UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lodger Dilemma

ClazUK

I've decided to get a lodger to help with the bills. I've been off work since June and need to go back PDQ but the money is dire and the hours long and I've enjoyed having time at home with the dogs and a tidy house (for a change). I've advertised, had a few enquiries and now I have a huge lodger dilemma going on.

I have 2 really nice guys, both interested in living here, both in different situations, both would be very different to live with.

A - 29, Polish, single. IT tech support type working 3 miles away. Works long hours and alternate weekends as he has a huge credit card bill to pay off. Nice bloke, great English, easy to chat with. Quiet, polite in a way you don't see with English 20-somethings very often nowadays :rolleyes: Fantastic with the dogs, even offered to walk them if I was working evenings.

M - 50s, Scottish, married. Works at Silverstone in motor racing, about 15 miles away. Only wants the room Monday to Thursday. Away a lot when racing. Goes home to Kent when not working. Again, easy to talk to, seems nice, don't think he'll be much trouble. OK with the dogs but was picking hairs off his trousers!

A would pay £350, M would pay £250. I need about £700 monthly to survive. Of the two I think A would be easiest to live with but he'll be around weekends. M won't be here much but I'll need to work longer hours to pay my bills, one of the reasons for doing this is to have more time for the house and dogs.

Now.... the big :unsure: is...... I have room for both. There are three bedrooms here. I could always have both of them (assuming they were ok with living in a 3 person household). Then it would take a massive amount of pressure off me, I could work proper part time hours and I'd not need to disappoint either.

What do I doooooooooooooooo? Heeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeee pleeeeeeeeease :unsure:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

M sounds like good bet but I see no reason why he should pay less than A. He is effect renting the room from you which means that you can't rent it to anyone else while he's not using it. If he pays the whole wack he can then move his personsal effects in, stay when he likes and it is all his room, if he's only renting it Monday to Thursday then if he pays less then you should be able to use the room while he's not there rather like a hotel room. That's my opinion for what its worth.

How would you feel about having someone there at the weekends as thats the only time you have with Matt? If you dont mind working part-time I would go with the person who is not there all the time and you can have the best of both worlds. IMO living with 2 lodgers would make me feel out numbered in my own home.

Its a hard decision, good luck :biggrin:

I should have clarified.... A works alternate weekends, all day Saturday and Sunday am.

If I have a bit of spare £££s I could always go to Matts on the weekends A isn't working so we still get a bit of privacy.

Thanks for your replies so far - just meeting with Kelly Peachy for a dog walk but I'll be back in a bit - keep 'em coming :flowers:

I'd go with A. You already said you were comfortable with him. He was comfortable with the dogs and willing to help you with them. Also, you mentioned him working alternate weekends and long hours so he might not be home much. I also agree with Nettie, M should pay the same rate if he is being classed as a lodger. Not sure how long M would stay if he is pulling dog hairs off on his first visit :unsure: We have a couple of Polish men working here and they are both very lovely helpful and polite young men. :biggrin: You could rent the smaller room to part time silverstone blokey. Then you could have free IT services and tickets to Silverstone to use/auction :laugh:

I would go with both on a months trial,make that clear to both. Then decide whether you want which one or both. You won't know until you try but I would definately charge them both the same. The room is rented to them whether they are in it or not. They would obviously want their stuff left in there and you to not rent it to someone else whilst they weren't there!! Go for both and good luck. x :)

On reading it sounds ideal if you take both BUT, would that then invade too much of your own space. Going from empty rooms to full house may be a big shock to the system.

At least with person B you know they wont be there all week. Can any supply you with references- personal safety & all that.

Trial it for a month, make sure you have a binding contract that protects you & not them. should any problems arise you can always chuck them out

I wouldn't agree to a 'pro-rata' rent, M should pay the normal weekly rent, it's up to him if he stays there or not.

If it was me I'd probably go with having one lodger first then if that works ok try for getting a second one in too.

A sounds nicer and more hound compatible :flowers:

My son used to have two lodgers in his three bed apartment, both female air hostesses. He charged them the same whether they were in the room five nights a week or only three, and they didn't complain.

Which one did you feel more comfortable with? bearing in mind that you might in a forgetful mood wander out of your bedroom in your scanties heading for the bathroom and collide with him? which one might make you feel ..what's the word I want..not threatened exactly, but more aware that he is the opposite sex? The one nearer your age might turn out to be a little toooo friendly.

Is there enough room in the house for A to have his own sitting space as well as a bedroom, so he won't be playing gooseberry when Matt is there, or will you end up watching as they sit together watching the footie/going down the pub etc?

A sounds a better choice re the dogs, t'other one would probably start complaining about the dog hair if he was picking it off.....

Taking them both would only be an option if the rooms are ensuite..are they? otherwise two blokes and you fighting for the bathroom in the morning would be fun...and the lavatory could be :sick01: :run4hills:

I'd take both on a trial basis. You can always get away with Matt if it gets crowded and you need peace, and sometimes it's easier to have more than one lodger - a bit more detached. In some ways, it's easier to get on with your own life if there are more people around. One lodger and you might just feel a bit weird at times... :unsure:

One-lodger Liz.

If you have a separate reception room (your current dining room?) which you could bung a second hand sofa in, then they could have their own living room and you/Matt could have your own separate space. It just means you can't use the dining room on weekends if A is in it.

If they are both happy to go along with that, then go for it and give them both a trial.

Alternatively, have A but give him the option of the little/box room as a living room/computer room.