UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Julys Jolly Japes

Jazz

OMG. What a day!!! Got a message yesterday asking if I could do the 8.30 start instead of 9.00 start, that was fine. What they didn't tell me though was that we were an optom short this morning, so it was absolutely manic :rolleyes: then at the end of the day I saw the 3.35 appt, then the 3.40 appt, then the 3.50 appt, then the 4.05 appt!! Am knackered now!!

I am aching all over - wonder if it's owt to do with the change in the weather? I am waiting for pain killers to kick in so I can do some work.

Murtle I think you are right on rescue's getting into a pickle and struggling. As a general thought not related to any particular individual I do wonder if it's right to run a rescue and use some of the funds raised as personal income. People are bound to get stressed at the disjointed manner that the money comes in and have to cut corners. I realise that it's very difficult to run a rescue whilst working full time but at least they do then have a guaranteed income and all the money raised for the animals can go to the animals. It's a world away from the big rescues paying out salaries where those salaries are easily covered whilst significant amounts still go into the animals' welfare.

I am currently working here in Sri Lanka with a number of expats / locals who tried to set up rescues , Dogstar which is itself a small charity has had to step in to provide veterinary care , essential services like neutering and even worming and offer advice on reducing numbers

I don't know the answers but I know I am more often than not now awake way into the night trying to raise money to run my own services and now rescue these "rescuers"

I wrote some blog articles recently

http://www.dogstarfoundation.com/blog/animal-welfare--human-welfare-and-why-we-should-care-about-both-/

http://www.dogstarfoundation.com/blog/why-running-a-charity-is-more-like-running-a-business-than-you-would-think-/

I don't have a salary , even if I wanted one Dogstar still does not have the income to pay me . Dogstar's yearly income is 40 % of the salaried position I left in 2006 !

Hope you can get some respite from the pain Jazz xx

Sorry, I laughed griff :-)

Waiting for Butter to come hme so I can take them to my moms. Normally do it in a mad rush on the last day, but I just can't this time. Two nights without the cats whilst at home will be really weird.

Sam that seems a total nightmare. Hope you are able to help where you can.

Thanks Sam. I enjoyed reading those blog entries. Spot on!

I am missing my little Evie. I am supposed to be being really busy tomorrow with paid work so I shouldn't have her but I think I am going to say "yes" anyway if her mum asks me to have her. Who knew that I was going to come over so maternal in my mid 50's! I might have to get a puppy! (only joking)

Murtle I hate feeling like that although it's a long time since I did. My days, weeks, months and years are just flying by. I often feel I would like to slow them all down.

• Like 1

ive been up half the night. sounded like someone was in the garden, breaking wood. couldn't see anyone by my shed

it was the neighbours pitbull (I really wouldn't say staffy) hes ripped holes in all the fences, messed in my garden. ive left it there if they want evidence, its bigger than my dogs so its not theirs. shes a lovely lady, been round to tell her. her son is coming round, hopefully to fix the fences. she told me if my dogs had been out there he would have killed them. nice

ive just changed the ringtone on the homephone as merlin howls at this one. ive just come in from the neighbours, the phone had been ringing and the 3 of them were howling top pitch! problem is, I now have to remember the phone is ringing lol

Archie has been out for hours with Cara, Evie, Sadie and Evie's nanna Karen. They've gone to Whinlatter forest so I expect they are having a lovely wander and a pic-nic. I expect some swimming/paddling will be involved for all of them :) Archie is swimming like an otter now after all those years of being scared to get out of his depth. It's all thanks to Ian who has taught him patiently that there is nothing to fear when Archie's legs no longer feel the bottom. I am so chuffed for Archie as he's always loved splashing and looked longingly at other dogs swimming and now he does it himself! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

edited coz aye is a chump.

Edited by Yantan
  • Like 1