UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Tribute To Sophie

Katiebob

This is difficult, this post.

Sophie my lovely black cat has now been missing for over a month. Clearly I can't post in Rainbow Bridge because for all I know she's been taken in by another family or to a rehoming centre (although she is microchipped) but equally she could have been taken by a fox or some other horrid fate has befallen her. I don't know, and because I don't know I just wanted to log some sort of tribute to her because she is very special.

Sophie came to me with another cat, Tammy, from RSPCA Leybourne in Kent. She and Tammy had been found abandoned, in a cat bed, with Tammy giving birth to kittens. She was taken to the RSPCA because they heard the kittens and realised the cats needed help. On arrival at the RSPCA, they weren't sure who of the two cats the kittens belonged to because both were mothering them, but eventually realised it was Tammy because she still had a kitten stuck in the birth canal which required emergency delivery. They were taken to the vet (who by chance happened to be my vet) and the 'stuck' kitten was delivered.

When I first met them, they were 'not for rehoming' because Sophie and Tammy were still both nurturing these tiny kittens. I asked if I could rehome them when the kittens were weaned and the RSPCA latched on to me immediately - they thought I wanted the cats and the kittens!! Yeah, right!!!! I explained that I was only interested in the older cats and they were reserved to me until the kittens were weaned. We went through lots of dramas in those few weeks - not least because the Centre kept losing the 'reserved' forms and offering them to other people but I managed to persuade them, each time, that they really were reserved to me. Both cats (and kittens) were featured on Pet Rescue and I ended up appearing on that show too, for my sins :rolleyes: :laugh:

When I first took them home it was a bit difficult because they were extremely wary of my (totally cat friendly) dogs and they used to stalk the dogs and leap on them, as a lion would its prey :ohmy: Those were interesting times but we got over them, thankfully.

Sophie and Tammy became totally part of the family, and both were friendly with my old cat, Elliott, as well, although he wasn't too impressed with them. I'd guess they were around 2 when we adopted them.

Tammy, true to her tortoiseshell colouring, was always a little aloof but Sophie became totally involved in everything we did. She worked out that one of my sisters would come home from work, sit on the settee and eat her dinner. Fiona has always had a sweet tooth so her pudding of whatever and cream would always finish with Sophie licking the bowl clean :) Sophie used to paw her sometimes even before the bowl was offered.

Sophie's other great trick was to come for walks with the dogs. It wasn't totally safe road-wise where we lived so I used to have to be very careful where I took the dogs when she decided to tag along but it was amusing and the neighbours would laugh at her running in between the dogs' legs. Even when the number of dogs increased to 5, she would still want to join in.

We moved to this much safer and much more rural location and Sophie settled in well. We've been here almost 3 years now; last year both Sophie & Tammy developed mammary tumours and they were both operated on. Both came through the operation well. Suddenly this summer, Sophie had an allergic reaction of some kind and her ears became very inflamed. I took her to the vet and he administered an antibiotic injection and asked me to bathe her ears. I was doing that although Sophie hated it and refused to come indoors other than to eat. She did make a point though of welcoming all of us and all visitors to the house by greeting them when they drove into our front garden. Most people who have adopted a Bengal from BCR via me have met Sophie :wub:

Sophie went missing on the 6th October. I have searched the area, spoken to all the neighbours who have checked all their outbuildings (and it is very rural around here) and notified PetLog. No-one has seen her :( I miss her. Tammy misses her. We all miss her.

I hope that someone has taken her in and she is safe. I prefer to think of her with someone else rather than the alternative of her being trapped underground or dead. I'm not totally without hope that one day she will just walk through the cat-flap (well, actually she was rubbish with the cat flap so she'll bash it about a dozen times before she ventures through :rolleyes: ) but I think it's becoming less likely every day.

Wherever you are, dear Sophie, take care sweetheart. :wub: :wub:

12cff312606eeb2020f54d72039018da.JPG

Mods - please can you move this to Rainbow Bridge with the following postscript.

Today we found Sophie's body. She had crawled into the 'drip tray' beneath the engine of my sister's car. :mecry: :mecry:

I'm so sorry, Sophie - you were so special :wub: I looked everywhere for you - except there :( Sleep tight, little one

Edited by Katiebob

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having had cats missing in action myself I know how you're feeling :GroupHug:

One of my boys, Malcom, has been missing now since May 2005. I have never felt that he was dead, always that he was somewhere and probably not too far away. Vashti did a reading for him last year and the things she said were the things I was feeling anyway. She described the area he'd wandered too, what had happened to him and knew a little about his new life. It has helped to know he's happy. Maybe somebody could do a reading for Sophie?