UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September's Salutary Sayings

Yantan

Feeling chuffed I hadn't driven in the dark for almost 2 years because of my bad eye but got a call at 9:30 pm from a close friend who'd had a bit of an upset so I shoved some clothes on (I was already in my pj's) and drove over to see & her got back about 30 mins ago. Vision was absolutely fine, lots of traffic about on my way over there next to none on my way back and theres a very nasty bend around the end of the airport runway which isn't lit at all and I went round it there and back without any stress. It's great to be able to be out in the evening again and not be worrying about driving in the dark.

• Like 1

Well done snow :flowers:

Just got back from our walk and am shaking. One of our dog walking friends was just behind us coming off the field and I heard shouting. Apparently a bloke kicked his dog :mad: This bloke comes on with the junior runners so assume he's a coach (he wears a tshirt with the name of the club on the back). He's always on there and comes across as obnoxious. Craig's dog Jade is a soppy loopy young boxer. She's not got an aggressive bone in her body. When Craig shouted at him, the bloke said that she was attacking people, which is absolute rubbish. He has his own dog with him sometimes. If that's the kind of thing he does to a stranger's dog I feel sorry for his own dog. Can't stand bullies.

Don't suppose there is anything the police can do? Not sure if Craig would report him this time anyway but worth knowing in case he does it again.

Having a weekend off, yay! Wispa needs a break from tracking, and I need a break from the M1. We have been after 3 different dogs, all around the Derbyshire/Leics border. The people at Costa at Trowell services greet me as a regular. Perhaps they think I am an eco warrior as I turn up in scruffy green gear and always bring my own cup.

Snow, that is good news that you can drive in the dark again.

I had a nice comment from one of my neighbours. He asked me if I intended to stay here. I thought, oh no, have I upset someone? But it turned out that as workmen had been here so often and I now have the new front door, people were wondering if I had bought the house to do up and resell at a profit. He said he was really pleased I am staying as they like having me there. Looks like I am definitely in the right place.

Nice work, merle.

• Like 4

The dog we tracked last night, mini dax who had been out for over a month, has just been caught. We found her favourite routes and hunting places and advised owner where to do a bbq and set up a trap. He stayed up all night, bless him, and the little pest sat and watched him. I am sure he would have got her soon, but he was spared any more all nighters as heavy rain today made her seek shelter in a garden shed. Owner of the house found her and cared for her and searched the internet to find her people. I am a happy owl :)

• Like 2

Good news on the dog Owl, and your night driving, Snow.

Alex, I think the club should at least be informed what sort of person they have coaching for them. I imagine a fair few members own dogs and wouldn't take kindly to his behaviour!

We went up to the RSPCA again to spend some time with Janni...think she's going to be a challenge! She's all over the place on the lead, it's like trying to walk a jumping bean. Apparently it was a single woman who had all the dogs, don't know how many exactly, but three different RSPCA branches and the Dogs Trust were all involved and ours took ten of them. She was a hoarder, and sadly it was dogs she hoarded. Janni has always been with other dogs, lots and lots of them by the sound of it. I just hope she won't be too unhappy being on her own, or develop separation anxiety the moment I go and leave her.

We have been enjoying a very lazy weekend off. Yesterday was so wet and windy that we didn't go anywhere at all. Today we went to the reserve for a walk, and we were going later to track another mini dax who went awol yesterday not far from here. But I had a call from very happy owner. One clean dry mini dax had surfaced, obviously he had found a shed as well. Not stupid, those ickle things.

To make my lazy weekend perfect, there has been a Star Trek extravaganza on CBS Action.

Next weekend I will be away camping for the first time in maybe 15 years, at the Spurn migration festival with my ornithologist friend. Weather looks good. Wispa will be staying with Finlay her tracking partner. Wibbling a bit at the thought of being at an event with lots of people, but birdwatchers are relatively easy to be around.