UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March Big Freeze

Jazz

St Davids Day, and not even mentioned on BBC Wales website. I suppose the usual festivities are cancelled because no one can travel.

Stay safe, everyone. We are going nowhere. Many roads are closed. Reserve is snowbound. Lincs is very bad and the army are out helping.

Morning all, still only a little snow here but bitterly cold, i think we are supposed to get a load tonight..mind, i don't watch the weather so rely on others telling me Lol

Steves Birthday today, Molly opened one of his prezzies last night (she is soooo funny) it was just his slippers so that was o.k, he messaged me at 7 am he had just got in from walking the dog, was on the phone at 7.15 telling me off for spoiling him...got him tonnes of star wars stuff for his geek cave, storm trooper rug, light box, aftershave...but that is just for the bottle and a new mouse that he can program himself for playing his world of warcraft and i also got him a new mug as he has been drinking out of his exes pink spotty one for as long a si have known him so got him a massive darth vader latte mug which he loves and has started using immediately Lol

• Like 2

Archie's back legs have given out on him! He's out with the dog walker and she had to walk up a steep hill outside town to pick another dog up. Only 4x4's could drive it, there's no way I would get my little Panda up there. He won't let Holly pick him up. She's 50yds from a farm and is hoping to get him as far as there and ask them if they can either transport them all down the hill or leave Archie there in the warm until we can find someone to go for him with a 4x4. Please think good thoughts for his safe return.

He's home safe and sound! Thank you for the good thoughts. Holly got him up and walking after a rest and he managed to walk home. It actually wasn't that far from here, just it was at the top of a hill covered in snow rendering the road unusable to most vehicles. Since he got back he's absolutely fine and is back in the wanting out/wanting in/out/in routine. I'm not giving in this time as its way to cold out there for him. Holly and I both think it was just the cold affecting him but just to be safe I've cancelled tomorrow's walk. We will take it easy for the next few days. He's sleeping on his sofa now and had no trouble jumping up. Phew!

Now we just need Ruby home. She's been down at head office in Aylesbury since Tuesday with some colleagues. They jumped on a train going north this morning. Got to Crewe, had to get off there, but managed to get another train that is heading to Carlisle but stops at Penrith where she left her car. There is a question mark hanging over Preston but they hope they won't be decanted there and make it to Penrith.

Is everyone else doing OK in this weather?

Thank heavens Archie is home and seems ok. Seems a good idea to give him a restful few days. Hope Ruby gets home ok.

We are fine but going nowhere. I need to go and run the engine for a few mins and will maybe walk to the corner shop as I have yaktrax to put on my boots. The wind has become severe here so I expect there are drifts on the more rural roads.

Lots of birds here in garden all stuffing their beaks, bless them.

• Like 1

Ruby made it back to Penrith OK.

I've had an email from Yodel to say they are delivering my Zooplus order. That's amazing given the weather. The driver is just 7 drops away.

No word from Hello Fresh on our weekly food box. I've got some mince out of the freezer just in case so I can make chilli.

I am steeling myself to go out and replenish the bird food supplies. They've all been here in force today feeding. They are currently taking shelter in our big bay tree and singing away despite the weather.

Someone said today was the first day of spring. Mmmm.

Oh Marion, i am soooooo pleased he is o.k, there is a chart doing the rounds on facebook with the weather temps, size of dogs etc and the temp that is suitable to take them out in...i am lucky as Dakota has to stay in with her stitches anyway.

Made it to town, got a couple of bits, went to iceland...shut! due to technical difficulties, all the staff were there, lights on etc, had to get to asda instead, got a couple of pizzas jut in case there is a lot of snow but it is pretty pathetic here at the moment, Steve is praying for Snow so he just has to get to work tomorrow night and they will send them home again after a bit as the buses don't run Lol...he says so long as he gets in, he gets paid and as long as he can get home to Molly he is happy

lewis brought food supplies for me on his way to work. I asked him to text me when he gets there and home tonight. he got to work easily, on the motorway

I'm glad hes home xx

I gave luna a treat for the kong, she was good. just hope that continues

zooplus came on time yesterday, great place

Edited by Jazz

Griff I have seen an awful photo on Twitter of a dog with badly damaged paws due to the chemicals they put in the road grit. D.O.T.S (Dogs On The Streets) who help homeless owners with their dogs have had to get one of the street dogs into the vets for treatment to frozen paws further damaged by road grit. They've also paid to get a couple of dogs into Travelodges with their owners so they are out of the freezing weather plus sourcing emergency cold weather shelter where dogs are allowed for others. Yay for D.O.T.S and other organisations like them

Well Yodel managed to get our Zooplus order delivered OK but no sign of Hello Fresh. They've suspended their live chat so I have sent an message via their online help section asking what's happening. Just a confirmation that the box is or isn't going to arrive today is all I want to know. I suspect they've all gone home as all I got was an automated reply telling me exactly nothing.

I've been out restocking the birds and met my neighbour out there in her garden doing the same. I am running out of suet pellets and mealworms but I took delivery of 25kg of bird seed on Monday so they won't starve.