UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Have A Confession To Make, And You're Not Going To Like It, Sorry :-(

supafrisk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening all.... ooo memories of Dixon Of Dock green there :laugh:

Seems to me that theres a few tensions coming out here, lets see if we can diffuse them shall we?

The Refuge is and always will be an an animal WELFARE forum, it's not now, never has been and never will be solely a rescue forum - we've been pretty clear about that from day one. The Refuge promotes rescue of course and we would always encourage people to adopt a rescue dog, HOWEVER we also recognise that people will not always go down the rescue route and thus we try very hard to educate and inform people about the things they should be aware of when buying a dog or going to a breeder.

I am WELL aware of the fact that one or two people with bought pups have decided not to post here any more, that is entirely their decision and choice, but I reject TOTALLY that they have been "forced" off this forum or made to feel that they and their dogs were not welcome here - in fact I find that a bit of a cheek to be quite honest, it is utterly unrealistic and grossly unfair for anyone who does go to a breeder or buys a pup from another non rescue source to expect or demand that everyone has to be happy or approving of what they have chosen to do. We are perfectly clear that what you post here you take responsibility for, and don't expect to always hear/read what you want to hear/read, so in any thread there could well be many people who coo and ahh and support you, but those who feel differently have just as much right to state their opinion provided that they remain within the forum rules. By the same token those who have chosen to go to a breeder or not choose the rescue route have just as much right to post here, talk about their dogs here, post pics and all the other things that we all do here and to do so without being attacked or made to feel like a second class member.

Hopefully that clears things up :flowers:

I remember how a person on here got quartered in a long thread over buying a pup in a pet shop.

Buying from a pet shop is a rather different kettle of fish to buying from a good breeder though surely?

All my pets are rescues, and I don't expect ever to buy a dog, but I'm not knocking people who decide differently, particularly if they've looked at rescue and not found what they wanted, and are keeping well clear of puppy farms.

Seems to me there are enough people out there who are directly responsible for creating sick, illtreated and unwanted dogs without divisions between people who are not responsible for that and want to do their best for dogs.

An Italian greyhound breeder is not responsible for the dog overproduction of the racing greyhound industry, and is not even producing a similar type of dog. I really can't imagine that someone who wants a 4kg Iggie is really going to be open to adopting a 30kg greyhound instead, and I don't think one can reasonably insist that people adopt a type of dog they don't actually want just because there are lots of them about. :unsure:

Congrats Emma, :flowers:

sorry I missed this thread to welcome your new addition as Snoopy has been poorly. I am not going to debate on your homecoming thread. I have bought dogs in the past and also bred Korky and had her back. :wub:

I have never had a problem with responsible breeders.

Each to their own.

Kazz xx

Buying from a pet shop is a rather different kettle of fish to buying from a good breeder though surely?

Is it really? After all the petshop bought dog "takes" as much room (i.e. an unwanted dog dies in its stead)as a breeder bought one according to some posts here.

And before you all get the wrong idea, I do not judge, neither the person who bought the pup in a petshop nor the one who went to a breeder or a rescue.

OK fair warning - this threads gone WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY off topic, if you want to discuss the pros & cons of buying vs rescue feel free - but do it in contro where its appropriate.

Continue in here and those posts will go *poof*

Is it really? After all the petshop bought dog "takes" as much room (i.e. an unwanted dog dies in its stead)as a breeder bought one according to some posts here.

Yeah, but that argument does assume that 100 dogs (of any size, age and shape) and 100 homes = 100 dogs homed, which well, just doesn't compute once you start looking at the individuals rather than the numbers. I'd be as 'guilty' as any by that logic, if all the dogs in rescue were JRTs, I'd probably not have a dog (no offence JRT people, they just aren't my kind of dog).

Once you start looking at that, you get into the unanswerable questions like should I buy a new car when I could save a dog instead : answer well, maybe, but nobody is responsible for all the woes of the world, and why not sell the car and donate the money to starving orphans etc.

Sorry, this has got very OT...

Not a common breed, but a nice one! We have had the pleasure of looking after one over Christmas and New Year about 4 years ago. It belongs to a friend of my son, she is Japanese, and my son volunteered to look after him whilst she flew back home to see her parents. He used to sit on the sofa with the children, particularly my youngest who was about 8 at the time.

He could run really fast, and when we let him off the lead in the garden, he used to run and amaze the gsds with his speed and ease of turn. I was panicking as at the time the garden was full of activity toys (from when we had the toy shop). Anyway we kept him safe until it was time to go back to London with my son. He was called Asu (one of the two ways of saying tomorrow in Japanese). I have just looked that up, as we used to call him Kaishow! I think it was prononced Ayshow?

His owner was very affected by the allergens in our house from the dogs, cats and birds, and she had chosen that breed I presume to try and help with that. It was embarrassing she was always on anti-histamines here!

There are thousands and thousands of sighthounds in rescue and many never get the chance of a home at all, as you well know. I think it is a very sad choice for someone who knows all this and chooses to ignore it because they want.

What happened to people getting rescue dogs on this site?

Not everyone wants a sighthound, I have a Greyhound, JRT/Whippet and a Greyhound/GSD but I wouldn't go looking for a sighthound, if I was looking it would be for a stroppy terrier.

If someone sees and dog and wants it, what is wrong with that? 5 of my dogs came here without me knowing what they were like, I had only see photos of them but that was my choice.

It is not anyone's fault on here that there are so many dogs in rescue, in fact most if not all have at least 1 rescue dog, quite a few like me have several but we should also have the choice to get a dog from were we want to and not have to go to a certain place. There is more to getting a dog than from were to get it. The dog has to fit in with the owner, their family and lifestyle. Also the owner's experience with dogs had to be taken into account, if they feel happier getting a dog from a breeder or pet shop then so be it, they may not have the experience to take on a rescue dog yet, but after a year or 2 may feel able to take one on.