UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December Random Merry Fumblings

merledogs

Can I just rudely burst into RMF without acknowledging anyone else's posts and ask an urgent question please?

My boss at my part time job wants me to log into the work mail server to access my emails right now. When I type in the IP address he gave me I get this message:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate. The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address. Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server. We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

.... He says it's just that my PC doesn't recognise his server and that I should just continue and click through to the site. But I'm a bit nervous. Is there anybody about who understands computers and security certificates and stuff please? I use McAfee antivirus and firewall if that helps.

There is a problem with this website's security certificate. The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address. Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server. We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

.... He says it's just that my PC doesn't recognise his server and that I should just continue and click through to the site. But I'm a bit nervous. Is there anybody about who understands computers and security certificates and stuff please? I use McAfee antivirus and firewall if that helps.

Assuming that you have typed the address correctly, and the owner of the server has confirmed that he has a self-signed or a shared SSL certificate, then getting this message doesn't mean the server at the other end has a problem. It just means that the security system being used at the other end doesn't have an official stamp on it. So, it's saying your Pc is looking up the certificate in the Big Book of Certificates and can't find it.

You should be particularly careful that you have the address exactly correct, and that the format of the URL at the point where you get this message starts with https:// Your antivirus and firewall should still operate as normal if you click through this message, so you aren't disabling anything.

Thanks Victoria. Boss is a complete knob and only pretends to understand about IT, so I just wanted to make sure it was OK to follow his instructions :flowers:

You could tell him that he can buy a cheap SSL certificate from http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ssl-certificates/ for 15 quid and avoid alarming people in future. :wink:

You did exactly the right thing in NOT continuing and assuming it would be OK, but stopping and checking with the person who gave you the web address, I'd have done exactly the same. :biggrin:

Tis all dark blue shadow and sparkly white here. Took Wispa out for a few mins, saw her into the house ahead of me. Stayed in dark hall getting boots off, and saw a black nose trying to get through the door. Thought that's funny, she must have been quick to whizz out again. Opened door and whistled, big dog shot through into living room and I thought OK, she is definitely inside now. Then was amazed to see her mooching round the yard in the dusk. Opened door again, whistled, dog shot in. Went into the living room to find it a bit crowded by one amused puli, one annoyed pointery fing, and 2 enormous grinning labrador boys saying where's the food? :laugh: :ohmy: Then there was a sound outside and labrador 3 turned up along with concerned mum so I heaved the freeloaders out to join them and they all whizzed off in a flurry of snow.

I'd have loved to have seen your expression! :laugh:

@Merledogs - I was at a talk by a medical herbalist yesterday which was fascinating.We all tried onion syrup which is great for sore throats, coughs,colds etc Several people there had colds & felt their symptoms ease - stinky but effective :rolleyes: just raw onions with sugar. Wihin a few hours the sugar draws out the onion juice to make the syrup

Fingers crossed for you Sam :flowers:

Giggling lots at the invaders Owl :laugh:

Hope you feel better soon Alex :flowers:

Congratulations on your win Amy :biggrin:

I spent all that time clearing a tiny bit of the driveway so hubby could get his car on yesterday and broke all my wonky bits to the point where I can't stand up now and yesterday afternoon a man knocked on the door and offered to clear the whole driveway (and it's a big 'un) for £5 - I nearly ripped his arm off :laugh:

There were 4 of them and they cleared the whole thing in 15mins and did a fab job :biggrin:

Thought i would pop in and give you all a :wavey:

More snow overnight , yuck stay warm and safe where ever you are and what ever you are doing ,

Fiona xx

Helloo! :biggrin:

We have the tinyest possible amount of snow. Mark has insisted on borrowing Helga my trusty Saab rather than risk his expensive car on snow in the lanes. :mecry::angry:

Rmf - am so mad at northern rail this morning!! The train I usually get has 4 carriages but the platform is too short for all 4, so only 3 are opened at my station. This morning, only 2 were open and they were completely full. So instead of using some common sense/compassion and opening the 3rd carriage, the conductor left about 30 of us behind!!!! He was being really rude and threatening to call the police. Thankfully loads of people were filming it on their mobiles and we got his name to complain!!! Am now on a later train so am going to be late for work!!! Rubbish!!