UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October Rmf

merledogs

Griff : why have you been up all night? Nothing bad I hope :flowers:

I didn't manage to get back to sleep so am like this now :tired:

RMF : I have made toast three times this morning. First time I burned it, then I dropped one face down on the floor, third time I managed to do neither :rolleyes:

The only one I had caused me pain and distress not only while it was being done but for some months afterwards, and I have weighed up the risks against my concerns for damage done by further mammograms and am disinclined to have any more done. My GP at the time did see my point of view. I know that this kind of reaction is unusual and doubtless due to my particular shape and the fact that I have a strain from lifting someone, and I know the lives of some on here have been saved by screening. But it's my body and my choice. As for informing the technologist, the lady in my case was unfriendly to start off with and very scathing when I felt faint. She knew I was in pain and trying not to cry, and her attitude was totally unsympathetic. I was really afraid I was going to pass out and fall while trapped. If ever I have another one, it will need WRITTEN agreement by the technologist that the scan must be stopped if I ask. And I don't know what the practice is in hospital clinics, but in the mobile unit you are told to go into a cubicle and remove all clothing above the waist and put it into a paper bag ... and then expected to sit half naked with other women next to a door which opens straight on to a public car park with people passing close by. WTF?? I got shouted at in front of everyone for taking my shirt out of the bag and covering myself with it. I don't mind uncovering for medical personnel, but how does it benefit my health to be seen half naked by a bunch of unfamiliar women plus anybody walking past the door at the moment when someone goes in or out? The whole attitude is "you have to have this scan for your own good or risk your life, therefore we can treat you like rubbish and abuse and humiliate you". I expect some people on here will be cross with me for speaking like this, but we should not have to put up with this treatment. A bit of respect costs nothing to the NHS budget. Rant over!

Bloody hell, I'd have walked out (and written a bunch of scathing letters of complaint.) That is seriously not on.

I'm actually OK with random people seeing my body, but for a lot of people that would be a complete nightmare - and for many people it's a major cultural taboo. And not being allowed to terminate the scan on demand? No way should anyone be treated like that, NHS or no NHS. :angry:

Well done Alex :flowers: :biggrin:

I couldn't sleep for ages either, didn't attempt toast but made some nice creamy porridge without daring to take my bleary eyes off it. Then I had a phone call from a recruitment agency saying they were impressed with my CV and had a job interview set up for me :unsure: :wacko: :ohmy: Yup, wrong number.

Through the kitchen window I watched blue tits, great tits and a merry gang of long-tailed tits, plus a wren :wub: Must set up feeding station as there will be plenty of customers. I had intended to be really tough on the rampaging privet here, but this has convinced me to leave plenty of cover as there are often kestrels floating about. So far I haven't explored the 2 large and rather decrepit sheds, but I bet the little birds are nesting in there. Perhaps I will venture into the tractor shed later and see what else it contains besides a manky old Ferguson with bits missing.

The site quoted by Lesley says this:

"Patients should feel firm pressure due to compression but no significant pain. Patients who feel pain should inform the technologist so that the breast may be repositioned."

The only one I had caused me pain and distress not only while it was being done but for some months afterwards, and I have weighed up the risks against my concerns for damage done by further mammograms and am disinclined to have any more done. My GP at the time did see my point of view. I know that this kind of reaction is unusual and doubtless due to my particular shape and the fact that I have a strain from lifting someone, and I know the lives of some on here have been saved by screening. But it's my body and my choice. As for informing the technologist, the lady in my case was unfriendly to start off with and very scathing when I felt faint. She knew I was in pain and trying not to cry, and her attitude was totally unsympathetic. I was really afraid I was going to pass out and fall while trapped. If ever I have another one, it will need WRITTEN agreement by the technologist that the scan must be stopped if I ask. And I don't know what the practice is in hospital clinics, but in the mobile unit you are told to go into a cubicle and remove all clothing above the waist and put it into a paper bag ... and then expected to sit half naked with other women next to a door which opens straight on to a public car park with people passing close by. WTF?? I got shouted at in front of everyone for taking my shirt out of the bag and covering myself with it. I don't mind uncovering for medical personnel, but how does it benefit my health to be seen half naked by a bunch of unfamiliar women plus anybody walking past the door at the moment when someone goes in or out? The whole attitude is "you have to have this scan for your own good or risk your life, therefore we can treat you like rubbish and abuse and humiliate you". I expect some people on here will be cross with me for speaking like this, but we should not have to put up with this treatment. A bit of respect costs nothing to the NHS budget. Rant over!

Thats awful,

As it was a mobile unit I assume they were just routine ones but even so any body there must be feeling anxiety. It was abuse of thier position to be so rude and intimidating.

At llanelli Oncology/Breast screening unit they were absolutely lovely. Very kind and understanding. Even the the 15 biopsy sites I didnt feel. The crunching noise was a little teeth clenching but the staff did everything they could to be helpful.

I think Owl you were just very unlucky to get a couple of old controlling bags on the day you went. Dont be put off going to the hospital if needed because not only may it save your life but also you will be pleasantly surprised at the dedication shown by them.

Its awesome.

I was lucky and although it was a mass it had been caused by a hoof kick that I had forgotten about. The hospital made arrangements to remove it but as its not going to do anything I havent bothered.

Congratulations Alex I admire your continuing dedication to improving your career line. I dont know if I could cope with all the brain stuff you do.

I have had several mammograms done at mobile units and all those concerned have been very considerate.

I was asked to remove my bra and put my top back on. while I waited. This was only removed for the actual procedure.

I have twice been called for further investigation and again the personnel couldn't have been nicer.

I was asked for permission for each stage of the procedures.

Being a large lady not a pleasant experience but bearable for peace of mind.

Well done Alex. :biggrin:

I think I've done my last assignment all wrong and wondering if I should continue as with everything else I've got on feel as though I'm going slowly mad.

Trying not to think of mammograms but probably won't be that long til I get a call up for one.

Wispa has been missing her playmates and told me she was bored with the lack of wrestling round here, so off we went to cruise round and check out the local talent. It wasn't long before we spotted 2 nice mature blokies with a staffy and a staffy x. We introduced ourselves and Wispa snogged all 4 of them but I was more restrained and limited myself to a friendly chat :laugh: They told us about lots of walks and footpaths, and when I said we like to track they said we have come to the right place as there are some real enthusiasts here. They also told me about a couple of other dogs who come to our local wood, who they thought Wispa would like. One is a GSP and the other is a ridgeback. She will be over the moon as all GSPs are greeted like long lost family and she is crazy about ridgebacks. She did enjoy running and playing with the staffies and is now feeling happier.