UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Observations

Yantan

Hope you get your scan and good news soon Suzeanna :flowers: :GroupHug:

Hope you sleep better tonight Snow :)

Had a day of complete crazies today. It started when I was walking from the tram to the practice, when the local nutter stopped right in front of me and started talking to me - I had my earphones in, so I managed to walk around him and didn't make eye contact. Had a complete nutter of a woman who asked if she needed to take her shoes off, then asked if it was illegal to not wear glasses if the optician had prescribed them, then asked if I could write down what I ate for her as I'm thin and she wants to be as thin as me (she was as wide as she was tall). The whole clinic today was full of people like her. Felt drained when I got out of work. Thankfully I'm off tomorrow, so am going to have a lie in and a nice steady day tomorrow :)

Oh sheesh Jayne you seem to be a magnet for it this week!

Suzeanne disappointing that you are still kept in the dark. Hope the next appt comes through quickly.

Fondant potatoes are a faff but here you go: cut peeled pots out with a cookie cutter & ensure you have a nice flat side front and back. You then gently brown them in a heavy based pan/casserole dish, your

supposed to use butter really but olive oil is fine too, for 5 mins each side without moving them around. You then add around 75 to 100 ml of chicken or veg stock plus 2 garlic cloves, chopped, and a couple of sprigs of thyme (or a shake of dried) to the oil and spuds - carefully as it spits - simmer until tender, then put lid on the pan & transfer to preheated oven 180C and cook for a further 25 to 30 minutes. They are lush.

They sound lush Marion :)

Forgot to say as well, I bought some tights from m&s the other week that said they have a black backseam on them (I bought they as they were ladder resistant!). They have turned a lot of the older patients a bit nostalgic - as they have a line down the back. Anyway, I was stood waiting for my tram home tonight when this old man came up and said over my shoulder in a really creepy Pervy voice 'ooh seamed stockings' and then carried on walking :unsure: :laugh: I really have attracted the weirdos this week :laugh:

Moaning :tired:

9.30 am and I've been up for over six hours already :tired: Good job I've got the day off.

Had a Laura Ashley furniture delivery today - they said between 8 and 10. They came at a minute before 8 - shocking!

Am sooo tired I just want to go back to bed, but am expecting a food delivery between 12 and 2. Time for a nap on the sofa I think. Might turn the heating on for an hour first, it's coooold.

I love mash as well - lashings of butter and milk with lots of pepper and salt, smothered in gravy. Home made roasties tooo, yum.

Edited by merledogs

Gooster, I am laughing at the idea of it being illegal to leave your glasses off. Guilty as charged, and I would like a few thousand similar offences to be taken into consideration. At this very moment I am writing on tablet and my reading glasses are upstairs. Expecting a knock on the door at any moment hehe.

How very rude of that old man to comment like that. I am afraid I get very annoyed by unpleasant seniors. Some people think they have a right to go around being horrid and disrespectful to younger people.

• Like 2

:laugh: owl - the police are on their way :laugh:

I was glad there were other people on the tram platform - I bet he was annoyed with himself though as by taking a detour to make his creepy comment, he missed the tram that was at the stop and had to wait for the next one - I was waiting for one to the Ethiad so didn't want the one that was there.

My wifi appears to be playing silly buggers today, just made a brew and brought it back up to bed with me to watch Netflix, but the wifi isn't working :angry:

• Like 1

well there you go, karma got him Lol

My dad is a sod for his glasses, we have just had to buy him another 2 pairs, there are glasses all over the house but you can guarantee he will ask...has anyone seen my glasses...eejit

Oh dear Merledogs, you aren't sleeping again then? hope you manage to get a kip

I love potatoes in anyway shape or form, baked, fried, roasted, boiled, mashed...don't really like anything in them though...just potato is fine with me

I remember the days of wearing stockings and suspenders, uncomfortable ruddy things. When I used to get the bus to go and visit my mum with my little daughter, to help herself get onto the step of the bus she used to put her hand up my skirt and hang onto my suspender! Gave the conductor a laugh. Oh lord, how old do I sound? Suspenders and bus conductors, two things the young of today know nothing of.

The potatoes sound lovely, but I'm another without the patience to go through all that. Lazy of me I know.

• Like 1

shut the door Jazz, twiddle the knob and away you go Lol

Suzeanna, i bet that was hilarious...not for you obviously....hold ups are a great invention, suspenders and stockings can now just be saved for bedroom activities ....if desired Lol

flippin pups are being dead naughty today, had to pop them in their rates to go to sleep....like having 2 naughty toddlers

Here's another way of doing taters that's no faff at all and these are truly delish. They can be a meal accompaniment or a lunch or supper dish on their own.

Boil one large potato per person, preferably red skinned pots or the ones that have the yellow flesh when cooked as they tend to be tastier, until you can pass a skewer thro them (I find 30 to 40 minutes depending on tater size) Allow them to cool after draining. I usually put them on to boil them in the morning whilst I am pottering or working.

Preheat oven to 180C.

Place cooked taters on a baking sheet - and here's the fun part - squash them down to they split apart (it's strangely satisfying!) use your fist or a tatie masher as you prefer. Season well with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over them, then oven cook until they are all lovely and crisp - about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of potato. Honestly they are amazing!

I remember my aunties using an old silver sixpence to replace the rubber "button" on suspenders. I'd been taken to the park by 2 of my aunties and a few of their friends when I was a titch. The ice cream van pulled up on the road outside the park but none of the ladies had their purses with me so couldn't buy me an ice cream. Well not until one of them remembered she had a tanner helping to hold her stocking up. It turned out most if not all of them had also resorted to this trick. I can remember some of them trying to discreetly remove their stockings to retrieve the sixpenny pieces and between them they had enough for us all to have an ice cream.

Right I must, must get back to work.

• Like 1