UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Novembers Notable News

suzeanna

Suzeanna - have you thought about getting a nest (or other smart thermostat) installed? I have one for my house and it's brilliant. It knows when I'm at home, so won't switch the heating on when I'm out at work (unless it gets really cold, then it turns on to stop any pipes freezing). I can also control it from my phone, keep an eye on my usage etc. Other than that, how about a log burner? Mum and dad have one, they hardly use their heating at all now - they have become total wood nerds and collect spare wood whenever they can, but the initial outlay will have been repaid after a year or so :)

Suzeanna - have you thought about getting a nest (or other smart thermostat) installed? I have one for my house and it's brilliant. It knows when I'm at home, so won't switch the heating on when I'm out at work (unless it gets really cold, then it turns on to stop any pipes freezing). I can also control it from my phone, keep an eye on my usage etc. Other than that, how about a log burner? Mum and dad have one, they hardly use their heating at all now - they have become total wood nerds and collect spare wood whenever they can, but the initial outlay will have been repaid after a year or so :)

I'm in 99% of the time (don't have an interesting life!) so a nest wouldn't really be much use, as for a wood burner, thanks but no thanks! I spent far too many years living in a very old cottage with no central heating, just a coal/logs fire, and all the building it up and cleaning it out was bad enough in my thirties, far too old for that faffing about now. My daughter has one and she forgot to get the chimney swept one year and the chimney caught fire, the brigade said it happens a lot with wood burners as they leave a residue inside the chimney which builds up and it's imperative to get it swept regularly. If I get too cold, I'll have to get under the duvet with a nice warm dog. Don't mean to sound ungrateful for the suggestions, thanks for the thought :flowers:

Suzeanna, have you tried thermal wear?

https://heatholders.co.uk/products/hats-and-gloves-women-hats-and-gloves/ladies-gloves

We have a wood burner and our central heating is only on for an hour in the morning to heat the house before we get up. Our house os very open plan and the heat circulates through the whole house.

Because of the high temperature reached It only needs cleaned out every two or three weeks and the ash forms a block which you lift out.

We do buy our wood in bulk ( a load lasts 5-6 years) as logs which Jim has to saw up and split.

We have had ours for 7 years but have never had the chimney swept.

Nothing like a roaring wood fire on a cold wintry night.

We fancied a wood burner at one point and then a pellet stove but the trouble we have is no real storage space for the wood or the pellets since we took up most of our backyard with the new extension.

Fortunately this is a warm little house and it doesn't take much to make it toasty with the gas central heating.

I like the look of those gloves! :flowers:

My nest just heats up the house to 17.5 degrees (even when I'm home) and then turns off again. I was worried that the cats might make it think I'm at home, but it ignores the cats. It also uses my mobile phone to decide if I'm at home. It's very clever. Going to set the heating to come on at home before I drive home from the airport when I get back so that it's nice and toasty when I get home (it's been 35/36 degrees here today!).

Thankyou all for your support, I spoke to my bro last night who pointed out that although I had plenty of friends and was o.k maybe Steve didn't so I text him..no reply, I called..no reply, 3minutez later he called me back, spoke to him this evening and apparently it is my fault we can't be friends because of how i feel...seemed very taken aback that I had never been with anyone I wasn't in a relationship with..no offence to anyone but sorry for having morals. After 40minutes on the phone I am non the wiser except I feel like the bad person for stressing him out more than he was...I have told him I will drop Molly's Xmas pressies into his cupboard...to which his answer was he would get me something for Xmas??? What??? I told him not to bother and wished him luck and to do what makes him happy in life. My aunty said I couldn't go on like I was and she is right, I am so disappointed in myself, I vowed after tony I would never let myself be hurt again...managed 13.5years and I trusted him with everything, my illness, my past (most of which I am ashamed of) and it all turned to crap..I swear, put mein a room with 100people 99of whom are awesome and i will pick the dud...I will nce back, just take me time so don't fret if I go missing

:GroupHug: Griff. If you still have my email and mobile number please free to use them. I've been where you are - a long, long time ago but I still remember it.

Well when I got out of bed at 5am to go and get in the other side because some fat dog, mentioning no Archie's, had almost pushed me out I noticed the light was different on the landing. We have a velux at the top of the stairs which lets some sort of light in through the night, whether it's from the lamp post in the back lane or the moonlight, if there is any. My first thought was "oooh that looks like snow light" so off I went to have a look. And it was! However 10 minutes later I heard the rain pelting down on the velux :mad: We are currently getting hail.

Archie's been for his annual vax's and it cost £13 more than last year because they are using different vaccines incl. one for leptospirosis. He has to go back in 4 weeks time to get a second follow up jab. Are anyone else's vets following this course?

Apparently it's been snowing quite heavily back home. It's been sunny here :) My biggest issue is that due to the placement of the palm trees, I keep having to move my sunlounger so I'm in the sun :laugh: :rolleyes:

Griff, look after yourself - don't bottle things up, come and see us and vent - we are all here for you :GroupHug: :flowers:

Our dogs haven't had their vaccines for a couple of years now - pretty much ever since I took less responsibility for them. My brother has taken Amber to his house - he doesn't even know which vet she is registered with. Mum and dad don't vaccinate Ted now - he only pootles around one field now, he's had a vaccine every year since he was a puppy and some studies have shown that after a certain number of vaccines, they are covered for life anyway. I get the cats vaccinated though - I only do that because they go into the cattery a few times a year - being house cats, they don't really get exposed to anything.

I stopped getting George vaxed after he had a seizure shortly after having had one. We stopped with Archie also but when we found a DW who did home boarding we had to have him vaxed again as it's a condition of the home boarding licence that all dogs be vaccinated. There were also implications for Archie's insurance. Talking to our old vet about not vaxing George he was off the opinion that following a certain number of re-vaxes that dogs should be OK anyway and cited the studies you mention Jayne.

congrats Jayne...really well done!!

Thanks Jazz and Yantan...i am o.k...i have seen him in the distance twice today and once up close...had taken the girlies out together so was just dropping their business in the dog bin, he waited at the stop, i didn't know if it was him or not but he was waving so knew it was him..i just smiled but i could have murdered the dogs....they got on the bl**dy bus Lol

Good luck with the lung functions Jazz...i always want to throw up doing mine Lol

Suzeanna, get yourself a good set of thermals girl!

i have picked up my blood results...said to my friend the other day that i thought things were going a bit wrong again and Yup, never mind, the Dr will fix me, between them they will come up with a plan.