UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Dingle Dangles

merledogs

oh ffs Alicia all these bloody jobsworths! Hope you can get something sorted - are you over age 50? If so maybe you could go through age concern?

This bland diet lark is proving to be a royal pain in the backside - Nog has now started mining for chicken which involves him spitting out the plain boiled rice all over the flipping floor and just eating the chicken! He's also getting suspicious of the antibiotics so yesterdays hiding them in his dinner resulted in him not eating his dinner, this mornings hiding them in chicken breast resulted in him eating the chicken and spitting out the pills so I resorted to wrapping them in fatty chicken skin which I'd taken off the chicken breasts and after a couple of attempts got them down him however he needs more this evening and will be wise to that now *sighs* they very LAST thing I want is to get involved with games over food.

Snow I had a bitch who was a nightmare to give pills to. She could bring them back up even after stuffing them as far down her throat as I could reach and then holding her mouth shut and massaging her throat. She would walk away then spit them out.

I eventually found a system that worked.

Three tasty morsels lined up and shown to the dog.

The middle one had the treats in it.

I gave her first one with no pills in- which she ate. I immediately offered her the doctored on and again immediately offered the third normal treat.

The first normal one dropped her guard and she swallowed the second one quickly to get the third one that I was offering..

Quick delivery was the secret so she didn't have time to think about what she had eaten

My other dog was much easier. you just said ' what's this'? and he took it and swallowed it.

Jazz, sounds a nightmare, i would just ring the GP and tell them what the HA lot have said and just ask they they draft you a letter

Snow, would mash potato be any good to Nog? it will kind of stick to the chicken so make picking it out a bit trickier.... thats what my pair get just plain old boiled potato smasjhed up. As for the tablets well, nog is spoilt!!!! my 2 just get their teeth prised apart and the tablets rammed in, same goes for the cat Lol...mean aren't i? at least i know they have had them and know they will stay in.

Snow I give Archie pills in the exact same manner Owl used to do with her dog. Archie is a begger to get meds into and this is the best solution I've found. I bury his pills in a good strong cheese - he LURVES cheese.

Also have you tried dipping Nog's meds in things like cream cheese, peanut butter or marmite?

I have had a really busy day but don't seem to have accomplished much :confused: My SS parcels are ready to post though :)

I just went to switch the oven on to put some veg in to roast before putting it in an oxtail stew and suddenly realised that I had not eaten today!! A few weeks of days like that will see me loosing weight nay bother :laughingsmiley: Mind you it won't have done my glucose levels any good so I am having an apple with a bit of red Leicester.

Alicia what a stupid bloody system. I hope you can get something sorted :flowers:

Thanks for the tips sadly though we've used them all in the past and he is completely wise to it he's been having pills daily for over 6 years now so its getting harder and harder to fool him - especially the 3 treat trick as he knows one of them will have a pill in it so rather than inhaling the treat he's suspicious of all of them and I've done it with half a dozen bits of treat and even tried the pill in the first or last or 2nd to last one etc. lol the only thing that works every single time is the salami wrapped pill but he's not allowed salami at the moment as its too rich and fatty. I have just got back from Tesco where I bought low fat cottage cheese, low fat plain yoghurt, 2 more packs of chicken roll, 2 packs of chunky chicken pieces, a pack of liver sausage (which I suspect he probably shouldn't have but sod it lol) and some billy sausage slices which were reduced to 47p. He's just had 2 slices of Billy sausage and a third one shredded into itsy bitsy peices and mixed with rice and cottage cheese and he's eaten most of it thankfully as thats the first "proper" meal he's had today, other than a couple of chunks of chicken breast and some chicken roll.

eta - cheese is also not allowed at the moment and he LOVES strong cheese so I have hidden pills in that in the past along with dairylea triangles and dairylea slices - those worked for a couple of years then he went off them hence the switch to salami.

TBH she didnt want him to have cottage cheese either or yoghurt but as he's now refusing the plain rice I really need to get him to have something lining his tummy so sod it previously we've been told cottage cheese was OK.

Snow I totally get where you are coming from and completely understand how difficult it must be for you to get Nog to take his meds. Wracking my brains for anything that might help I'm wondering if you had tried one of those pill dispensers - the syringe type that has a little "claw" at the front to hold the pill and is filled with water so you just inject it as far back into the mouth/throat as you can get. The water ejects the pill and helps wash it down. This was the only way I could get pills into one of my cats who was as every bit as difficult to fool as Nog.

Archie was becoming visibly thinner and had eaten only 2 chicken breasts and a little scrambled egg over 4 days so I put him back on his Wagg yesterday rather than today. I swear he smiled when he saw his dish go into his stand with the Wagg and he was straight in and ate the lot. The balance between trying to do the best for them in order for them to recover or stay healthy against making them miserable and virtually starving them isn't easy.

Thanks for the tips sadly though we've used them all in the past and he is completely wise to it he's been having pills daily for over 6 years now so its getting harder and harder to fool him - especially the 3 treat trick as he knows one of them will have a pill in it so rather than inhaling the treat he's suspicious of all of them and I've done it with half a dozen bits of treat and even tried the pill in the first or last or 2nd to last one etc. lol the only thing that works every single time is the salami wrapped pill but he's not allowed salami at the moment as its too rich and fatty. I have just got back from Tesco where I bought low fat cottage cheese, low fat plain yoghurt, 2 more packs of chicken roll, 2 packs of chunky chicken pieces, a pack of liver sausage (which I suspect he probably shouldn't have but sod it lol) and some billy sausage slices which were reduced to 47p. He's just had 2 slices of Billy sausage and a third one shredded into itsy bitsy peices and mixed with rice and cottage cheese and he's eaten most of it thankfully as thats the first "proper" meal he's had today, other than a couple of chunks of chicken breast and some chicken roll.

eta - cheese is also not allowed at the moment and he LOVES strong cheese so I have hidden pills in that in the past along with dairylea triangles and dairylea slices - those worked for a couple of years then he went off them hence the switch to salami.

TBH she didnt want him to have cottage cheese either or yoghurt but as he's now refusing the plain rice I really need to get him to have something lining his tummy so sod it previously we've been told cottage cheese was OK.

Would he eat sweet potato either boiled and mashed or baked? Mine love it. also butternut squash.

Another standby was fish fingers.

Weight loss is part of whats worrying me although when she weighed him on Monday she said he hadn't lost any since his last weigh in 2 weeks ago, however despite what the scales say I am utterly convinced he's lost weight I took a load of photos of him yesterday and I can see every rib and even the knobs along his spine, he's also losing condition, his coat feels different he's always had silky soft hair everyone remarks on how soft it is like a babys blanket really but now it feels drier and not so soft. He's on day 4 without any pain relief or anti inflammatories but seems to be coping fine I have plenty of Tramadol but for now I'm holding off to see whether or not he actually needs them. He hasn't been sick since Monday but he's got a runny bum - though thats probably the antibiotics. He just doesn't seem "right" can't put my finger on it really but I know my dog and my dog is not well.

Blood tests tomorrow which hopefully will shed some light.

I have a HUGE bag of fish fingers in the freezer vet suggested them last time - Nog spat them out all over the floor gawd knows why as he LOVES fish, which is part of the reason I am worried as he's starting to refuse stuff he has always loved.

I've just had a brain wave - Nog is never fed from our plates when we eat (OK not never ever but not very often) whenever I have sneaked him a little treat he's wolfed it down without tasting it - recently he's been incredibly interested in what we're having and has had to be told to go lie down while we eat, maybe I can sneak the pills into him by pretending the stuff is from my plate whilst we have our dinner .... only snag is I don't want to establish it being OK for him to bug people when they are eating.

• Like 1

Snow I had a bitch who was a nightmare to give pills to. She could bring them back up even after stuffing them as far down her throat as I could reach and then holding her mouth shut and massaging her throat. She would walk away then spit them out.

I eventually found a system that worked.

Three tasty morsels lined up and shown to the dog.

The middle one had the treats in it.

I gave her first one with no pills in- which she ate. I immediately offered her the doctored on and again immediately offered the third normal treat.

The first normal one dropped her guard and she swallowed the second one quickly to get the third one that I was offering..

Quick delivery was the secret so she didn't have time to think about what she had eaten

My other dog was much easier. you just said ' what's this'? and he took it and swallowed it.

Thast's the time tested method and always seems to work.

Ok mega rant alert, hoping that most of you will have gone to bed.

Pod finished 7 pm. Builder packing up, care assistant arriving, then hysterical and furious neighbour comes to my door and rants at me non stop, saying she has reported me to the council over the pod and intends to sue me for devaluing her house. Apparently I have destroyed her privacy as I can look right into her sitting room. You can't do that from the pod without standing on tiptoe and craning your neck, and they have blinds anyway. The pod is at right angles to mum's house, and looks across a series of gardens which all have 5 ft fences.

I pleaded with her to let me speak and said if she was worried about the pod doors facing across her garden I would have a trellis or screen put up. I did ask her first of course and she raised no objection, but she assumed without asking that the pod would face mum's house. She was raving at me in front of builder and care assistant! Then she went on about how she was a Christian and tried to be make allowances but what I had done had destroyed their home etc. I asked why she had not said anything before while she watched it going up, but she said she did not have enough time. Time to go to the council though ... She says she is willing to discuss things tomorrow, if I go to her house and go in and see how awful it looks from their house. But I have decided I won't do that unless I have someone with me, otherwise they will intimidate me.

Went to see other neighbour, aged 90 but very active. She is also upset but would have suffered in silence. She says it is an eyesore and I have devalued mum's property because no one will ever buy the house in the future. I had discussed it with her all the way along and explained the size, but she says she doesn't understand metres and thought it was going to be a very small summer house or garden shed size. She said she will just have to put up with it now. I said I am prepared to have it dismantled when I leave the house, and I think that met with her approval.

What really annoyed me about the first neighbour is another major complaint of hers. This is that for years she has chatted across my garden with the 90 yr old neighbour on our other side. She now feels I have interfered with this as by putting the pod in the garden I have made her uncomfortable about it. I have never been aware of them chatting so obviously they do it when I am not there. I can only assume that if I am going to be in the pod they won't be able to see whether I am around or not, so they won't feel free to talk. It has not occurred to her that this is an invasion of MY privacy.

Have discussed with sister and a couple of friends. Will visit council in morning. Will write letters to both neighbours with suggestions for compromise, and say that I am willing to discuss a way forward but in writing only.

Also found that the stroppy neighbour has been berating some of the carers for parking on the public road in front of their garden, and saying they must park in mum's drive. Most of their visits are only short, so it wastes time backing in and out when they are in a hurry.

This capped an awful week which I can't talk about because it is confidential, but I can say that someone in a position of responsibility behaved very badly indeed and is probably going to come out smelling of roses.

Mostly I live a solitary life with a few good friends, human and canine. I try not to cause any trouble. I never complain to a neighbour unless it's something really dire e.g. loud rock music at 3 a.m. So why do so many people hate me so much?

Owl, I am so sorry you have had to endure this abuse. I think you have been totally reasonable and I hope that in the cool light of day things can be sorted to everyone's satisfaction. Beware that you do not give in too much and leave yourself with something you are not happy about. Sometimes you can be too reasonable. :(