, it's far more interesting than the other boring stuff.

I hate it when support people expect you to do something that they do 10 times a day, and you do once every three years, then become sarcastic when you fumble about and can't do it instantly. mecry.gif

I try very hard not to be that kind of support person. Sometimes though I think I fail, 'specially when it's the same person asking the same thing over and over again - not that I think you are that kind of special customer, just that I've had a lot of them this week and would really rather it be Saturday about now.

I'm currently trying to figure out why a particular model keeps diverging immediately. It must be something setup wrong as otherwise I would expect it to start solving normally and then have a fit when the maths goes squiffy in a grid cell. The model is huge, and I'm going through the tedious task of switching some things off and hitting solve to see whether it diverges or not with different things switched on and off. I'm booooored. It's boooooooring especially when the customer is more than capable of doing this kind of investigation himself - he just doesn't want to.

Oh joy another case has just come in with non-convergence. It's obviously some kind of conspiracy....

I'm currently trying to figure out why a particular model keeps diverging immediately. It must be something setup wrong as otherwise I would expect it to start solving normally and then have a fit when the maths goes squiffy in a grid cell. The model is huge, and I'm going through the tedious task of switching some things off and hitting solve to see whether it diverges or not with different things switched on and off. I'm booooored. It's boooooooring especially when the customer is more than capable of doing this kind of investigation himself - he just doesn't want to.

ask him to switch it on and off 3 times that will sort it biggrin.gif

I try very hard not to be that kind of support person. Sometimes though I think I fail, 'specially when it's the same person asking the same thing over and over again - not that I think you are that kind of special customer, just that I've had a lot of them this week and would really rather it be Saturday about now.

In general, I am in the position of giving tech support rather than receiving it: this was a situation where I thought something might have broken that I didn't have access to. But this sort of experience makes me remember again why I try never to make people feel stupid for asking for help, even if they do screw up from time to time: who can say they are universally competent in all areas of life?

This is an area where I find that a lot of the time I have skills that are roughly equivalent to the people giving the support. I'm really not as useless as he made me feel.

But this guy insisted I use unfamiliar software for testing (rather than the stuff that I already had installed, which could have done the job perfectly well if he'd just explained what he wanted me to do with it!) , had me install it while I was on the phone to him so I was struggling to do it in a rush, gave me the wrong menu item names to look for, then gave me quickfire commandline instructions to type in then snarked at me when I misheard him or made a typo!

He's the head of their support team, and frankly several of the people who work for him do a much better job in terms of the people skills, I wish I'd asked for one of them. But I shall have the last laugh, I am moving everything away from them shortly and they will lose several thousand quids worth of work. laugh.gif

I just looked at my record of exam results and have realised that, despite my dithering, I have managed, out of 10 exams (apart from the first one which I failed and had to resit), 4 passes, 5 credits and 1 distinction. Do you think this will stop me dithering and hand wringing before the next exam/result? Not a bloody chance :rolleyes:

RMEmbarrassingF: I forgot about this until this morning, but thought it would give you all a laugh. On Sunday when I got dressed to take the dogs out, I chucked on a pair of jeans which were on the chair and which I'd worn to Sainsburys the day before. After getting out of the car and getting halfway down the field, a lady I sometimes talk to pointed out there was a big lump in my trousers. It turns out that I had taken the jeans and knickers off at the same time and chucked them over the chair, then when I had picked them up, the knickers must have travelled down the leg and were stuck at the bottom of the leg where they were tucked into my ankle wellies :laugh: Good job I had the jeans tucked into the wellies, imagine if they'd fallen out while I was walking :blush: I did manage to surrepticiously stop and whip them out and pocket them.

But this guy insisted I use unfamiliar software for testing (rather than the stuff that I already had installed, which could have done the job perfectly well if he'd just explained what he wanted me to do with it!) , had me install it while I was on the phone to him so I was struggling to do it in a rush, gave me the wrong menu item names to look for, then gave me quickfire commandline instructions to type in then snarked at me when I misheard him or made a typo!

Ah well he's a git then! I'm definitely not like that even when I get fed up ......a lot of my support is via email due to the engineery typeness of it all and the need to give (well my need to give) long detailed explanations - in the hope that I am teaching users something rather than just fixing so that they can fix it for themselves next time. The users I get tired of are those that have used the software longer than I have, that I give the same long explanations to about why something happened, how to recognise the problem and how to fix it and they still come back time and time again for the same damn thing - mainly because I guess they can't be bothered to fix it. I now have a new tactic. I don't fix it for those people where I would normally send back the explanation along with the fixed model, instead I just give a step by step account of what they should do themselves.

I do get fed up doing people's job for them though - I don't get paid their huge designer wage and yet they seem to think that software support means I will tell them how they can solve their thermal problem or how they should design their ventilation system. If they want that they should really be paying for the consultancy, but they get very stroppy when I forward them onto the relevant sales person.....

ask him to switch it on and off 3 times that will sort it biggrin.gif

That didn't solve it, but I did figure out the problem and have just sent an email telling him how to sort it :D

I also told him off for a lot of sloppy modelling and gridding.....

Next case isn't non convergence really, more unrealistic expectations, but I've just got an out of office reply from him so I guess it can't be urgent then....

Really pleased Bens okay , can echo the warning that some dogs do get a bit space cadet like on Tramadol , I understand from my Sri Lanka Vets they can taste bitter to dogs and we found hiding them in cheese triangles works really well

Tramadol makes me space cadet like too so I can sympathise with any dogs on it! I've had some with my broken toe this week and woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

tramadol spaces me out, but my friend can still drive with it and it doesnt touch the pain, wow!

the food ive been trying to get out of my broken tooth was a piece of tooth. it didnt hurt before but think ive just pulled the plug

oooowwwwwwww

Im picking a dog up tomorrow so cant go to the dentist

I found this thread via 'View New Content' :biggrin:

Celeste, great news about Ben. You must be so relieved. Now you just have to get him to eat his tablets :rolleyes:

Victoria, I do hope you are not right in this instance.

Mrs B, I will volunteer to taste test your next lime cake :biggrin:

Alex, hope you get your new supplier sorted soon. You would think people would be jumping through hoops to get new customers in this day and age, but no! And I think you were subconciously trying to do your superwoman act by putting your knickers on the outside, you just got them in the wrong place!! :laugh:

Sam, have you thought about going into another field, ie training in the same industry? :GroupHug:

CT, keeping fingers crossed for a good result from Dex' operation. :GroupHug:

So far ben seems to be not to bad on the Tramadol, he was a bit subdued in the field, normally he would chase after any motor bikes that go past on the road, but he sat and looked off into the distance in a bit of a daze wub.gif, the vet did say any space cadetedness should wear off after a few days.