UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Have A Confession To Make, And You're Not Going To Like It, Sorry :-(

supafrisk

This is very difficult for me to admit and I've ummed and ahhed over the past six weeks as to whether to tell the truth or to just plod on regardless without saying.

A few of you know that we were looking for a sister for Willow, infact, just over a year ago I was due to adopt a 10 month old whippet bitch puppy. After HLGS chatted for over an hour to the woman putting her up for adoption and me constantly ringing poor Sam it fell through on the day I was due to collect her.

The woman decided she no longer wanted to part from her. (the woman breeds pedigree whippets but takes on and fosters rescue whippets)

It was very upsetting at the time as we had emailed each other the night before and first thing that morning so I was pretty stunned/upset/gutted to receive a text saying she couldn't let me have her and to check my emails. When I did there was an email waiting telling me she had become part of the family.

Although it put me off I still thought eventually we would get another dog.

For years I had wanted a particular breed (yes ok maybe that's selfish and I should have been looking at a rescue dog).

I honestly never thought I would be in a position to have one, until recently. Mark and I discussed it on a weekly basis almost, and Mark sais he was happy as long as it didn't grow any bigger than Willow :rolleyes: (Damn, that ruled out a Wolfhound :D I'm definitely kidding now BTW)

So, I did my research. Then I talked to breeders. And discussed getting a rescue (apparently the chances of one coming into rescue are slim to non existent, as most breeders insist the dog returns to them in the event of a change in circumstances.

It was hard work as I felt pretty much like it was a closed shop, I could chat all I liked to them about what best to feed them, exercise, illnesses and ailments the breed were susceptible to but as soon as I enquired whether there were any older pups or adults that had been run on for showing and hadn't been deemed good enough for breeding or showing and were looking for a pet only home, the breeders clammed up completely.

It was like talking to a brick wall.

I then tried the Kennel Club and managed to get the numbers of three breeders. After discussion with one in particular over a week I agreed to go up to Chesterfield to look at a bitch puppy she was originally keeping back but had decided to find a home for.

I fell in love the moment I saw her.

Mark, surprisingly was smitten within 24 hours as well.

She sleeps on his lap :ohmy: round his neck, is allowed to wash his ears (and anyone who knows Mark will know what a huge milestone that is), before we got her he had never taken Willow out on a lead, it was always me and Will. Now he and Ellie take both dogs and he walks Will and she walks the pup.

Don't get me wrong, Mark was never anti-Will, he just was never brought up with pets and had never learnt to interact with them. He would always put food down for Will, let him out in the garden etc but would never make a fuss of him. Now he makes a fuss of them both :wub:

I know a lot of you will say "Oh my God, it's not a rescue" but if I could have got one from rescue I would have and I know a lot of you will view me differently as a result of what I've done but I'm glad I've done it and I've tried to turn Mark into an out and out dog lover for years and she did it in 24 hours and to me that's worth more than anything.

In case you were wondering, here's a pic of Lottie Pickle :wub:

LottiePickle.jpg

(This is a picture the breeder sent me, hence no Willow, I will get round to uploading all the others later as there are lots of both of them snuggling :wub: )

Just in case you got the wrong end of the stick, she's NOT a whippet :bigtongpul:

There, I've said it.

Edited by supafrisk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's lovely :wub:

You've wanted a particlar breed which is fair enogh and tried hard to go down the rescue route which hasn't worked out - what's to worry about!

Lottie will have a lovely home with yo I'm sure

But please let us in on the secret of what breed she is!!!

:wub: oooo I am smitten. I am not anti breeder as long as they do it poperly and altho I am a rescue I am not of the opinion that everybody has to have a rescue dog. If people want to buy a particular breed then that is their own choice and nobody elses business. Well done..............again I will ask,what is she?its so hard to tell when they are pups. x

All puppies need good homes, no matter where they come from. I applaud you at your honesty not many people would be so honest, in case others didn't like what they had done.

Welcome to your new home Lottie, I'm sure you will be very happy :wub:

She is very sweet. :wub: There are many folk here who don't have all rescues. Myself included. It's great to hear that you have struggled to get one because the breeders are strict and insist they are returned to them. That's how it should be. Then there would be no need for rescue and a lot of us twiddling our thumbs.

You done your research, you just didn't go to anyone but found a good breeder, we need good breeders, without them all we would have is dogs from puppy farms and byb.

Stop feeling guilty, you have the dog that suits you and fits into your family.

Welcome home Lottie, you are adorable :wub:

You done your research, you just didn't go to anyone but found a good breeder, we need good breeders, without them all we would have is dogs from puppy farms and byb.

My sentiments exactly :flowers: Welcome home georgous Lottie :wub: And come on then stop keeping us in suspense and let us know what breed she is :rolleyes:

Agree 100%. Lottie is adorable and she will grow up in a home where she knows love and devotion - what more could any dog ask for.I too want a breed that doesn't come up in rescue often,I will have that breed one day and like you will choose where s/he comes from very very carefully.

I agree :flowers:

I thought she might be a Basenji.x :rolleyes:

I was thinking Basenji too!

She's lovely whatever she is. Welcome home Lottie :wub: