UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lodger Dilemma

ClazUK

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid the hair picker :flowers: A sounds ok - how are you with the girlfriend/boyfriend situation, have you thought about/discussed that ? I ended up with two lodgers, one who didn't pay :rolleyes: and as fab as my lodger was I had to ask tem both to leave eventually because the house was just too crowded (I moved OH in instead - handy that :laugh: )

Take your time :flowers:

I think it depends totally on the value you place on having the house completely lodger free at weekends

if you want 100 % to have every weekend totally lodger free than clearly chap B is your man , if you are prepared to share then go for chap A

remember that Chap A's working hours could change and he could end up at home with you the same time Matt visits

also as Wendy says how would you feel if chap A stopped being single and wanted adult sleepovers ?

you appear to value time alone with Matt very highly so its a matter of weather* your need for cash is greater than your need for total privacy at this moment in time

Sam

* I know that my spelling of weather is wrong but I sooooooo don't know how to spell the other weather thats not actually weather related

If you need to get a lodger I would go with the one you think you will get on best with, even if that means he is around a bit more - the way they were with the dogs would be a priority factor for me, especially if they were going to be alone in the house with them at times.

Do you think B didn't like dogs or was he just absentmindedly picking the hair off? I'm sure I do that at times and I obviously love dogs, but did B interact with them? I couldn't have a lodger that wasn't keen on dogs.

Some of our friends have had a few lodgers - they tend to go for nurses as they do shift work and are often working at w/ends and it's worked out really well for them. We've been over quite a few times and not once met any of their lodgers (they've had one at a time) - if they are home they are usually in their room.

If you were running a B&B I think it would be fair to charge B less for only staying 4-5 nights a week, but as you're not and he would be renting out a room you couldn't otherwise use, I think I agree with the others that he should pay the same.

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there looking to rent a room, so don't rush into anything with anyone if you're not feeling entirely sure - and checking out references is a VERY good idea. Be careful, I had a less than pleasant experience when I took in a lodger when Rob went to Canada, although I don't know that I could have foreseen the problems.

Do you think B didn't like dogs or was he just absentmindedly picking the hair off? I'm sure I do that at times and I obviously love dogs, but did B interact with them? I couldn't have a lodger that wasn't keen on dogs.

I was wondering if the picking was fussy or absentminded too :) I think B should pay full rent though - if he rented a house, he wouldn't get reduced rent because he's not there all the time.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Rudi

Sam

* I know that my spelling of weather is wrong but I sooooooo don't know how to spell the other weather thats not actually weather related

Just drop the 'a' in the weather related weather and add the 'h' you'll have the none weather related whether.

If you try to remember that you sort of pronounce the 'h' in whether but not in weather that may help :flowers:

A - 29, Polish, single. IT tech support type working 3 miles away. Works long hours and alternate weekends as he has a huge credit card bill to pay off. Nice bloke, great English, easy to chat with. Quiet, polite in a way you don't see with English 20-somethings very often nowadays :rolleyes: Fantastic with the dogs, even offered to walk them if I was working evenings.

the bit that stands out for me here... do you feel that he will be able to pay his rent on time and not end up in more financial problems that mean you end up with a non paying lodger instead.

I would think B would give you more privacy at weekends but i would tell him you want £300 for this. perhaps agree that you wont use the room when he isnt there and offer to meet him half way between your rent price and his offer. This would leave you needed £400 a month which on current minimum wage would leave you only needing to work about 22 hours a week to cover yourself.

If you go with Polish bloke, will Matt be happy for you to take the dogs up to his when Pole isnt working the weekend. If you had to board them you would be running up further costs.

For me, it would be Polish bloke because he likes dogs but your privacy is probably more important than £50 and a dog lover

A likes dogs and is willing to walk yours for you - that could come in very handy and the fact that he likes dogs would be the clincher for me.

Also I personally would just stick with him first and see how it goes.

And I thought the idea of making the small room a sitting room for him would ensure your privacy when Matt comes and also stop the 'boys' ganging up on you re football etc.

I know it would mean you getting a part time job to make the money up but that would also benefit you - getting out

of the house at regular times and a reason to tart yourself up if you get what I mean.

M is paying less for less time but what would happen if he wantsneeds to stay friday or over the weekend? Would you have trouble getting more money from him? Just a feeling I have. Would you worry about him being alone with the dogs?

When I was reading it I felt instictively that A was the one - M I didn't feel sure about - again just a feeling.

I'd go with A. You already said you were comfortable with him. He was comfortable with the dogs and willing to help you with them. Also, you mentioned him working alternate weekends and long hours so he might not be home much. I also agree with Nettie, M should pay the same rate if he is being classed as a lodger. Not sure how long M would stay if he is pulling dog hairs off on his first visit :unsure: We have a couple of Polish men working here and they are both very lovely helpful and polite young men. :biggrin: You could rent the smaller room to part time silverstone blokey. Then you could have free IT services and tickets to Silverstone to use/auction :laugh:

I agree totally with this idea :biggrin:

the bit that stands out for me here... do you feel that he will be able to pay his rent on time and not end up in more financial problems that mean you end up with a non paying lodger instead.

I'd second that as I work in rented housing. Make sure you get good references and find out why they're leaving their last one or two lodgings. Make sure it's clear from the outset, no rent=no room, however well you get on, it can get a bit awkward asking for money. :flowers:

Is the Polish guy really hunky :unsure:

If so then you definitely need to take him and leave the spare room as a spare for any visiting Fugees. These 2 might be related :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Secondly, can I suggest that both move in and we can have a Big Brother style eviction after a month.

The fugees can all vote one out.

Oooh yes I like this idea. :biggrin:

I'd go with M and expect him to pay the same rent as A would have. Assuming the hair picking was absent minded not that he doesn't like dogs.

Crikey you've all been busy :biggrin:

I get the impression A is in debt cos he was living with his Polish g/f of 5 years until they split about 6 months ago and they ran up debts together. He's currently dossing with mates since the split but it's crowded and a bit far for work to be practical (and I don't think the option is there long term, anyway).

M has always had dogs at home so I think he's going be okay with mine. In his defence he'd just arrived from work in some corporate 'casual' gear - logos all over and black trousers :laugh: He used to be based at Mallory Park but the company recently relocated, hence him looking down here.

There's one thing I've not mentioned but I ought to.... I know a lot of people think "oooh no, a lodger, lack of privacy" but I'm not very good at living on my own. At the moment I can go days without seeing anybody and I hate it. The RIGHT person/people would help bring a bit of structure into my haphazard days, as would getting back to work.

Re privacy for Matt & I, we have the dining room, the conservatory and the lounge. All 3 of us could ignore each other if needs be. There is Freeview in the dining room and Virgin in the lounge so even choosing TV channels is no big deal. A asked about wireless broadband cos he uses his PC a lot for keeping in touch with family and asked if it worked ok in the spare room, so I think he plans to spend a bit of time away from us anyway.

I already take the dogs up to Matts about once a month, so that can continue.

The reason M is going to pay less is cos I advertised I'd renegotiate rent for a weekday only let, so my fault not his. And I'm planning on offering him the single shoe box room (he lives out of a suitcase apparently) and A would get the decent sized one as it would be his only home.

I'd get references on both whatever I do, and get some sort of contract and notice arrangement drawn up and signed, too. I intended it to be a 3 monthly renewable contact on both sides. I've told both I want a damages deposit, also - both seemed ok with that, I think it's fairly standard nowadays.

Marion & Melp, A is eye candy, M is not. I too like the idea of a Refuge Eviction at the month end :laugh:

Just remember, the fewer hours you work, the more time you will be at home during the week.

Secondly, can I suggest that both move in and we can have a Big Brother style eviction after a month.

The fugees can all vote one out.

I definitely favour this idea :laugh: Do you have a webcam please? :huh: