UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Growing Veg In Pots On The Patio

houndzrus

I know i've left it a bit late for this year, but I'm really interested in growing some veg on the patio, Potatoes, cabbage, carrots etc etc. This might be more achieveable for me than getting an allotment, just in case my enthusiasm wanes dramatically.

Does anyone do this? If so, where's a good place to buy planters, and what do I fill them with to make the veg grow well? Any assistance/info gratefully received. :flowers:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done in the past, but to be honest, I found it quite a lot of work for not much return with all the watering you have to do in pots. Stuff planted in the ground tends to be more tolerant of a missed watering.

Suggest: radishes, if you like them: they grow incredibly quickly so you can harvest before you get bored! Potatoes - you can do these in compost bags rather than actual pots, and give a good return.

Strawberries: expensive to buy, relatively easy in pots so worth the effort, and look pretty too. Don't get the terracotta strawberry pots with holes in the sides though, they are impossibly difficult to keep watered properly. Normal pots much easier: get either plastic or glazed ones: the unglazed terracotta dry out too quickly. There are quite a lot of varieties now, so if you get a mix of types, you can get berries for a long period.

Oh, herbs, if you use them. I use a lot of basil and it's a lot cheaper to grow from seed (though slugs like it too). Thymes are handy, I find,they love pots. If you like blueberries, try one of the smaller blueberry varieties in a large pot, blueberries are expensive to buy and surprisingly easy to grow.

If I'm buying in compost, I usually go for New Horizons peat free, that's well reviewed and always does well for me, or this year I'm using a new Westland peatfree made of shredded wood, it looks a bit odd but so far the plants* are growing really well in it, specially a spare strawb that I potted up because it was one too many for my strawb bed. For blueberries you'll need a more acidic compost though: a lot of the peatfree ones are too alkaline for blueberries.

*admittedly most of mine are decorative rather than edible because of the whole 'takes a lot of effort, not a lot of results' thing.

Oooh, if you like peppers, there are several that will grow really well in pots on a warm windowsill. I did that once and had so many peppers I didn't want to eat them for about 3 years after the Year of the Peppers.

Edited by cycas

Ooh me! Not got time now, so will reply properly later, but I currently have cabbages in growbags, doing fantastically well (I don't do nuffink to them except water when they're dry), potatoes & carrots in veg sacks, and tomatoes. Got some seedlings (chillis, peppers, brocoli) but they are still tiny.

Back later with details :flowers:

Thank you both :flowers: Cycas, i will need some quick growing veg too, just to keep me interested! Like the idea of peppers too. i did see some canvas type bags for growing strawberries or herbs today, but didn't know whether they would be any good or not.

I have lots of ideas now, and will await your return Abby :biggrin:

I grow courgettes and cucumbers in growbags - you can probably get plants from your local garden centre rather than sowing seeds now. Beans can also be good but are a bit of a gamble - french beans need a hot summer and runner beans a cooler one. Also tomatoes in pots are very rewarding, again you can buy plants and you could maybe have a cherry tomato and an ordinary tomato?

I have a trough planter with my strawberry plants, the joy of strawberries is they spread (so make sure they are contained) and come back year after year, so in my mind 99p per plant is good value.

I also have tomatoes in pots, beef tomatoes this year. I was going to plant more but because I'll be away a lot of the summer there doesn't seem much point, our neighbour who feeds and looks after the cats will do the watering while we're away, otherwise OH will do it while I'm away.

I've grown carrots and baby beetroot in tubs on the patio before now. My dad got me some half barrels and they worked well as they were deep enough and had fairly straight sides, so plenty of room. I've also grown trailing cherry tomatoes in baskets attached to a sunny wall. They were just cheap, plastic containers, like a half basket but again, the plants grew well and I got lots of tomatoes :flowers:

Ooh me! Not got time now, so will reply properly later, but I currently have cabbages in growbags, doing fantastically well (I don't do nuffink to them except water when they're dry), potatoes & carrots in veg sacks, and tomatoes. Got some seedlings (chillis, peppers, brocoli) but they are still tiny.

Back later with details :flowers:

Marge, you can look in the gardening thread. :wink:

You can grow potatoes in a dustbin or rubble sack too. They like height I believe. Start them off shallowish then keep adding soil as they grow to get more spuds growing. :biggrin:

We cheated and bought veggie seedlings from the garden centre and planted them. They are coming on a treat in this weathher. I did plant carrot seeds in a propagator thingy which I need to go and plant out, and lovely Kazz gave me some pea seedlings today too which I shall plant by the trellis fencing. :biggrin:

I grow courgettes and cucumbers in growbags - you can probably get plants from your local garden centre rather than sowing seeds now. Beans can also be good but are a bit of a gamble - french beans need a hot summer and runner beans a cooler one. Also tomatoes in pots are very rewarding, again you can buy plants and you could maybe have a cherry tomato and an ordinary tomato?

Thanks, buying plants seems a good idea, and no waiting for seeds to grow! :rolleyes:

I have a trough planter with my strawberry plants, the joy of strawberries is they spread (so make sure they are contained) and come back year after year, so in my mind 99p per plant is good value.

I also have tomatoes in pots, beef tomatoes this year. I was going to plant more but because I'll be away a lot of the summer there doesn't seem much point, our neighbour who feeds and looks after the cats will do the watering while we're away, otherwise OH will do it while I'm away.

Strawberries sound good too :)

I've grown carrots and baby beetroot in tubs on the patio before now. My dad got me some half barrels and they worked well as they were deep enough and had fairly straight sides, so plenty of room. I've also grown trailing cherry tomatoes in baskets attached to a sunny wall. They were just cheap, plastic containers, like a half basket but again, the plants grew well and I got lots of tomatoes :flowers:

i love fresh carrots and cherry tomatoes :)

Marge, you can look in the gardening thread. :wink:

You can grow potatoes in a dustbin or rubble sack too. They like height I believe. Start them off shallowish then keep adding soil as they grow to get more spuds growing. :biggrin:

We cheated and bought veggie seedlings from the garden centre and planted them. They are coming on a treat in this weathher. I did plant carrot seeds in a propagator thingy which I need to go and plant out, and lovely Kazz gave me some pea seedlings today too which I shall plant by the trellis fencing. :biggrin:

Mmm, really must grow some potatoes, will be a late variety now though :)

If you have a Lidl nearby they are having tomato, strawberry and other veg plants from Thursday website

Thanks, we have two here, I'll have a look on Thursday.

Thanks for the ideas on containers too :flowers:

Marge, I got about five packets of seeds from the BBC offer, but since the hens arrived and laid waste to my garden I haven't a hope of growing them :rolleyes:

If you want them, PM me your address and I will post off. I will go hunt them out and see what they are - radishes, squash and some other stuff spring to mind.

Marge, I got about five packets of seeds from the BBC offer, but since the hens arrived and laid waste to my garden I haven't a hope of growing them :rolleyes:

If you want them, PM me your address and I will post off. I will go hunt them out and see what they are - radishes, squash and some other stuff spring to mind.

Thank you, that's fab :flowers:

Just tried to PM, but your inbox is full :unsure: