UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Positive Thoughts Please...

Laura_E

How sad that they should be going through this, instead of looking forward to the birth. :( My heart goes out to them.

I'll just add, though, that we also knew a young couple whose baby wasn't expected to survive the pregnancy, due to massive heart defects. They were told that even if she made it through the nine months and was born alive, she wouldn't live long. She did survive; she was born very frail and blue, but she clung on for months until she was old enough for the first of several operations. She is now almost five, a happy active little girl, and the light of her parents' lives. :wub:

I wish the same for your family. :GroupHug:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update on my sister.

She had to have an amniocentesis a couple of weeks ago (which she did really well with as she has a phobia of needles!). There were concerns that the baby could have either down syndrome or a chromosome abnormality and essentially be born brain dead, but the results came back today as 'normal'.

So now they are having consultations to see if anything can be done to address the heart defect. They have been told that if she goes ahead with the pregnancy the baby will have to go straight into theatre after birth for surgery. But we are all trying to stay positive at the moment given todays good news.

But now my nan is in a bad way in hospital, it never rains it pours!! I feel so sorry for my poor mum as she is constantly rushing around from hospital to hospital and is under so much stess at the moment. We should have more news regarding both of them on Wednesday, so I will keep this updated.

How sad that they should be going through this, instead of looking forward to the birth. :( My heart goes out to them.

I'll just add, though, that we also knew a young couple whose baby wasn't expected to survive the pregnancy, due to massive heart defects. They were told that even if she made it through the nine months and was born alive, she wouldn't live long. She did survive; she was born very frail and blue, but she clung on for months until she was old enough for the first of several operations. She is now almost five, a happy active little girl, and the light of her parents' lives. :wub:

I wish the same for your family. :GroupHug:

I know of a little boy who sounds very similar. He's about four now I think and I gather a little small for his age and he will have to have further surgery in future, but from what I have heard things sound so much better than they looked before he was born.

Laura, I really hope things work out similarly for your sister's baby :GroupHug:

Sending lots of continued good wishes to your sister and all the family, Laura. I hope as others have said that things work out for your sister and the baby :flowers:

So sorry to hear about your nan, too, what a worrying time for you all :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Thanks so much for the positive thoughts everyone. flowers.gif

I just got a text from my sister to say that the baby is a girl! They hadn't intended on finding out until the birth, but one of the nurses accidently let it slip earlier on! My sister is staying very positive and has started to look at baby names, but my brother-in-law is still very worried and trying not to get his hopes up at the moment. Hopefully they should know if the heart defect is something that can be operated on by Wednesday, so I've got everything crossed for them.

Is it your nan who is in the photo with Tess?

That's my Grandma in the picture with Tess, it's my Nan that is in hospital at the moment. She went in a couple of months ago as well but they didn't really seem to know what was wrong with her. I suspect that it could have something to do with the fact that she drinks half a bottle of whiskey every night, but if you dare say this to her she accuses you of denying her her own pleasure in life! rolleyes.gif

There's a girl in my OH's office who was wearing rather a low top the other week and she bent over near him, and he saw a scar on her chest. She noticed that he'd seen it, and told him (and everyone else that was listening) about the op she'd had as a very little baby for a heart defect that would have killed her if it was left. He said she's perfectly fine...doesn't seem to get any more illness than anyone else, and if he hadn't seen the scar he'd never have know. Tell your sister and brother in law to keep positive :GroupHug: