UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September Tell Us About It

Jazz

Suzeanna, you probably helped her a lot just by chatting.

House mouse is now back with reinforcements. They have eaten bait in the Big Cheese traps by doing same move as field mice. Mouse on top, other mouse takes bait. None will go neat the fancy new traps. I need to get hold of a Triptrap as they haven't seen those before.

Very warm day here. I managed to see the grey phalarope yesterday, still on lake near visitor centre. Hiding under overhanging willows away from the big gulls who hassle it. Happily stuffing its beak with small water creatures. It is really good for the visitor centre cafe as birders have been coming from all over the place and wanting refreshments.

Here is a video, not of ours but another one.

there is a trap you can make with a bottle, must be on here somewhere

merlins had his stitches out. hes lost a bit of weight in 2 weeks, have to keep it up. vet said he doesn't need to lose much but id rather hes on the lighter side

a water main has burst, so loads of areas round here are without water, so got a few bottles when shopping, but should have plenty in the tank

Am I alone on hating those adverts on telly about suffering animals and children? They come on so often but there's nothing I can do about it, if Ruby and I sent money to every appeal we'd go broke. We both already send fairly regular donations to a number of animal rescues and I have left the bulk of my estate to a local rescue in my will. I lend money to 3rd world people to help them in their businesses or on their farms & Ruby sponsors a lovely little girl in Ghana. I know all the reasons why they produce and show them but it really puts people (well some people) through the wringer. We now reach for the remote every time they come on to change channel.

Griff seeing the bin men around here running (literally) around in all weathers and with the smell coming out of the back of the wagon it's not a job I would want to do. It's good there are people like Steve that actually want to do it! Does he want to drive the bin lorry or empty the bins?

Jazz if they don't fix the water main fairly quickly I think they are obliged to bring water to you.

Very warm day here. I managed to see the grey phalarope yesterday, still on lake near visitor centre. Hiding under overhanging willows away from the big gulls who hassle it. Happily stuffing its beak with small water creatures. It is really good for the visitor centre cafe as birders have been coming from all over the place and wanting refreshments.

Here is a video, not of ours but another one.

OH and his camera went to see a grey phalarope a couple of years ago which had arrived in a childrens paddling pool (the big municipal type) in a park on the coast near Brighton. The little bird was not at all concerned by people with binoculars and cameras and came and sat next to OH when it was worried by some crows arriving.

The only phalarope I've seen was a Wilson's phalarope in Cornwall, not many miles from where your video was taken.

A lovely sunny day here today. I have a deskful of paperwork but am hoping for half an hour in the garden at lunchtime.

• Like 1

Owl I get that message from time to time but then I find I can use the like button OK afterwards. I think it might just be a hiccup in the system.

I'd never even heard of Grey Pharalopes but reckon I could identify one now! Hope you get that half hour in the garden Karen.

It's quite nice here, warm enough to have the doors propped open.

Ruby is back in Newcastle next week to see the surgeon. If he signs off on it she is planning going back to work the week after that. She's not going to over do it though and will start off doing 2 or 3 days from 10 to 3 and possibly with some working from home, depending on how she is getting on,

Chilly and showery here today. It was one of Richard's better days ankle wise so we drove the dogs out to Glen Masson which is one of Honey's favourite walks, especially when all of us go together. It was a bit cold with a heavy drizzle but they all had a good run around and thoroughly enjoyed it. Richard did too as it's not too hilly and he was just glad to be able to come on a walk.

Where's the foster going Jazz?

Hope Steve's return to work is still going well. Shame he hates it so much. Has he applied to go on the bins?

Care home's just phoned to say dad's been taken to hospital as he wasn't feeling well and his heart rate was all over the place. Just as a precaution but it's still a worry being so far away. Never know what to do for the best.

He wouldn't mind doing either Yantan

Sadly Eve, our council are only offering temporary contracts so no Matter how much he hates the job he can't go from a permanent job to a temporary one.

He has taken his bus over and done his first trip...he isn't happy but is off Sunday and Monday

EVE, so sorry, just read all your message, I really hope your dad is o.k

Owl, the bottle trap is a glass milk bottle with a piece of chocolate in it, you rest the bottle neck on a matchbox, piece of wood etc so the bottle is angled, the mouse goes in and as the bottle is smooth the mouse can't climb out

Jazz, pleased your foster has a new home

Yeah weather changing here now. It's gone very overcast.

Eve I hope you dad will be OK, at least he's in the best place. It is a worry being so far away.

I couldn't get Archie away from the garden gate earlier. He was watching a Sainsbury delivery driver drop off a neighbours shopping. I guess he was just making sure they got everything. He's such a nosey little bugger.

Hope your dad will improve soon, Eve.

The phalarope has flown away on its travels. Good luck, little bird. At least it has had a good feed on our lake.

Karen, that is very sweet about the one who sat next to your OH for safety. Ours was much less worried by the birdwatchers than by the aggressive gulls.