UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Life, The Universe & Everything Else

Yantan

It's fascinating isn't it all this business of where we come from. Awhile ago there was a DNA study done in my area (and possibly wider but I don't recall) The all male subjects had to show by genealogical study that their family were deeply rooted here. They were testing for the Viking heritage and it gave an incredibly high return.

The Vikings were certainly not alone in savagery, Suzeanna. I have been watching Ray Mears series on the making of western America.

The shar pei we tracked on my birthday has been found after 3 weeks. Camping out in stables close to the elephant grass, as Wispa said. She insisted he was living right there under everyone's nose and beetling into the elephant grass to hunt. A dog's nose is mostly smarter than a human brain.

I have found a mobile number for Alex Merle so will send her a text.

• Like 1

I'm a bit sceptical of the DNA testing since I read about being done on identical American triplets. Despite being totally identical (one egg which split), according to the DNA test their national heritage was different.

It is true that some cases of DNA profiling are less trustworthy and gives false or inconclusive results which get the process a bad name. Ancestry DNA isn't held in particularly high regard. Neither are the "off the shelf" DNA tests (like the ones you can get in PAH for dogs.) I believe that the triplets were tested from off the shelf DNA kits. It really depends on the quality of the testing and the database the testing company hold. If the database doesn't contain a very large sample it is more likely to return less than stellar results. DNA is admissible in court and has helped convict, or free, many people with a 99.98 certainty. To test Archie's DNA we used a company whose work is verified to a high degree of accuracy and is used regularly in British courts.

I was just wondering if we shouldn't PM each other our email addresses just in case one of us disappears or the forum suddenly dies??? That way we can keep in touch. I miss people like Alex Merle and so many others but have no way of contacting them.

• Like 1

I've got Griff's..and Jazz on FB..I did have Owl's mobile but when I changed phones it vanished along with a lot of others. I know what you mean, it leaves you wondering when people disappear, did they just get bored or has something happened? We went back onto a chat/quiz room after a few months absence once, asked where the usual question master was, only to find they'd died. It was rather uncomfortable.

I often wonder about Abbey, who moved to the pub in Wales.

I suppose life takes over connection is lost after a while.

So many now use facebook and messenger rather than forums. But it is not the same. It seems more impersonal, somehow and seems to lead to lots of problems with name calling and stalking.

Maybe I am just too old.

• Like 1

Owl Abbey is one of the people I wonder about too. I had her dog, Dylan, in our SS one year. I think she and her husband had a baby didn't they? They also had the pub in, or near the village, where poor little April was abducted and never found.

I came to heartily dislike FB because I got sick of seeing what people had for their dinner, reading about them having a "cheeky" wine or whatever and some peoples bigotry, view on politics, their treatment of others, animals, children made me sick. People who I thought I knew turned out to be not what I thought. The single biggest turn off was how much time people invested in the damn site trying to convince others that they were having the greatest life, were in the best ever relationship, had the greatest kids or they were the best ever parent. Put your sodding phones down and go and get a real life FFS!

And breath.

I did send Alex and email to the address i had but i never got a reply

i went to the Dr yesterday about my shoulder, she says pulled muscle too but it is like nothing i have ever felt and i am even more confused now that i picked up my blood results and shows elevated white cells and a few other markers which indicate an infection...which apart from the shoulder issue i seem fine and show no signs of an infection