UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Growing Veg In Pots On The Patio

houndzrus

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like cuckoo spit. It's the stuff that some little insect (froghoppers?) generates to protect itself.

Thank you both - it is indeed that - they are on my lavender bush...they can go with the slugs and snails...grrrrr....I'm beginning to think that ALL the plants in the garden are for the enjoyment of the wildlife not me!!!

Well I now have a cabbage patch box, with cabbage, cauliflower and broccolli in. My growing bags from ebay came today and I've planted one with lettuce, Italian mix lettuce seeds and spring onions. I have left room for sowing every couple of weeks. I have two more bags to fill over the next few days. so far so good. :unsure: It's a bit addictive, my back aches, my shoulders and fingers hurt but I'm still keen to do some more :biggrin:

Sounds fab Marge

Today I bought some courgette, herb and French bean plants. I'm going to try growing the beans up the railings. Hopefully I can grab some tme to plant them out Friday, otherwise they'll have to wait until next Wednesday :rolleyes:

Today I bought some courgette, herb and French bean plants. I'm going to try growing the beans up the railings. Hopefully I can grab some tme to plant them out Friday, otherwise they'll have to wait until next Wednesday :rolleyes:

I bet the beans will look good climbing up the railings. :biggrin:

The beetroot seedlings are up and the speedy italian mixed leaf seeds, planted Wednesday evening, were poking through on Saturday evening. I am impressed. I did find a HUGE snail in my biggest bag though, lord only knows why it chose the largest bag to climb, there are plenty of less challenging bags/boxes out there :rolleyes:

4 of my runner bean plants are doing really well, but the 2 on the end are all yellow and sickly. I assume there must be something odd in the soil underneath them, it's puzzling.

My peas are in bloom! Haven't grown peas since I was about 14!

Hi I have loads of veg in pots will post pics later. This is only my second attempt at veg growing so am not clued up on what I can/ can't do!

Can anyone tell me why some of the leaves on my courgettes/ cucumbers are going yellow?

Also I went to pick all my salad stuff for my lunch and all the lettuce have little aphids or something at the back of them. I hate insects so was just grossed out at eating the veg! I know I can spray stuff but have to be careful as my cat goes along and bites all my veggie plants!!

Any suggestions? Thanks :flowers:

Hi I have loads of veg in pots will post pics later. This is only my second attempt at veg growing so am not clued up on what I can/ can't do!

Can anyone tell me why some of the leaves on my courgettes/ cucumbers are going yellow?

Also I went to pick all my salad stuff for my lunch and all the lettuce have little aphids or something at the back of them. I hate insects so was just grossed out at eating the veg! I know I can spray stuff but have to be careful as my cat goes along and bites all my veggie plants!!

Any suggestions? Thanks :flowers:

Are you watering your courgettes from above? If you are, dont! Stand them in some water if in tubs for about 10 mins, then take out and allow to drain. If in the ground, put the water around the base of the plants avoiding the leaves

Also you could try spraying with a milk/water mixture 1pt milk to 9 parts water apparently :)

It's quite effective to just water the greenfly off with a hose. They are quite feeble things, just being knocked onto the ground can see them off.

Monty Don says "dill, fennel, loveage, cow parsley, carrot, celery, parsnip and parsley all left to flower will provide sufficient inducement for aphid-eaters... Although better than using a chemical insecticide because it is not residual and wears off very fast, I would only use a soap spray under very extreme circumstances, as it will also kill ladybirds and any other insects"