UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Growing Veg In Pots On The Patio

houndzrus

Here goes, at Andrea's request, progress so far. :unsure:

One of the nursery beds

From right to left, beetroot, salad leaves, lettuce. At the bottom, spring onions (v. tiny!)

DSCF2509.jpg

the cabbage patch.

left to right

teeny greyhound cabbage seedlings, brocolli seedlings, cauliflower and cabbage.

DSCF2505.jpg

My leeks

DSCF2508.jpg

From left to right

Mange tout, runner beans. second row, carrots then some beetroot seedlings ready to plant on somewhere else.

DSCF2507.jpg

We don't use this bench, so thought it made a good grow bag stand. Mixed lettuce (not so much now as we've eaten a lot of it for the last few days!) and carrots. (Little round ones)

DSCF2504.jpg

The indoor crop. Cucumber, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, couple of sweet peppers and a chilli pepper. The other pots have various seeds in.

indoorveg.jpg

and finally, my strawberry tower

DSCF2506.jpg

I have some planting on to do, but not until I return from my hols. :biggrin:

Edited by houndzrus

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flippin eck Mrs! You have been busy! Very impressed with you growbag stand (bench) :laugh: That would all be up ended by now if my two got anywhere near. Ours is well and truly fenced off from the dogs. :rolleyes: I will have to get some new pics. Ours are coming along really well now. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally taken photos of my veg. This is only my second attempt at growing veg, so any tips are welcome please!

#1 mini stand. Courgettes/ lettuce/ cucumber/parsely/ tomatoes/ various herbs

367601306.jpg

Courgettes

367601380.jpg

Can anyone tell me why this courgette plant has those marks on the leaves?

367601375.jpg

Broccoli/ spring onions/ lettuce/ spinach

The one broccoli leaf is being eaten by something and is wilting on the edges?!

367601368.jpg

Two tubs of spuds

367601362.jpg

#2 mini stand - additions of all of the above

367601347.jpg

Tomatoes & Salad

367601311.jpg

Green Beans - trying to give them a chance to sprout in the garage before Maya cat devours them. This is the 3rd batch I have had to grow because she keeps eating the tops off them or pulling them out! Once a bit taller I will grow them appropriately.

367601328.jpg

When we grew courgettes year before last they took over the whole veg patch. They do long long and trailing. You might want to find a space to put them where you can put up some kind of support for them to grow up. :biggrin: Your veggies look like they are coming on really well :biggrin: Not sure about the markings on the courgette plant? I'm sure someone will know. :flowers:

I've finally taken photos of my veg. This is only my second attempt at growing veg, so any tips are welcome please!

They're looking great! :biggrin:

When we grew courgettes year before last they took over the whole veg patch. They do long long and trailing. You might want to find a space to put them where you can put up some kind of support for them to grow up.

Thanks for that, I was thinking of growing some but I don't have the space for things to ramble. :flowers:

Well, what a difference three weeks (from my last picture) makes! I fed my plants before going on hols 10 days ago and when I came back they'd gone from this

DSCF2505-1.jpg

To this :ohmy: :laugh:

cabbages.jpg

I think I will be eating lots of cabbage this week :unsure:

Wow what a difference a few weeks make!

I was rearranging the pots yesterday and came across one courgette plant where all the little courgettes were withering up! I turned the pot around and found a giant courgette I had missed!!!!! It is the size of my forearm.

Here it is compared to a 20pence. I need courgette receipes now!

368399295.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was clearing and sowing again this week, so thought it was about time I updated here.

Summer salad crop has been replaced today by the winter crop of potatoes and one last planting of salad leaves. I have many more bags planted with potatoes, all scattered round the garden.

wintercrop.jpg

My little globe carrots picked this morning

globecarrots.jpg

My peppers. My tomato plants didn't survive. My cucumber plants are thriving though.

peppers.jpg

The butterflies ate all my cabbages, broccoli and caulis, so I bought this net to stop them. It works a treat. Pictured are my growing bags planted with various things, beetroot, spring onions, lettuce runner beans etc. I ran out of bags this morning so planted some parsnips in the Tesco bag! I love to experiment.

bagsandnet.jpg

I removed the last of my carrots and mange tout today and left the runner beans. There were a few ready for dinner too.

beans.jpg

My lovely leeks and the gardening stool I bought yesterday for a bargainous £3.00! Also pictured is our little succulent garden. (I planted swede seeds in the bag next to the leeks.)

leeks.jpg

I have enough here to keep my interest and I now have a better idea of things to plant next year.

Marge, sounds like your doing really well. :biggrin: We too have been plagued with bloomin caterpillars so the brocolli havent done too well after the initial heads were removed. Also the little blighters have been at my sweet peas too. Marge where did you get that netting from please? That sounds like a good idea. On the plus side, must have seen about 10 butterflies in my garden this weekend.

I am still waiting for my carrots and onions, they should be ready in a week or two. The various salad things have now started to flower so I am going to take them out and replant some others. The tomatoes havent done to well either. Wonder if its because of the amount of rain we have had?

Anyone know what I can plant now for the autumn?

I got the netting from the same place as the bags,

HERE

The netting came in one piece and i just cut it up. I may need some more, but might just manage for this year. They are open to doing a bit of a deal on things if you want anything else, always worth emailing, very friendly. :flowers:

I planted some swede and parsnips and winter cabbage. Also last bit of salad stuff. Don't know if any of it will be ok, but no harm in trying.