UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September's Salutary Sayings

Yantan

Blackmagic that's just the sort of stuff I like to get stuck into. My friend found out her dad was a bigamist and had changed his surname. She used to wonder why they moved so much during her childhood & then discovered he was a wanted man & was just keeping ahead of the law. She eventually found it all written up in an old newspaper report of his court case.

As a result of the family tree research we did we "found" Rob's Great Uncle Percy who was killed on the Somme at 20 years old, I say we "found" him actually no one has he's one of the tens of thousands who were killed but his remains were never identified. He was killed at High Wood we suspect he was buried in the London Cemetery close by but as the majority of the graves there are unknown soldiers we will probably not ever know for sure. We do know he is commemorated on the Theipval Memorial but we have been unable to find him on any war memorial in Wales. The family have always known he died in the first world war but none of them knew where or when etc. We have also been able to obtain his will from the national archives so were able to find out where he was living before he joined up and we have been emailing and visiting all the churches, and villages trying to see if he's commemorated anywhere though sadly it doesn't look like he is. However Rob has been determined to honor him in some way. This Thursday 8th Sept it will be the 100th anniversary of his death and we have arranged with the Vicar of the church closest to where his family were living at the time to meet with Rob, myself and Rob's mum to say prayers in his name and bless a Somme wreath which Rob will then lay in the Church in an act of remembrance.

• Like 2

Snow, i am not 100% but i think you can get a name added to a memorial..my mums great uncle did it for his brother, not too sure how you go about it but i bet the royal british legion may be able to assist...it is only right that he be officially remembered in his home country, it is the very least we could do

Suzeanna, i am so sorry you have had to cancel your trip and also that things aren't going great for you and philip

Merledogs, i hope your roofer puts right the bad job

I got ever so worried about steve last night, took me an hour to get hold of him.....spoke to him very briefly and i will call him shortly, dreading it really

Snow that's sad if great uncle Percy really isn't on a memorial where he lived. My 2x great uncle Hugh died in WW1 too. He'd previously been in the British army before emigrating to Canada where he became a Mountie, then a farmer before joining the Canadian Machine Gun Corps. He was killed in 1917. I have a photo of his grave in France. His name is on his home town's memorial, together with his nephew who was killed right at the end of the war aged 19, as well as on the one in Tuxford Canada where he lived AND on the one in Regina, Canada. I was fortunate to have someone take photos of both Canadian memorials for me. Percy should have something to his memory other than the Thiepval memorial in France. I hope you either find he has or are able to have the name added. Good luck.

By the way, in case it's of interest to anyone who doesn't already know, all headstones in the WW1 cemeteries have now been photographed so if you have someone who is buried in one you can order a copy https://www.twgpp.org

wow, that is a really great thing isn't it Yantan....i mean a lot of people might not be able to travel to visit the grave but would like to see it and now they can...fantastic!!!

spent an hour on the phone to Steve so at least he has spoken to someone today.....he is very upset, got a bad headache from crying, he is supposed to be back at work tuesday...i can't see that happening somehow.

right, must go and get showered and head off to town...waxing for me, my excitement levels knows no bounds Lol

That's lovely Snow. My mother lost two of her brothers in the war, but they were Merchant Navy and went down with their ships..there is a general memorial but nothing specific.

We may have been to the local RSPCA this morning..they've a lot of dogs in who came from the same home, various types. We may..ok, we have...reserved a black cocker spaniel bitch, six years old. Small for a cocker, and an absolutely nutcase.

• Like 2

She's called Annie..but there are a lot of women around here called Ann, so we're going to change it to Janni. Similar enough for her to understand we mean her! When she came out on a lead she was hiding behind the girl who brought her, but I got down and called her and she jumped all over me and gave me kisses, then went to Philip when he spoke to her so I think she'll be fine. She's mad on a lead though, we'll get a harness for her.

Edited by suzeanna

Aw lovely Suzeanna. I am sure she will settle down. We will require photos of course!

OK the Curwen family history is VERY well documented - enough to back to Ealhmund of Kent who reigned as an under king of Kent in 786. He would be my 39 x great grandfather. Me, and probably thousands upon thousands of others, & no doubt a couple of Fugees too!

Along this same line is King Ethelred the Unready making him my 32 x great grandfather (again along with hundreds of thousand of other people) and twixt Ethelred and Ealhmund comes King Alfred the Great taking the 36 x great grandfather title.

None of you have to curtsey to me and can sit when you like when in my presence. Your welcome.

• Like 3

That is very gracious of you,Yantan. At one time our ancestors were doing battle with each other, I do believe. One of the surnames in my family comes from 3 Danish brothers who settled in Bedfordshire in the 10th century. Some of their descendants are still there.

Very happy for you suzeanna.

Griff, it is so hard to console a friend in that situation but I am sure you are making a difference by just being there and understanding.

• Like 1