UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mill Rescue

Pingu

I believed Catherine and Lisa's account of how it was and was uncomfortable thinking that they were being thought of as not telling the truth.

I have no reason to doubt that they told it as they believed they saw it, but it must be borne in mind that, for whatever reason, they were not allowed free access to the premises.

(I draw no inferences from this. There may have been something to hide - equally, it would have been reasonable to restrict access on Open Day. Then again, hostility isn't conducive to cooperation.)

A photo was posted on DP claiming to show 3 dogs in a tiny dark kennel and yet Pingu says,

"The one previous picture I have seen of the kennels there showed what appeared to be a v small kennel with 3 dogs in it. This in fact is actually an area where the goats normally live, hence the straw, and is once you go past the small doorway is a large room aprox 25 ft by 25ft that is bright and airy."

I do wonder how accurate a partial inspection (by anyone) can be. But then, I wasn't there, will probably never be there, and have absolutely no personal knowledge of MR, just like most people who have waded in with criticism.

Pam

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the dogs you saw there match up with the dogs MR is advertising for rehoming? I can't see a rottie on the website?

I do appreciate your concern that some dogs may have been moved off site, but is the above actually relevant? Many rescues have web sites that are very rarely updated.

Pam

he was there (on web site) when I looked before deciding to go, it was one of the reasons for going as I know I would be able to look at him and get a reasonable understanding of his condition, food etc.

cant see him there now though

Below is a statement I made a few months ago on another board. This is a factual statement based on truth, if anyone should know what goes on here I would say that should be me. I am not putting the statement on here to draw folks from other boards into a war, I do however feel that people do have a right to the truth. If after reading this anyone does have a specific question they would like to ask please feel free. Also as it has also been mentioned people are more than welcome to visit us. We do ask for a day & an idea of time as I like to be here myself when people visit, this is not always possible due to vet runs ect.

We were concerned about Mia's weight. When Mia & her sister arrived they were underweight & had heavy matted coats. Both dogs had been clipped/groomed in their first homes(I was unable to fully clip them as my clipper broke)Mia's was homed to a GP, she was returned to us after they discovered that her mother was highly allergic to dogs & went into anaphylactic shock. Mya was returned due to SA. Both my vet & myself had been concerned that it may be partly due to kennel stress which is why we were due to place her into a foster home for further assessment. The vet also prescribed & gave me a tub of enzyme powder. (I do have the vet bill, showing the date of visit & the enzyme powder) Due to unforeseen personal commitments the foster home was unable to foster Mia. We had discussed Mia's needs & our concerns with her weight, through both dps pm's & messages though the MR website. I have copies of some of the messages but the rest are on dps & they have taken my pm facilities away.

In the meantime we had a potential home come forward for Mia, they sounded perfect for her. The home check was carried out by an experienced h/cer who has previously h/c for us before. The h/c passed & we arranged for them to visit. I had expressed my concerns to the potential home re Mia's weight, however as it was felt by my vet that Mia's weight was primarily due to kennel stress & also possibly the fact that her sister had been rehomed we decided that it would be more beneficial for Mia to go to this new home. I briefed the new owners on Mias vet treatment & meds , also of my concerns & it was agreed that Mia could leave with them that day under the condition they registered her with a vet within 2 days so that her treatment & progress could be monitored. I supplied them with the prescribed meds & dosing instructions. They were also supplied with my vets details to give to the new vet.

On the Wednesday during a visit to my vet he told me he had been contacted by a man raising concerns about Mia(my vet does not believe that the person on the phone was a qualified vet)This person also told my vet not to tell me that he had called. I then tried to call the owner but there was no reply, I left a msg. My call was not returned. I rang again, the woman answered & passed the phone to her husband. He was not forthcoming with any information including the name & contact number for their vet. He had said she was not too well & had seen a vet but he could not tell me any more. The next day he called me to say he had a large vet bill(which I offered to contribute towards) also that Mia was allergic to cooked meat, she was anaemic & their vet was concerned about the powder that had been prescribed. Yet again they would not pass on the details of their vet & he also told me that their vet had told them not to contact me. I spoke to my vet & passed on the information give to me. He was concerned & advised that Mia was brought back so that he could continue with her treatment. I have attempted to contact them but they have not replied.

I am concerned about the revelation of Mia carrying a contagious bug but as I have no contact details for their vet I have been unable to confirm this. I have no evidence of this in any of the other dogs on our premises. We have had no report or contact from their vet. I dont even know their vets name.

Pip the collie has also been mentioned. Yes this boy sadly did die, he died in Flicks arms on the way to his 9am vet appointment. Pip was treated for pneumonia shortly after arriving with us(again I have vets bill) he seemed to recover well. He was rehomed & returned within 2 days the new owners said their vet thought he had a form of downs syndrome, they also said he was struggling to sleep & could not lay down, although this was not something we saw. Again we took him back to the vet, he was this time given antirobe tablets which the vet said is an anti b which targets the brain. Again he perked up & was happily running around the field at his own pace. At this stage Pip was not on our website for rehoming. We then had a call from a lady who loved collies but wanted something more petite. I told her about Pip, she met him and fell in love with him, as did everyone who met him. A short time after leaving us Pip became unwell again, he was seen by an emergency vet, then his care transferred back to the owners own vet but they could not offer 24 hour care so the decision was made for him to return to us to carry on his treatment. Once he was better he was to return to his lovely new home. Sadly he never made it. Pips Mum has since adopted another MR dog. She was very upset with all of this being put onto a forum(again I have emails to prove) Pip had lungworm, this was discovered on an ecg.

I was very sad to hear of Daisy May, I was there when she was born & had helped her mum to raise them. She had a check up before leaving us, her new family were in the pen when the vet was examining them all. This was the same day when he saw Mia.

I do not have PP as yet, the plans are drawn up & waiting to be submitted. Prior to the purchase of the farm. I had meetings both on site & in the offices of Boston Council relating to the centre being built at the farm. The farm was purchased on the strength of these meetings re planning consent. The architect we selected was the one suggested by the council. The plans were drawn up with input & advice from Boston Council. Involved in these meetings were both planning, environment & highways.

After a person from dps contacted Boson Council, we had a meeting on site with one of their officers. He notified me on Monday of this week that a notice was being complied that would give us 6 months to cease using the building for housing of dogs. He did however also advise me that when we submit the plans for the main rescue centre we could ask for a temp usage on this building until the new build was completed.

There has also been mention of dogs left in vans on our open day. The first I knew of dogs in vans was when I read it on a private forum on dps. I do not know why I was not notified of this on the day & neither was the operator of the pa system. It would be useful to have a description of the vehicle, including any signwriting to attempt to identify the owner.

I have never claimed to have charity status. Which the charity commission can confirm. We have been contacted by them & they have confirmed in writing that we have not in any way implied this on our website.

The RSPCA, who I sought advice from in relation to the housing of animals & their care. They have also visited, the last visit on site was on Thursday of this week. They have looked at every animal here & also went through our home. They are happy at the standard of care provided & that all of our dogs are well fed, walked, clean, happy & medically fit. We went through the vac cards & daily care sheets on which we record the date the dogs came into our care & from where they came. Dates of first & 2nd vacs, medication, date neutered, stool & urine description, stitches, food eaten/not eaten, if they are drinking ect.

I am always open to advice & input. Due to the fact that we are a relatively new rescue I have sought advice from my vet, RSPCA, council, wardens ect. I welcome input form those with more experience.

We have also been accused of obtaining money by deception, through our buy a brick campaign. I have all monies sent in for this in a paypal account, which of course I would return should we not get our full PP.

There has also been talk of us not being a reg’d charity. As someone has kindly pointed out elsewhere, I was made bankrupt last year through no fault of my own. We tried everything to stop it but it was not possible. As anyone with half a brain knows you can not be involved with a reg’d charity when you are bankrupt.

The last month has been a huge learning curve here. I may have been guilty at one stage of trying to help too many, even then though no dog in our care went without anything that it needed. As for van loads of 30/40 dogs every month, our van could not hold anywhere near that many.

We have made changes here, we will now only hold a maximum of 15 dogs in kennels here. We are lucky that we also have back up from some great foster homes which allows us to help more. We have also changed our vet, this was however planned back in April & was implemented early May. Our new vet is very supportive of us & has given us some great advice i.e. all dogs will now be given a 7 day course of panacur on arrival(once weighed & checked by vet) so that cases like Pip will never be repeated. They will also all have a full vet check before leaving us, with a letter written by vet to accompany them if requested.

ok

I am going to lock this again for a while while people (including myself) read what maggie has written and think about stuff

when its reopened ANY personal attacks, flaming etc (on anybody) will be deleted.

comment but keep it civil