UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

February's Fascinating Fandangles

Mrs B

Oh dear, such a lot of bad news! Sorry about your eyes Snow, it is ridiculous that you weren't given all the information before, it must have been an awful shock coming out of the blue like that.

Owl, is your sister any nearer your mother than you are? could she not go round, or would it (I don't know how you or your sister are fixed for money)be possible for you speak to an agency for private nurses and see if you could pay someone to go round and do the drops? The cost would be slightly offset by not having to use petrol/diesel to get there?

Nige, I'm so so sorry for your loss, we all know how much Archie meant to you. :GroupHug:

Edited by suzeanna

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: for Nige. I will post something on Archie's thread later

:GroupHug: for Snow - too much for you to take in in one go I'm sure :unsure:

Owl - ditto absolutely everyone else - too much for you to do every day. I'd start by seeing if the GP's surgery can support, if not, ask them for suggestions, if not check out how much it would cost for a carer to go in each night (surely less than the cost of the fuel!), and if all else fails, find a reliable teenager (they do exist!) who would do the job for some pocket money.

Just had my one to one at work this morning. "Stuff" has been going on here, but I didn't realise just how much it had affected me until I had successfully negotiated items 1-3 on my list, arrived at number 4, the 'biggy' and promptly just went :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: Not very professional! But I guess my boss does now know how I do feel!

Best bruise now resembles a mileage chart - and keeps growing. :laugh:

Edited by Mrs B

Snow, we are thinking of you, so much to deal with at once and not acceptable that they did not tell you what they knew.

Griff, a relief that you have a doctor who will listen. Hope something can be done at least to make things a bit better.

So sad about Archie, I posted on the thread. :mecry:

Owl, is your sister any nearer your mother than you are? could she not go round, or would it (I don't know how you or your sister are fixed for money)be possible for you speak to an agency for private nurses and see if you could pay someone to go round and do the drops? The cost would be slightly offset by not having to use petrol/diesel to get there?

My sister works full time and lives in Billericay, which is the main reason I moved here. My mum does have enough funds to pay for more care. She has carers in for 3 short visits a day to do meals and laundry etc. We still have the problem that she will not accept personal care from them e.g. bath/washing and if I didn't go in regularly we would have a serious problem. They are doing the twice daily daytime drops, but the night one can only be done last thing before sleeping. I phoned mum last night to remind her but of course she had forgotten all about eyedrops. She did find them by her bed where I left them and apparently did put them in. I will phone her to remind every night, if that doesn't work we will have to see about another care visit last thing in the evening. You are right, I can't go over every night, I don't know what I was thinking.

Some of the carers are brilliant, others just do the minimum. Those have done even less since I moved here as they tend to think everything is my job to do.

Edited by owl

Health workers are not my favourite people at the moment..my son's mother in law suffers badly from MS, can barely walk, has difficulty with her hands and arms. She has moved in with them in Lancing (she used to be in Scotland), but her husband died in August of throat cancer and she couldn't manage alone. Last weekend, she was in pain and throwing up, and was taken by ambulance on Saturday night to the local hospital, since when they have done....nothing. She's been examined by three doctors who all agreed they could feel a lump in her abdomen which could be ovarian cyst, or fibroids or something worse. She has been promised a transvaginal scan, which couldn't be done because she couldn't lift her legs up :angry: then an ultrasound and a CT scan, promised daily, haven't happened. She's convinced she has cancer and they aren't telling her, my daughter in law is falling apart and I think my son is about to murder someone. Ain't our NHS wonderful?? Hope you get something sorted for your mother, Owl.

Even with carers, we always know who has been in. Some try to fit in as many as possible in a short time as possible. It makes the job so much harder for those that really do care.

It is easy with people who like to have carers go in. But you earn your money where people are not so sure/those that who rather you didn't darken their doorway.

Which reminds me. off to work I go!!

Edited by greys mum

im so sorry nige :mecry:

I hope they sort you out snow :flowers:

ooo am I happy! went into the charity shop, got a new disney branded tshirt with tinkerbelle on, and a pair of combats, size 12, that are a bit too big! for £1 each (14s are too big but 12s are too small, but have lost a little bit more weight)

suzeanna, that is appalling about the Lancing hospital :angry:

I have just been to A&E at Chesterfield Royal and they were great. They have a minor injuries clinic where you are first seen by a nurse practitioner. I was concerned because the rib pain doesn't seem to be improving. Turns out it is not a cracked rib :biggrin: but damage to intercostal muscles which will take at least 6 weeks to mend :mellow: but should start to get better in a week to 10 days.

I have just been to A&E at Chesterfield Royal and they were great. They have a minor injuries clinic where you are first seen by a nurse practitioner. I was concerned because the rib pain doesn't seem to be improving. Turns out it is not a cracked rib :biggrin: but damage to intercostal muscles which will take at least 6 weeks to mend :mellow: but should start to get better in a week to 10 days.

Its weird how soft tissue injury is often more painfull than bones.

How are you doing Nigel ?

Still ouch but good news that it will at least start to get better sooner rather than later. Glad that you got it looked at :flowers:

:GroupHug: to everyone in need

Snow, if you have got any questions feel free to PM me :flowers: The ophthalmologist probably saw a melanoma which is a benign freckle on the retina, which so long as it it flat and doesn't grow, does no harm. I am of the thought that any patient should know exactly what I see, to stop any patients panicking if they see an ophthalmologist and they tell them they have seen something that I didn't tell them about!

Sounds like Costocondritis. I feel your pain I was in agony for ages with it. A hot water bottle is very soothing. I did mine bowling :rolleyes:

Have been out for my brother's birthday. Ate and drank too much to the point I legged it to the loo because I thought I was going to be sick :unsure: Think it was more to do with trapped gas after a bit of wander outside felt safe enough to drive home. That'll teach me!!

Edited by lil_angel