UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March' Mad Mumblings

merledogs

Karen, Rosie sounds like she is having a vestibular attack. It is the scariest thing in the world to see, but take hope that Charlie is much better less than a week later :flowers: :GroupHug:

Was supposed to be working in Buxton today. Got just past Dove Holes and they had closed the A6, so had to turn around and come home. My landy was having no issues with the snow, so I think we could have got there, but they wouldn't let me through :) One of the girls I work with had been let through the road block in her landy, but spun off and ended in a snowdrift. The snowdrifts were massive and up to my windows :)

Lots of snow here. Lots of roads closed. Lots of motorists stranded overnight.

Karen I am sending positive thoughts for Rosie.

I'm feeling rather sickly today.

Hope you are feeling less sickly now :GroupHug:

Thank you all for the good thoughts for Rosie. She is indeed having a vestibular attack, so has had an anti-sickness jab and we are keeping her quiet. She's small for a labrador, but still a big dog to be crashing over. Can't get her to drink though, she seems scared of the water or bowl.

She went to the vet last night as her back legs are getting progressively weak and wobbly, which isn't helping with her inability to stand straight today.

Hope everyone surrounded by snow is okay. It has settled on the grass here but the roads are still clear as yet, and although it is still snowing it is very fine stuff that's having little impact.

I am worried about my Dad who has been to the hospital for an x-ray and been prescribed oramorph by the cancer nurses as his coughing was so bad. They didn't tell me any of this stuff while I was away working for a couple of days. Dad's appetite has declined and he is doing very little. He is suggesting I take my Mum shopping to look at blinds and saying he doesn't do shopping - I know normally he'd have taken her even so :( Mum went out to lunch one day leaving cauliflower cheese in the microwave for Dad - he ate it cold as he couldn't operate the microwave!

What you may find Karen is that it makes her feel worse to put her head down to drink. If you try lifting the water bowl up a bit, she may be a bit better :unsure: My vet described vestibular as the whole world is just spinning around really quickly, which is why they keep collapsing and why they develop nystagmus. Her sight will be pretty poor at the moment as well, until her nystagmus (jerky eyes) stops. :GroupHug: :grouphug: to you both, it is super scary.

:GroupHug: for Rosie. I hope she soon starts recovering. Sophie had a vestibular attack a few days before we had her put to sleep - unfortunately hers was central vestibular (much rarer than the normal kind) caused by a brain tumour, so there was no recovery. The vet did say that the attacks make them feel very seasick, and so they tended not to want to eat. He did say that it sometimes helped to confine them to a crate, as they then wouldn't try to get up and move around, and to hand feed them things they could eat while lying down as the sickness was much worse when they tried to stand up. Could you feed her some sort of wet food - that'd help keep her hydrated if she can't physically manage drinking from a bowl. I hope she perks up soon - the recovery rate for peripheral vestibular is pretty good. And :GroupHug: for you - try not to worry too much.

:GroupHug: Whizzie - I hope your dad is ok.

This weekends agility show has been cancelled, so I'm trying to catch up on coursework. I'm doing a canine behaviour and psychology course, and am a bit behind. I'm starting another free online course through coursera on Monday as well. I'm definitely going to have to knuckle down and be a bit more disciplined about getting my work done, or I'm going to drown.

I am worried about my Dad who has been to the hospital for an x-ray and been prescribed oramorph by the cancer nurses as his coughing was so bad. They didn't tell me any of this stuff while I was away working for a couple of days. Dad's appetite has declined and he is doing very little. He is suggesting I take my Mum shopping to look at blinds and saying he doesn't do shopping - I know normally he'd have taken her even so :( Mum went out to lunch one day leaving cauliflower cheese in the microwave for Dad - he ate it cold as he couldn't operate the microwave!

Sorry to hear that your Dad is struggling. :GroupHug: for you and the rest of your family.

What you may find Karen is that it makes her feel worse to put her head down to drink. If you try lifting the water bowl up a bit, she may be a bit better :unsure: My vet described vestibular as the whole world is just spinning around really quickly, which is why they keep collapsing and why they develop nystagmus. Her sight will be pretty poor at the moment as well, until her nystagmus (jerky eyes) stops. :GroupHug: :GroupHug: to you both, it is super scary.

She definitely can't see straight, you are right! She's starving hungry and not being sick fortunately, but can smell the food and can't see it. I thought perhaps the water swishing round in the stainless steel bowl might be a bit off-putting, so we've tried a plastic tub without success. She can't safely stand, so all this is while laying down.

I will be cooking fish and rice for her tea and adding extra water!

:GroupHug: for Rosie. I hope she soon starts recovering. Sophie had a vestibular attack a few days before we had her put to sleep - unfortunately hers was central vestibular (much rarer than the normal kind) caused by a brain tumour, so there was no recovery. The vet did say that the attacks make them feel very seasick, and so they tended not to want to eat. He did say that it sometimes helped to confine them to a crate, as they then wouldn't try to get up and move around, and to hand feed them things they could eat while lying down as the sickness was much worse when they tried to stand up. Could you feed her some sort of wet food - that'd help keep her hydrated if she can't physically manage drinking from a bowl. I hope she perks up soon - the recovery rate for peripheral vestibular is pretty good. And :GroupHug: for you - try not to worry too much.

Thank you. There is a minor worry that Rosie has a tumour somewhere in her nervous system. She had a MRI last year because of the unexplained mis-coordination of her back legs. The vet is phoning to check on Rosie tomorrow, even though the practise is closed, so I think she's a bit concerned too. But hopefully I will be able to report an improvement by tomorrow!

Sorry about your dad Whizzie, you must be very worried.

Hope you are ok for food Owl..we managed to drive into Clay Cross but the main road to Chesterfield was blocked. My son in law was meant to drive up to his dad in Ormskirk today and he was going to try it,but my daughter begged him not to and he saw sense!

Marion sorry you aren't well :GroupHug:

Whizzie sorry about your dad :GroupHug:

Can you try Rosie with a touch of milk added to the water -its what I give mine when they wont drink. Alternatively syringe small amounts into her mouth :GroupHug:

Snow has been and gone here and I am still fed up of it so really feel for those who have it worse.

So sorry your dad isn't doing well Liz

Pleased Charlie is improving Jayne

Hope you're not coming down with something Marion. Very good of your mechanic.

Hope Rosie comes round from it quickly Karen

Have everything crossed that's Bruno's mass was benign and hope he is more settled now

It's hard to judge whether you should go somewhere or not in this weather. We decided against today. I'm more wary since Martyn got stranded trying to get back home before Xmas. We've been looking at kitchens instead.

Hope you are ok for food Owl..we managed to drive into Clay Cross but the main road to Chesterfield was blocked. My son in law was meant to drive up to his dad in Ormskirk today and he was going to try it,but my daughter begged him not to and he saw sense!

Yes thank you, got well stocked up before the snow hit and have provisions for everyone here also coal. I am relieved your son-in-law didn't go to Ormskirk, definitely a bad idea.

I was going on a transport run tomorrow but doubt if I can make it to the M1. Everyone concerned is reviewing the situation at 8 a.m. tomorrow. If the A61 is blocked that is very bad news, not that I would be using it but it means most of the A roads round Chesterfield are in a bad way.

I think my nice farmer neighbour down the road must be getting a bit fed up, he had to go out again and haul an estate car out of a hedge. Then a pickup got stuck and it took 6 guys to get it back on the road. As they were coming down the hill there was another 4x4 coming up, they flagged the driver down and told him not to even think about going up there. He ignored them and next minute was waltzing all over the road. Then another 4x4 driver tried as I was by my gate. He ignored my waving and went up to do the same thing, and had to reverse down. He opened the window and called out cheerily "That was disappointing, I came out to have some fun up there." And drove off before I could say that our road is not some kind of playground.

It's worse in N Wales. A friend has been involved in setting up a community shop and cafe in her village. They had their grand opening today. They had 3 customers - who had been out skiing!