UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mill Rescue

Pingu

as some of you may know I and someoen else went to visit Mill Rescue the other week to take a look at the place for ourselves. This has been posted in the rescue section of the refuge for the past week but I am now happy for it to go into general circulation.

Mill Rescue

Date visited 11 August 2007

Apologies to Maggie for this bit but on first impressions when we were shown round the side entrance my heart sank. The words I thought of rhymed with "hit" and "clucking bell".

Its a working farm and is in need of repairs. The bit that Maggie and family live in has seen better days but I have to say that the main kennel area is an awful lot better and is certainly better than some other places I have seen. I would even go as far to say that the kennel area was in better repair etc than the main house that Maggie lives in.

There are two kennel areas one which is small and only really suitable for small dogs and for short periods of time but the main kennels are large and clean. They are much larger than the minimum requirement for boarding kennels and had raised water bowls and clean bedding . The one previous picture I have seen of the kennels there showed what appeared to be a v small kennel with 3 dogs in it. This in fact is actually an area where the goats normally live, hence the straw, and is once you go past the small doorway is a large room aprox 25 ft by 25ft that is bright and airy. The ground had fresh straw on it but the underlying ground is as you would expect in a livestock area (i.e. compacted and dry – this helps provide heat in winter months). Each kennel had electrical points available for plugging in the heat lamps (these were in the store room) to allow for winter kennelling.

The disinfectant they use to clean the kennels is the most expensive one available and is certainly up to the job of disinfecting the kennels. There was no evidence that the cleaning was being scrimped on with all the kennels being clean and showing no signs of stale urine etc being present at any time.

The dogs that were there looked healthy and well cared for. Based up on the Rottie that was there the food they are being given is a good one (Arden Grange) and the dogs showed no indications of illnesses or injuries. Rotties when in kennels can sometime lose the shine to their coat and it can turn a reddish brown colour. The Rottie there, whilst his coat was not sparkling, was in decent condition and was showing evidence that he was regularly exercised. OK he may have had a bath before we arrived but you cant hide the sort of shedding and general feel to the coat that a Rottie gets when they are distressed and run down. The other dogs there were in a similar condition.

All dogs had a record sheet that showed vaccination, worming and flea treatment dates along with a daily routine checklist for various things. Each dog also had a vaccination card with the appropriate vaccinations (and vaccine stickers) showing as well as when worming etc had taken place.

Maggie admits that in the past she has made mistakes. She gets regular visits from the RSPCA and has taken on board suggestions they have made to improve both general conditions and the admin side. Personally I still feel the admin side could be beefed up a bit more and will write down some suggestions for Maggie if she would like me to. These are general admin type stuff rather than Rescue specific stuff.

If they are making a small fortune from the activities at Mill Rescue then there is very little evidence of it. What money that does come in looks to have been spent on securing the property and then on the kennels rather than providing a life of luxury for Maggie and her husband.

We were also shown the Mill itself and the rescues van. We were able to see anything we wanted to and all our questions were answered.

All in all, yes there are some issues but I have certainly seen much worse and Maggie seems to be committed to making whatever changes are required. The architects plans for what they eventually want to do are ambitious and well thought through but if they can achieve them then it will be a centre to rival those of some of the big organisations. The plans were certainly of the farm, from the surrounding features and road names, and had been drawn up (several versions) by an architect.

So all in all, as it was on the day we visited it was ok. I have been to much worse places and whilst there is still some room for improvements to be made these will take time and money and form the discussion we had with Maggie she seems committed to making them. It's not an ideal situation but which rescue is? Based upon what we saw I would say that people would be better off working with Maggie to help her rather than trying to shut her down as Mill Rescue has the potential to be a great rescue centre if what Maggie wants to do with it can be brought to life. The mistakes the rescue has made in the past are certainly regretable and sad. I dont think though that they were made out of mailice or deliberte intent. Magggie possibly still has a fair bit to learn about what works in rescue and my own opinionis that it wouold be better for rescue to help her to learn than to shut her down. From the frequent RSPCA visits I would say that the RSPCA inspector involved is doing the same - though I havnt been able to speak to him.

Since we have been I believe a couple of other rescues have viisted and if they would like to add any comments (good or bad) please feel free to do so. I dont pretend to be an expert on rescues and can only call it as I saw it and compare to other places I have seen.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is from the DT btw and was originally posted on dogpages

Dogs Trust does not “endorse” other rescues. We did, however, send someone to have a look at MR after a number of allegations had been made on internet forums and had been brought to our attention. Our interest is that we pay some of their neutering bills as part of our widespread campaign to reduce numbers of unwanted puppies.

The member of staff who visited found that the situation was no better and no worse than at many small rescues around the country, but that those who run it appeared to be doing so to the best of their ability within their limited resources. We decided that withdrawing the help for neutering would only make the situation more difficult, so elected to continue that support.

Simon Underwood

Director of Field Operations

[email protected]

Thank you for the above, I am sure it will put some minds to rest, however, if I may ask, were Mill Rescue aware of who you were and why you were coming and could they have tidied up especially for your visit?

I'm not in any way trying to pull apart the good works that you say are ongoing there but even I've been guilty of tidying up that bit more than usual if I know I have a visitor coming.

At last!!!

Someone going to take a look for themselves rather than going on rumour, gossip and hearsay! I am really pleased that this ahs been done, I have kept out of the whole sorry affair as I am a homechecker for many rescues and try not to get imbroiled in politics and semantics. I have watched and read the many many comments made on here and other forums and have spoken to Maggie on numerous occasions whilst this has been going on, you are absolutely right about Maggie not living in luxury, crikey at one point she only had a bucket for a loo!!

We should support and help these smaller rescues, encouraging and guiding rather than criticising...WELL DONE TO THE REFUGE I applaud you and commend you.

Thank you for the above, I am sure it will put some minds to rest, however, if I may ask, were Mill Rescue aware of who you were and why you were coming and could they have tidied up especially for your visit?

I'm not in any way trying to pull apart the good works that you say are ongoing there but even I've been guilty of tidying up that bit more than usual if I know I have a visitor coming.

A very valid question. yes maggi knew Pingu was going at some point, she didnt however know i was going along with him. I own a kennels, live and breath kennels and can smell a problem kennels from 200 yards. Yes you can clean up for a visit but you cant make a dog put on weight, develop a shiney coat and appear stress free for anyone. The dogs were looking well cared for, there was no smell, stale urine/feceas or dirty bedding. I even had a subtle dig under the straw the goats were on, which if not clean would have released a smell of amonia. It was dry and clean under the straw too. I do beleive maggi has listened to the advice of the RSPCA inspectors and is making every effort to improve the facilities and take heed of what they suggest. It is still far from perfect, but i too have seen much worse as well as better.

Thank you Pingu and Helly not just for going to see for yourselves but for saying what I kept saying, instead of slagging Maghie off, offer help.

The big rescues have the funds to have luxury kennels but to the animal concerned it just needs food, a clean bed and feeling safe.

Thank you.