UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Novembers Notable News

suzeanna

well Yantan...for me...it would be a shed load of books Lol, if i really get into a book i can finish it in a day...2 max, that is one thing my mum always encouraged me with..my reading, even as a child...most parents couldn't be bothered to listen to their kids sit and read at my school but my mum always did and if dad was about...which wasn't often he had to take a turn too...even though it drove him mental Lol. My nan was a big reader as was her sister Tess....they were catherine cookson fans and i would often pinch a book for a sly read Lol. My mum likes to read too, mainly when she is on holidays though, she likes linda la plante, sidney sheldon etc...me i will give anything a go...i did start on machiavelli the prince but that was way to complex for my little brain, i would read a page, start the next and have to go back to the first Lol

• Like 1

you could maybe get a magnifier Jazz? have you looked at the side effects of your medication?? sometimes those can cause a brain fog.

Steve can't read a book, he reads one page, forgets what he has read and has to do it all over again...he says that when he reads, sometimes it is like he can't read all over again...he says it is like he forgets how to...i am sure there must be a reason/name for it and a way to help but no clue what. Only problem with liking reading is the accumulation of books Lol...i have kindle apps but i much prefer the feel of a "real" book, the kindle is great for at the hospital and drs

Have you got any reading glasses Jazz? Most people 45+ need to wear glasses for close work - it's the muscles and ligaments in the eyes losing their flexibility over time. Most people who come in to see me are amazed at the difference a pair of reading glasses make. They struggle along and don't know what's going on, then they come to see me, I give them glasses and it's like a miracle has happened :laugh:

yes ive got varifocals. was tested this year but they have got worse. I had my diabetic eye test last week, and told them, but will it be best to have another eye test?

my elbow has swollen up now, can hardly bend it, gone from fingers to shoulder. another trip to the doctors tomorrow I suppose

Jazz in my opinion...far from being an expert like Jayne but...if your eyesight has changed and you are concerned, please don't put off getting a test...even if you have to pay, the small cost could save any permanent damage....not sure if they still do it but i got my eyes tested at Tesco for free...my only concern was when they asked if i was on benefits...i was very firm in the fact i had to pay for my glasses, prescriptions, dental costs...i must admit it does set my alarm bells ringing when people ask that as it concerns me they may try and give me something i don't need

Is your diabetes well controlled? If your sugars are all over the place, that causes changes in your glasses prescription. You might be better having a new test and maybe getting single vision reading glasses so you have a bigger reading area. Some varifocals don't have much space in the reading zone, so can be harder to use. A lot of people will have varifocals for general use and a pair of reading glasses for concentrated work. As you are diabetic, you will be entitled to an NHS eye test, because you have been tested this year, you aren't technically due, but you can have an early test if you feel your vision has changed. If your prescription is the same, you won't be entitled to any optical vouchers that you may get towards the cost of your glasses (if you are on ESA/income support/JSA/tax credits etc). You can still choose to buy a pair of reading glasses if you want some. The NHS won't fund varifocals and reading glasses either, they will fund either varifocals or distance + near glasses.

They ask that Griff as if you are, you get a voucher from the NHS to help towards the cost of your glasses and a free NHS eye test. It's nothing to do with selling you something you don't need. Some places I've worked, you get patients who are on JSA every time they are tested and always get the free glasses. Some optical assistants (wrongly) assume that NHS patients always want the free glasses and will never pay towards the cost of their glasses. Most patients are willing to spend something if it means they get a slightly more stylish pair of glasses.

Ahhhhh i see Jayne, just working in the garage trade the favourite thing was...do you have warranty, basically that meant they would try to get you to look for extra work knowing it was covered...i never used to bother, would just make a note of an advisory for a future date.

Jazz, have you tried audio books as a temporary measure?? i know it isn't really the same but at least you could still have access to the books you want?

I usually read 2 books a week. I use the local library rather than buying and storing books. Our library gets a good selction of books and regularly has new releases.

Like you, griff, I like the feel of a book.

I read a lot of non fiction, mostly biographies.

Currently I am reading the story of the Syrian refugee girl who travelled to Germany in a wheelchair. The book isn't really well written as she is a young teenager and does divert at times and gets things out of sequence but it is really interesting reading the refugee point of view.

She was in a dinghy travelling at the same time as the family whose little boy became 'the boy on the beach'. She said a large wave came from nowhere and capsized the dinghy the family were in.

It took a lot of determination and money to the people smugglers to travel through all the countries to Germany where two of her brothers were.

She can't understand why Europe didn't open its arms and say welcome to them all. While Europe is the green land they imagined, they have discovered there are not the opportunities for work they expected . One of her brothers is a dentist but is not allowed to work as one in Germany. He expected to be able to do so.

I have also read the book, I Malala, about the Pakistani girl who was shot by the Taliban for going to school and came to the UK for treatment. She is a very intelligent and determined young lady and still fights for girls rights.

I have read all of Jodi Picoult's books which I enjoyed. She writes about complex, human issues.

I do like to mix a heavy read with a light read.

I hope your arm is nothing serious , Jazz.

What a lovely crisp frosty morning it is here. Me likes!

When it comes to books I much prefer to read them on my Kindle as I have a problem holding tree books. I love non-fiction, history mainly, but do like the odd autobiography or biography, usually of political & historical figures, also of actors or someone who has just lead an interesting life. In fiction I do love the Matthew Shardlake novels by C.J Sansom.

blackmagic my friend went to a talk given by Malala and met her afterwards. She said she is so very inspirational and very grounded.

I found it rather scary that in a list of inspirational women, the Muslim woman who won the Bake Off came higher on the list than Malala! Shows the mindset of too many young people these days.

We've got about six book cases full of books, but like you Yantan I have to use my kindle most of the time, as a lot of the bigger books are too hard for me to hold.

I found it rather scary that in a list of inspirational women, the Muslim woman who won the Bake Off came higher on the list than Malala! Shows the mindset of too many young people these days.

We've got about six book cases full of books, but like you Yantan I have to use my kindle most of the time, as a lot of the bigger books are too hard for me to hold.

Bake Off lady I suspect was chosen for her looks rather than anything else. It's down to this obsession of looking good that young people, in particular, buy into.

We could start a public library here we have so many books. I cannot chuck any out or even give them away!