UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Growing Veg In Pots On The Patio

houndzrus

I use tractor tyres filled with manure. Tyres are free so its a cheap way of getting a planter going and two stacked up is great for carrots or potatoes. also squashes. Most livery yards will let you have as much muck as you want.

Potato peelings put in layers and then covered will produce potatoes because its the eyes that grow.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use tractor tyres filled with manure. Tyres are free so its a cheap way of getting a planter going and two stacked up is great for carrots or potatoes. also squashes. Most livery yards will let you have as much muck as you want.

Potato peelings put in layers and then covered will produce potatoes because its the eyes that grow.

That's a great idea, but unfortunately Tyres wouldn't fit in mt little garden :flowers:

That's a great idea, but unfortunately Tyres wouldn't fit in mt little garden :flowers:

There is some debate about whether growing stuff to eat in tyres is a good idea anyway, because of what they are made of and what could be leaching out of them. It's a nice form of recycling though.

There is some debate about whether growing stuff to eat in tyres is a good idea anyway, because of what they are made of and what could be leaching out of them. It's a nice form of recycling though.

Ahh !

Well when I glow in the dark ..................... :unsure:

Toilet cisterns are good too. They give you a little row of white China planters that are deep. Great for carrots !

I am growing potatoes in big bags, the short carrots in a lined bread basket, tumbling tomatoes in hanging baskets, courgettes and blueberries in large pots. Strawberries in grow bags

Last year I had a fair crop and am hoping for one this year as well

Barbara

I am growing potatoes in big bags, the short carrots in a lined bread basket, tumbling tomatoes in hanging baskets, courgettes and blueberries in large pots. Strawberries in grow bags

Barbara

Are Blueberries easy to grow ?

Blueberries are easy, you need two for cross pollination.

I have to use ericatios ( not sure of spelling) compost because my soil is too chalky. They are in large pots and have been for about 5 years. I still have a load in my freezer from last year as there was so many berries. I just put a little more compost on them each spring. It looks good for this year as well as there are a lot of flowers on them

Barbara

i grown runner beans before with the little plants that my kids bring home from school. for someone whos not green fingered i was surprised they all grew every year

Lovely :biggrin:

Toilet cisterns are good too. They give you a little row of white China planters that are deep. Great for carrots !

Stangely enough, i had a toilt cistern for a planter for years before it got broken. Only grew flowers in it though. :flowers:

Barbara

Mmm, sounds good.

I think I have decided what i want to grow now.

Potatoes

Cherry tomatoes

peppers

Perhaps one normal tomato plant

salad crops

strawbwerries

Carrots

That's enough to keep me occupied for a while.

Thanks for all your suggestions. :flowers:

I used to grow all sorts of veg in pots, buckets, water butts and growbags and fairly successfully :biggrin:

And then we adopted a lurcher pup :rolleyes:

The only food that I have now is my strawberry plant, but Bear used to nick the fruit off of it and now Bran does :glare:

:rolleyes: :laugh: I'm hoping mine will be safe from the hounds :unsure:

I bought some specific veg & potato compost from a normal gardening centre, but use it half and half with normal compost for my potatoes and carrots (which I grow in little plastic sacks which I bought - I won't buy anymore though cos I'll just use compost bags cut open at the top and rolled down a bit).

I'm getting some beetroot seeds this week which I'll just sow straight into a growbag. I have to say my veg is coming on lovely without very much effort at all. I check the cabbage regularly for the dratted cabbage white eggs, and of course being Wales we don't exactly get drought conditions very often so watering is not onerous.

I have got some veg boxes which I've painted with preservative and they will be my salad planters, when I get round to sowing some seeds!

my uncle grows spuds in old tyres

he gets 4 old worn out ones from from the local tyre place

stacks them up and bolts them together, puts some lining at the bottom and fills

it up with soil/compost etc

that way they can crop without spreading over his garden

am thinking of doing the same

my uncle grows spuds in old tyres

he gets 4 old worn out ones from from the local tyre place

stacks them up and bolts them together, puts some lining at the bottom and fills

it up with soil/compost etc

that way they can crop without spreading over his garden

am thinking of doing the same

Thats what I do only with Tractor tyres.

Its a great year for wild garlic if anyone likes it. Ive already dug some up from the cows supply and chopped it into some olive oil. That way we have wonderful aromatic garlic oil for cooking and drizzling across bread in the oven.

There seems to be loads of garlic growing at the sides of roads every where.

Wild garlic is a great thing, you can cook it like spinach, put it on pizza or mix it in with bread while it is baking to create pre-garlicked garlic bread! I've had mine about 5 years now and its spread loads. Does need a fairly shady spot though.

I know some people line the inside of tyres to reduce the problem of tyre 'stuff' leaching into the compost. Not sure what they use though as I've never used tyres.

Wild garlic is a great thing, you can cook it like spinach, put it on pizza or mix it in with bread while it is baking to create pre-garlicked garlic bread! I've had mine about 5 years now and its spread loads. Does need a fairly shady spot though.

I know some people line the inside of tyres to reduce the problem of tyre 'stuff' leaching into the compost. Not sure what they use though as I've never used tyres.

I have never seen or eaten wild garlic. Is it similar to 'normal' garlic?