UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September Tell Us About It

Jazz

It is very busy at the reserve. A Grey Phalarope has taken up residence on the main lake by the visitor centre. It is normally a coastal bird and has never been seen on the reserve before. Probably blown off course by the gales. Lots of birders came to take pictures. It was not bothered at all and was quite a little poser.

Archie has just gone out with Ruby for a short walk. He's eaten breakfast and the acid has subsided, so we feel safe leaving him for a couple of hours whilst we go to a garden centre with a large indoor shopping area and cafe near Carlisle. We'll have a mooch round, have lunch and then head back.

Owl how do you administer that Forager stuff? It's very hard to get Archie to take meds etc. as you can't doctored his food because he just won't eat it if it's got an odour that overpowers the food. I got him some green lipped muscle capsules and the only way I can get him to have them is to pull them apart and sprinkle the powder into tinned mackeral fillets. However after 3 or 4 days he goes off the mackeral and I have to give him a rest from them for a couple of days.

Yes Eve I agree. It is hard watching them when they are not feeling well.

I must confess I've never heard of a Grey Phalarope, sounds like a nasty medical condition!

Glad Archie is perking up, it must be difficult to manage when he keeps going off the food you hide his pills in.

Rang the blood test department at the hospital today to get booked for a test, and I get the feeling I go too often..she knew my name as she recognised my voice! I like to go a couple of days before my appointment at haematology, you can get a blood test on the actual day of your appointment but it means taking a number and waiting for the phlebotomist to call you, then however long it takes before the result comes up on the computer of the consultant, and there's enough hanging about without adding that on.

Very cold start to the day here, there was slight frost on the grass, but a lovely sunny day now.

We are back. We had a lovely lunch in one of the two cafe's and it was delish. We both had a Cumbrian platter which consisted of items all made in Cumbria - a lovely big slab of ham, 2 mini pork pies, a slice of black pudding, a big wedge of Danish blue cheese, 2 mini sub rolls, a small dish of pickled onions, gherkins, cauli and carrots and a helping of delicious chutney. We each brought a pork pie home because there was too much. I wish we'd had room for a scone or a cake as they looked fantastic. We bought some of the Danish blue from the food hall. It's made by a local cheese maker.

If you find yourself travelling on the M6 south of Carlisle you can reach the garden centre, Houghton Hall, easily from both sides. It's just a few minutes from the motorway and the larger cafe is well worth pulling off for. There is also a smaller cafe within the food hall which has a more limited menu.

It was frosty here this morning but its warmed up as the day has gone on.

Hahaa Suzeanna at them recognising your voice at the blood testing place. The phone went the other day and it was one of our medical centre nurses wanting Ruby but when I answered she recognised my voice and said "oh hello Marion, how are you?"

the vets know me lol

im waiting on my drugs coming, then I hope to be taking merlin and jerry out. ive found harnesses that fit them, they arnt happy in them, but will when I put the leads on lol I had a bag of leads, top and harnesses that didn't fit, they have gone to a rescue. the other rescue is picking up loads of stuff later. I don't look as much of a hoarder than I did lol

Laughing at Danish blue being Cumbrian - sorry Yantan lol. But pleased you had a lovely lunch out nevertheless. Sounds like Ruby is recuperating well. And yay for Champ :cheer:

Hope you had a nice trip out with Merlin and Jerry Jazz and well done with the clearout.

We've had a bit of frost early morning, then mostly sunny with a few showers here. Autumn has definitely arrived

Eve, none of it was traditional Cumbrian food but the producers are all in Cumbria :flowers:

Oooh here's a good question - what foods, if any, are traditional to the areas you all live in?

Archie is full of sass this morning. He's had quite a long walk, for him, and was prancing about. He polished his breakfast off and asked for more. He's having some down time right now & is asleep on his sofa.

Awwwww good boy Archie

Errrrmmm God cakes are our local speciality...never had one, I think they are kind of like mince pies

Oh yeah, Steve has to go back to work and had to go for training today...he passed, the instructor has told him he is an excellent driver

That's good Griff. I was reading about some driver who crashed his bus and killed people, he's 77 and suffering from dementia! What the heck the bus company were doing let him drive at all beats me.

Just came back from walking Candy and saw an old lady sweeping her path, unusual as it's always her husband I've seen. She came to the gate to chat, turns out he died in May, her daughter and son in law came over from Oz for the funeral and whilst here he was taken ill, turned out he had a brain tumour and he died, and then her brother died a couple of weeks ago and it's his funeral on Friday! Poor poor woman, she was starting to tear up and I just didn't know what to say.