UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March Big Freeze

Jazz

Hope Philip's first day went well Suzeanna

Maybe the rescue are feeling guilty if they didn't tell you the full story Jazz. Being litter brothers doesn't mean they have to stay together. How old are they?

Loving the invasion of mini daxis in your village Nige. Didn't realise that they needed a haircut though. Poor Cliffy - mean Daddy lol

Suzeanna, i do have zovirax but i don't find it helps all that much and they do give me the tablets but the problem being really that i need to have them for when the cold sores start...not after a couple of days, i wouldn't have been able to see a Dr over the weekend

I do hope Philip was o.k at work...always nerve wracking no matter how old you are

Been to training, kota was really good....won a bag of treats which i gave to her mate Bailey as i don't give them treats (coz i am mean Lol)

Well done Dakota :cheer:

I'm glad Philips first day went well. It's always a relief to get that one in.

Ruby's boss asked her how she was yesterday as she was off on Friday. She told him she felt carp but didn't want to get behind with her work and he told her to work from home today so she's here getting in my way.

Lock her in her room, Yantan..tell her it's for the good of your health (and hers, so you don't crown her!)

I wish the blasted bus company wouldn't keep messing with the timetable. Our bus to town used to go every ten minutes, then they moved it to fifteen, now it's twenty. I'll have to get the 4 minutes to 1, takes about 20/25 minutes into Chesterfield, then trudge up to a different stop to wait for one to the hospital to be sure I'll get to the appointment for my mammogram at 2.10. Then I've got to hike right across the hospital to make it to the clinic at 2.45 to get the results of my scans! If the mammo lot are on time it'll be a first, and I'm not busting a gut to get over to the other side if they late.

Cliffy didnt get a haircut I merely took a pair of scissors to his hair and hacked his fringe off, he will need a clip soon though but will wait until the weather gets better

Cliffy was the original dog I had the westies (Archie and Tessie) came later, the pooch and poppy but pooch was a foster I had for 6 months or so.

Its been some time since my boy had a big sister too look after him but I don't think I will get another dog for a while once that dreaded day comes where I will lose Cliffy, but will still do home checks transport and forster/overnight stops for westies on occasion.

Cliffy nearest the camera Tessie in the middle and Archie watching what was going on...

Picture035.jpg

• Like 3

I knew westies came into it lol

morrisons delivery came. I had to ring them, and they are always lovely, but the pot of frozen summer fruits were broken and in the carrier bag. don't know if I should eat them. I was looking forward to them. the bags are so filled, they put 4 2litre bottles in a bag with a big box of cereal that was squashed. she said they take pictures of each bag and can see the popped box, so will be finding out why it wasn't noticed at the packing point. its good that they have refunded the money, but I havent got the goods

ive just spoken to the rescue. when the people went away with the 2 dogs, they did their nut with the rescue, and threatened to drop them off at the dogs trust! they have realised they are nutters, not me lol

Edited by Jazz

My CT scan was fine, but the bone scan showed a vertebrae in my upper spine that they have concerns about, so now they want me to have an MRI scan. Oh well, one out of two was alright, I suppose. I did point out that I have arthritis in lots of places in my spine and said could it be that, and he said it might be, the MRI will show exactly what it is..so now I have to wait for an appointment for that, it's never ending! I did ask if it is ok could they email or text me to say so, as I didn't see the point of having to go back to clinic just to be told there wasn't a problem. He looked a bit surprised and said they don't normally do that, but if I was sure that was what I wanted, they will. Isn't it nice to be healthy?

• Like 2

Keeping my fingers crossed it's not bone mets, I've been reading up about the treatments and I don't like the sound of any of them!

At last every little tiny bit of snow has vanished, and then what did they say on the weather this morning? There could be snow again on Thursday! Not mentioning our area, but for some odd reason we seem to get it even when we aren't meant to. I got a text from my dear daughter telling me they had docked in Bali and it was boiling hot. Thanks for that Mandy!

We have arrived home at last.

We spent most of Friday in the airport at St Marys waiting for a flight that never was.

As a result we missed our Flybe flight from Newquay to Manchester but couldn't get through to them to change the booking as the line was on hold for 1 hour 5 mins then cut off. Online system went round on a circle then stopped working altogether. The personnel at St Marys also tried to get through but had no more success than we had. Meantime the flight to Manchester took off on time.

We had a connection on Friday at 5 PM from Manchester to Edinburgh which we would also miss.

Once back at the the hotel- who had kept everybody's room for them- the Manchester/Edinburgh flight was cancelled.

We returned to the airport on Saturday morning and flew to Newquay. We expected a fight with Flybe about not being able to rebook before the flight took off but a very nice man at Newquay just rebooked us through to Edinburgh.

Unfortunately, the Saturday flight to MANCHESTER at 5.5-pm arrived after the only Saturday flight to Edinburgh had gone so we had to stay in Manchester overnight and get the 5 pm flight to Edinburgh on Sunday.

We arrived ay my son's house in Edinburgh at 6.30pm

Three days hanging around airport lounges is no fun!

The residents on St Marys were smiling and excited at getting snow for the first time in 20 years.

When we arrived a snowy Edinburgh a woman behind me commented 'OH, my god ' when she saw the mountains pf snow piled up around the runways. She said she thought that they were telling lies about the snow for the last three days. She had been in Spain for two weeks!

My son had to dig out a space on his drive for us to park as there was only a single track of road cleared round his housing state- cleared by the residents- and the parking places were deep snow. the main roads were clear though.

The parents went down at the weekend and cleared the school playground to allow the school to reopen on Monday.

The snow was at waist level in places.

We set off back hime yesterday morning at 8am in a heavy snow storm. It took 2 hours to get out of Edinburgh when it normally takes about 25 minutes.

We had a narrow escape at one point. In fact three cars had a narrow escape.

We were crawling along behind a bus and had left a space between us and it. As we cam to a side road with a slope down to the main road a car came down it and the driver decided to nip into that space so put his foot down- BIG mistake. The car shot across in front of us onto the other carriageway. Fortunately, there was a car space exactly opposite where a driver had left a gap from the car in front. The runaway car sped into that space with the driver looking panic stricken , trying to control the car. He stopped with the front of the car against the kerb at right angles to the line fo traffic.

After we left Edinburgh we had no problems. The roads were mostly okay. We had rain, sleet and snow in any order. We finally arrived home, after picking up the dogs, about 5 pm.

We arrived at the kennels to get the dogs to find he had no water as a main had burst, no power and no heating. The kennels normally have underfloor heating 24 hours a day.

The power guys were working to try and restore power despite the snow and bitter cold wind but the water guys didn't know where the main was. Graham said it was fun watching them running around like headless chickens trying to find it.

We couldn't pay him as no power meant no cash machine.

He emailed this morning to say the power was back on and the water main had been found this morning after 4 days of looking.

We did enjoy our holiday despite a very cold wind every day. Scilly is very much more built up than 50 years ago with many more houses but many were empty as they are holiday houses. The weather was much warmer then too!

50 years ago there were many tourists and the boats to the other islands ran every day. This year only one boat operated twice a week to bring people over from St Agnes for shopping - weather permitting- so took tourists back then brought them back when he collected the St Agnes people in the afternoon.

While we were away our road was closed for two days due to snow and the snow gates on the main A9 road up were closed for one day.

We now have dregs of snow in sheltered places but the road is clear.

We were supposed to have a family meal on the Sunday in Edinburgh. My son and his girlfriend flew over from Romania on the Thursday and got stranded at Stansted with flights to Edinburgh cancelled and were told no flights before Sunday and no trains before Sunday. They decided to fly back to Romania as the air fare was cheaper than £150 per night in the hotel.

Although Romania has been having the same temperatures as us my son reports they are expecting 15 degrees on Sunday- more normal for them at this time of year.

I hope we get some decent summer weather this year after all this cold and snow.

Hope you get the better news, Suzeanna. We get phone consultations to save us having travel 100 miles to Inverness if face to face is not necessary.

Oh my word, what a nightmare journey you had! So relieved to finally be home, I bet. A lot of people are remarking about the fact that the snow was worse and lasted longer in 1963 but the road and railways didn't all give up like this time. I see Scotland is set for more heavy snow today, hope you'll escape it! It's a shame when places are taken over by the holiday home owners, it must give it a ghost like atmosphere out of the mail holiday season.

My goodness blackmagic what a time you've had!

We've always said we'd like to go back to the Scillies at some point but I wonder if our memories would be spoilt now. We have a friend who lives in Penzance but is a born and bred Scillionian. When she and her husband got married they couldn't get a house on Scilly and had to move to the mainland. She's never been able to make it back so has to put up with just the occasional trip over. It's sad when locals are forced out.

I'll bet the dogs were glad to get home for a warm-up.

My brother's dog, Taz, had a seizure this morning whilst out with the dog walkers. They'll be sick of my family what with Archie collapsing on them last week. They did the right thing though with Taz, splitting him from the pack and one of them continued walking the dogs whilst the other got Taz to the vets. However she had trouble getting hold of any of my brother's family so rang me. I was able to contact them and my nephew took an early lunch break to go to the vets to hear what the vet had to say. Boss lady DW is going to take Taz home with her so he can be watched until my bro gets home at 2.45. Although Taz and Archie get on fabulously out on walks Archie won't tolerate him coming here, otherwise I would have looked after him. That poor dog. He has had so much ill health this last 12 months or so. I am sure my brother and his family are wondering "what next?"