UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

February's Fascinating Fandangles

Mrs B

left laney with stuffed kongs.... treat balls, flying saucer toys and bones and he still barked :mecry: :mecry: i have spoken to my neighbour again and she said it has only been going on a few months, i just don't know what has triggered his behaviour. my neighbour did say she got worried as she is asian and they believe that a howling dog is sensing death and her mum was sick when it started :unsure: i hope that isn't true as i will be worrying about my family and the pets

Have you tried leaving an article of clothing that you have worn( and smells of you ). My cousin had to leave a old pair of jeans for her dog to lie on when she went out.

Is he a nervous dog? Could something have frightened him?

Is he clingy when you are at home or can you go into another room without him following you?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griff, the subject of barking dogs is a nightmare to deal with - so much to try to work out.

Does Laney have the run of the house when you are out? Or certain rooms? Tigger barks at things he sees - children going past, some dogs (not others!), postmen, etc. But if he's in a room with a 'garden' view, he's quiet mostly.

I had complaints that Tigger barked "all the time" - so set up a video to record - I spent a lot of time watching back footage of Tigger completed flaked out on the bed, and only the odd occasion when he actually barked - so it can be perception. But if you can record, that might help you understand what the triggers are.

If Laney barks when you've left to say "where have you gone", that's a different problem to him seeing things which cause him to bark.

Separately ....... it appeared that if I actually wanted a GP at my surgery to see my foot ....... I couldn't be ill until 9th March! So I went up to the Walk in Centre, and coincidentally was seen my someone who trains in a dog class at the same place as me!

Anyway, no broken bones, BUT I have damaged all the soft tissues on top of my foot, bruised the bones - and by the time I was seen, it was nicely swollen too. I now need to spent the next three days off work with my foot stuck up in the air, taking anti-inflammatories and pain killers, and alternating hot and cold compresses on it.

So, I had to pootle back to work to try to put my desk in order, as this meant I wouldn't be there again until 7th March what with one thing and another, and am now trying to be good.

The fact that I am supposedly preparing for an event this weekend involving lots of baking is somewhat unfortunate - now I'm home I can't believe how much more my foot is hurting (probably 'cause I've now given myself 'permission' to hurt), nor the fact that it's hurting in all the places it did when my foot was broken. I'm just having to hope that three days rest will mean I can get back to the baking on Thursday.

And if it's still hurty painful then, then I have to go to my GP anyway (probably on April Fools Day if I'm lucky) and go for X-rays.

Off to decide whether I need a hot or cold foot now.

Oh, and all dosed out on tablets, so I could be up to anything on here!

im glad you have had your foot seen to,at least you know what it is

does anyone eat goat? or mutton? know where to get it from, near me in harlow essex, or would you recommend having it sent? my friend made goat curry, it was gorgeous. loads of bones in it, but im sure it can be bought without

It has been very cold today, so I took Wispa down to a woodland park in Dronfield which we had never visited before to keep out of the bitter wind. We met some nice people with a young lab, so plenty of muddy fun and games. Then I took Polly out into the garden, but she wanted to go for a walk up the road. And she forced me to JOG all the way up the hill and back, about 3/4 of a mile. I do not do jogging. Well, not until I had a Cortaflex-fuelled deaf-blind dog who can't be let offlead.

Have you tried leaving an article of clothing that you have worn( and smells of you ). My cousin had to leave a old pair of jeans for her dog to lie on when she went out.

Is he a nervous dog? Could something have frightened him?

Is he clingy when you are at home or can you go into another room without him following you?

Griff, the subject of barking dogs is a nightmare to deal with - so much to try to work out.

Does Laney have the run of the house when you are out? Or certain rooms? Tigger barks at things he sees - children going past, some dogs (not others!), postmen, etc. But if he's in a room with a 'garden' view, he's quiet mostly.

I had complaints that Tigger barked "all the time" - so set up a video to record - I spent a lot of time watching back footage of Tigger completed flaked out on the bed, and only the odd occasion when he actually barked - so it can be perception. But if you can record, that might help you understand what the triggers are.

If Laney barks when you've left to say "where have you gone", that's a different problem to him seeing things which cause him to bark.

i have taped him using a cctv camera but it has no sound, i can't figure out what on earth sets him off, i have tried shutting the curtains and turning the tv up a bit incase he is hearing something outside, unfortunately laney has to be shut in the living room (the front of the house) as he can't climb the stairs anymore since he knackered his leg,he is too big for me to carry upstairs as well. i will try leaving my smelly socks or a top or something for him :laugh: i am able to walk round the house, go in the garden and he will happily stay lying on the sofa, he is such a complicated dog and has really put me off having another dog..... diez seems like a little angel compared to him :laugh:

Jazz we can buy goat mutton etc in the ethnic areas round here..... do you have an area like that near you? that is probably the best place to look :flowers:

Mrs B hope your poorly foot is better soon and i am very pleased there is nothing broken!

Does anyone have any idea who Barney Jardine is. Wants to be my friends on facebook and is a dog. :laugh:

He is just a random friendly dog who wants friends on Facebook :). I don't think his owners are on any forums but he has made loads of friends who are on dogpages just by adding friends of friends of friends (if you know what I mean).

I am tired, can I go to bed yet? :unsure:

thank you, ill have a look

as soon as I turn the key in the door, freddie will start barking. he doesnt bark for long, but will start again when someone walks past talking, which is often. I shut the hall doors so the people who do complain, dont hear him as much

as ive said to the neighbours, I do have to go out and cant stop people walking past

its a tough thing. can you borrow a camera with sound?

March 12th :jumpy: for 3 weeks I just an email confirmation of the flights they have booked for me and I am very very very very excited

They have booked me a fantastic apartment as well, I cannot belive my bloody luck I really can't

you deserve it Sam, plus it will look good on your CV, headhunted to consult 'down under'

you deserve it Sam,

what a kind thing to say thank you flowers.gif

I am very excited about a very exciting dogstar related thing that I have been excited about for a while but now I am able to be openly exited about now

http://www.therefugeforums.org.uk/forums/index.php/topic/52124-the-dogs-dinner-wear-it-again-charity-ball-june-25th-2011/page__pid__919175?do=findComment&comment=919175

this is how excited I am :jumpy:

I am very excited about a very exciting dogstar related thing that I have been excited about for a while but now I am able to be openly exited about now

http://www.therefugeforums.org.uk/forums/index.php/topic/52124-the-dogs-dinner-wear-it-again-charity-ball-june-25th-2011/page__pid__919175?do=findComment&comment=919175

this is how excited I am :jumpy:

Think it sounds very exciting Sam and a brilliant idea - I'm sure we all have those sort of clothes in the back of our wardrobes that could do with a good airing and wearing :biggrin:

Hope Dogstar can make lots of much needed cash from the event.

As it is now officiallly March I have started a new RMF for everyone - hope that's OK with the mods :unsure:

Edited by rufus the wonderdog