UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Daily Digest

gooster

Hmmmm why has everyone decided that grass is bad? 90% of the houses I'm looking at seem to have either paving slabs, concrete or decking for the whole garden area :wacko: Hubby seems to think paving slabs/concrete would be smelly with Nog weeing on them all the time part of me thinks the same but I also think maybe it would be easier to keep the house clean with no muddy feet on what will be MY rather than the RAF's carpets :laugh: those of you who don't have grass - do you find it gets smelly? If so how do you deal with that?

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm why has everyone decided that grass is bad? 90% of the houses I'm looking at seem to have either paving slabs, concrete or decking for the whole garden area :wacko: Hubby seems to think paving slabs/concrete would be smelly with Nog weeing on them all the time part of me thinks the same but I also think maybe it would be easier to keep the house clean with no muddy feet on what will be MY rather than the RAF's carpets :laugh: those of you who don't have grass - do you find it gets smelly? If so how do you deal with that?

Hi! Creeping out of the woodwork to say:

We have about two thirds grass and the rest paved. The grass bit is fenced off with a gate and now it's winter the dogs only go on the paved area. Ours gets smelly and green ( yuk!). The green bit is because it's rather a gloomy area and doesn't dry out too well. We use a jet washer to get rid of the green stuff and use Safe4 Pets odour killer and disinfectants. Not the cheapest but a little goes a long way.

Much better than loads of mud in the house. :flowers:

We had a typical suburban garden and two bitches and a dog. Every winter the grass was a mess. We would repair and reseed and it would be looking great by September, just in time for winter again.

So, we decided to slab most of it but laid bark on an area for the dogs to use. With three they neede a decent sized area, but one dog wouldn't need so much.

A fiend used the area behind his garage for his dog 's loo area.

We left borders round the edge.

The dog were easily trained to use the bark area , which had permeable membrane underneath for drainage. I had a pea stick for the dog to wee against but he preferred my ornamental toadstools.

The amount of rain we get in Scotland mostly kept it fresh but if we got a long dry spell in the summer a rinse with a solution of biological washing powder was enough.

Once a year I lifted the bark and put it on the borders as a mulch and put down new stuff.

I wouldn't recommend decking for everyday use areas as it gets very slippery when wet or frosty.

Later, when we had two dogs who lifted their legs to wee we replaced the ordinary slabs with fancy ones and did away with the bark.

The dogs used the borders then.

Many people use gravel but I found when my dogs got old and arthritic they found walking on gravel painful.

I have always trained my dogs to use one area of the garden so that the rest of the garden was suitable for the kids playing in.

Suzeanna can you ring NHS direct anyway, in case it gets worse :flowers:

Rant alert:

I am really really trying to be tolerant, but I really struggle with illogical people who don't want to listen. Especially when it is family. Normally I would quite happily ignore, but I am trying at the moment, I can't see it lasting. grrrrrrrrrr

we used to use a product called Odour gone on our lawn when it smelt of pee...safe for use all over apparently, i did consider getting rid of the lawns having had it replaced twice and reseeded yearly but it was too expensive... we did consider gravel but as has already been mentioned it wouldn't be great for a dog riddled with arthritis plus my vet was very concerned about laney running on it (he has delicate skin) we ended up putting some decking in the sunny bit but it is like a death trap when wet/ frosty.... even with special no slip paint :rolleyes:

Murtle deep breath and count to 10 :flowers:

Jazz you have been very busy..... i did the dogs dinner and that was it :laugh:

Owl i am taking a leaf out of your book.... i am staying in!

Oh lord Alex, you've scared me to death...I just looked at Google Images of SJ syndrome, it's awful. I don't have the lesions but if it doesn't settle down soon I'm ringing NHS direct :mecry:

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you :( Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif I assume your doctor would have told you if that was a possibility with your tablets flowers.gif

We have about two thirds grass and the rest paved. The grass bit is fenced off with a gate and now it's winter the dogs only go on the paved area. Ours gets smelly and green ( yuk!). The green bit is because it's rather a gloomy area and doesn't dry out too well. We use a jet washer to get rid of the green stuff and use Safe4 Pets odour killer and disinfectants. Not the cheapest but a little goes a long way.

Much better than loads of mud in the house. :flowers:

Wot she said. I fence my lawn off with temporary fencing during the winter months to save it turning into a mud pit. I get algae on my paving stones too and jet wash it once a year in the spring. If you brush it regularly, then you get less algae as it can't stick.

The dogs do have their usual places they pee up, which I spray regularly with a Jeyes fluid solution to get rid of the smell.

Edited by merledogs

One of the girls has said that she will never help at a show, she's there to compete and nothing else - just as well we don't all have that attitude as shows would not happen!!!!

there are some very lazy people in this world :mad:

Houndzrus, thanks for the offer of the toms but i am not growing anything ever again all that time i spent watering them and making sure they didn't get too cold

Well, two will be sown with your name on :ph34r:

been busy this morning

stripped the bed, thats in the tumble dryer

clothes are washed and away

made the dogs flapjacks. they have taste tested and like them, so glad as ive done 2 trays lol

cleaned the kitchen, dishwashers on for the 2nd time

that will do for now I think

I think that more than enough :biggrin:

My neck and upper chest have come out in a raised red hot and very itchy rash, it's driving me mad!

:GroupHug:

Rant alert:

Especially when it is family. Normally I would quite happily ignore, but I am trying at the moment, I can't see it lasting. grrrrrrrrrr

Families can be a nightmare :rolleyes:

RMF: I need to iron my work clothes, but I can't be bothered.

awww Snow some big changes coming up for both of you :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Suzeanna.... how is the rash today???

Murtle hope you didn't kill your family member :laugh:

Houndzrus, thankyou you are very kind (i never used to eat tomatoes until 2 weeks ago when i got dead brave and diced one into my salad and it was quite nice :biggrin: )

i have the doctors today, need to get my painkillers sorted out again and need to check if he has heard from the hospital, i had an op in october and i am sure they said i would be seen in 2 months...... no appointment and they normally send me one 6 weeks in advance :rolleyes: i won't ring the consultants secretary as i don't like him and i hope i can get to see the man who operated on me. doesn't really matter anyway as my hearing hasn't come back and it is around 2 years since i lost the hearing so it has gone for good

Sorry about your hearing Griff, it must be heartbreaking after all these ops and waiting. :GroupHug:

I managed to get an appt with the doc this morning at 8.50, showed him my chest and he winced and said I'm obviously allergic to the Allopurinol, not to take any more (didn't intend to, as it said on a website that a skin reaction could be warning of further reactions which could be fatal!) and take antihistamine and it should clear up in day or two. He's writing to my haematology consultant to tell him and ask where to go next with treatment.

Freezing cold here today, but blue sky and sunshine which is better than milder and wet. :biggrin: