UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Life, The Universe & Everything Else

Yantan

We replaced an old boiler two years ago. The old one ( put in in 1998) was getting unreliable and it was a low percentage efficiency one so due to be replaced.

We swopped to a modern Worcester one, similar to what we had, and the new one teated out at 98% efficiency.

We did not need any new pipe work, only a new flue pipe outside the garage ( the boiler is in the garage) as the old one was too short for the modern regulations.

One of my previous dogs used tog et fed up with a food after a time so I used to rotate buying three different types of kibble- a different one of the three each time I bought a new bag.

That worked with her.

Murphy can reject the odd food . even the raw minces. He likes the oily fish and the chicken but refused to eat the mix of oily fish and chicken. He also would not eat the Nature's Menu minces that Pets at Home sell. He sniffed the dish and walked away.

I don't pander to m dogs over their food but since he normally eats anything you give him I respect his obvious disgust at these two.

Angela seems to be close to release from her horrible situation. Even with oxygen she is fading away, and thankfully the staff are not intervening further, just keeping her comfortable. Unconscious since yesterday, not expected to last the night but still alive this morning ... just.

• Like 1

I hope everyone will be OK in the bad weather due in tomorrow.

I've just caught up with the first 2 episodes of the latest series of Vikings. Sheesh but they were a bloody thirsty and violent lot.

We have just started watching Vikings on Netflix. They seemed to spend their time fighting. Power was everything to them. The far north of Scotland was Viking land and many local names in Caithness are based on Norse.

Have you watched Hell on Wheels? It is about the laying of the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific railways across America to meet in the middle. Another one with gory scenes but you do get involved with the characters -good and bad.

Angela seems to be close to release from her horrible situation. Even with oxygen she is fading away, and thankfully the staff are not intervening further, just keeping her comfortable. Unconscious since yesterday, not expected to last the night but still alive this morning ... just.

Sorry about Angela , Owl. Her body just ins't ready to go. My gran was crippled and in pain with arthritis for many years and always said she would go willingly but in the event she surprised doctors by lasting two weeks after the doctor said she would not last the night.

It's sad affair isn't it. She fought back only to go backwards again on more than one occasion. I wish a peaceful passing for her.

We have just started watching Vikings on Netflix. They seemed to spend their time fighting. Power was everything to them. The far north of Scotland was Viking land and many local names in Caithness are based on Norse.

Have you watched Hell on Wheels? It is about the laying of the Union Pacific and the Central Pacific railways across America to meet in the middle. Another one with gory scenes but you do get involved with the characters -good and bad.

We were also colonised by the Vikings and loads of our place names are based on the old Norse language as it a lot of our dialect. A friend was once in Norway and heard a local in a bar say he was going home in Norwegian and yet my friend understood it because the Norwegian phrase was close enough to the Cumbrian dialect to be understood. We say yam for home and they say hjem with their being little between the pronunciation.

Yes I have watched Hell On Wheels! I loved it. What a terrific tale so well told.

Oh by the way I was watching PM questions in Parliament earlier and a Scottish Tory MP brought up the question of the highlands and islands having to pay higher delivery prices, often extortionately so, or be refused delivery altogether. The PM agreed with him that it should be looked into. Whether it gets anywhere or not remains to be seen but I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Another grey miserable day here. I think the storm is set to blow in tonight. Fortunately Archie goes with the DW tomorrow and Friday so I don't need to turn out.

We loved Hell on Wheels. It was a rough life. You get attached to the characters. They are based on real people.

There is a 'sequel' to it called The Son which is about Cullen Bohanan's son many years on. Don't know anything about it. I just found a reference to it. I think it is a western type thing.

I refuse to buy from firms that charge a lot for delivery when others do not. A lot of the time they don't want the hassle of delivering up here as it means a change of carrier at Perth or Inverness and it becomes impossible to track the item. So if it goes missing it is lost.

Royal Mail don't charge any extra but it is easier for firms to use a carrier who will come and collect their parcels rather than them having to take them to a depot. They can also negotiate a reduced rate for bulk.

I have had goods delivered for places down in England where delivery was not any extra or something like £10.

I can appreciate it takes more fuel and time to deliver to rural areas when it may involve travelling miles for one delivery but some couriers can do it. We are lucky we are on a main road so do get deliveries promptly but other areas which are off the main routes have problems with the driver saving parcels up until he has several to deliver so can wait weeks for a delivery.

I can buy an item from Amazon with free delivery when the identical item for the same price from the manufacturer will incur a delivery charge. Guess where I buy it?

I bought an item from Etsy on Monday, it was posted on Tuesday and I got it this morning.

It is an 'I Believe' bell. I gave my grandson the DVD Polar Express when I was down three weeks ago. It is the story of children on a train to the North Pole to find Santa. In the story there is a reindeer bell and if you can hear it ring it means you really do believe in Santa.

So i have bought him one to go in his stocking.

The envelope jingled when moved so it must have amused the postal workers along the way.

HE is a very active boy and is easily distracted but my DIL said when he watched it i was the quietest he had been all day.

The Vikings were extreme and full of paradoxes. Their poetry is magnificent, their navigation was far ahead of everyone else, their cosmology based on a system of 9 interlocking dimensions held together by a central axis is mind-boggling. Why did they have to be so horrible, one wonders?

Last Tuesday afternoon my friend in Connecticut put a pair of lush LL Bean slippers in the post to me. They arrived on Friday morning. How's that for service!

Owl that's something I have wondered too.

I love the Polar Express and try and watch it every Christmas. I am sure your grandson will love his I Believe ball black magic. What a great idea. I hadn't heard of The Son before but I will look out for it.

Jazz take it easy with those arms. You'll have to take your socks off and learn to use your feet if you're not careful.

So sorry about Angela, I hope she goes quickly and peacefully as there seems now no hope of recovery.

If you look at what the white settlers and soldiers did to the American Indians, you realise the Vikings weren't alone in savagery! My family come from the east coast of Yorkshire and I think quite a few of the names in that area go back to the Vikings, in the only photo I have of my dad he could have passed for one, tall and blond with a sweeping moustache (not long hair though, he was in the RAF and I don't think they'd have allowed it!)

I know doctors are doing telephone consultations. but didn't know they do mental telepathy. just got a call, gp cant get into the clinic so will ring me. she needs to see and feel my arm i said. she will either rebook or have the right pills sent to the chemist. how does she know what pills i said. mmmmm