UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Growing Veg In Pots On The Patio

houndzrus

I bought some specific veg & potato compost from a normal gardening centre, but use it half and half with normal compost for my potatoes and carrots (which I grow in little plastic sacks which I bought - I won't buy anymore though cos I'll just use compost bags cut open at the top and rolled down a bit).

I'm getting some beetroot seeds this week which I'll just sow straight into a growbag. I have to say my veg is coming on lovely without very much effort at all. I check the cabbage regularly for the dratted cabbage white eggs, and of course being Wales we don't exactly get drought conditions very often so watering is not onerous.

I have got some veg boxes which I've painted with preservative and they will be my salad planters, when I get round to sowing some seeds!

Sounds like you're well on your way to some lovely veggies. :flowers:

Its a great year for wild garlic if anyone likes it. Ive already dug some up from the cows supply and chopped it into some olive oil. That way we have wonderful aromatic garlic oil for cooking and drizzling across bread in the oven.

There seems to be loads of garlic growing at the sides of roads every where.

I wouldn't know what wild garlic looks like :blush: But garlic oil sounds delicious :biggrin:

Wild garlic is a great thing, you can cook it like spinach, put it on pizza or mix it in with bread while it is baking to create pre-garlicked garlic bread! I've had mine about 5 years now and its spread loads. Does need a fairly shady spot though.

I know some people line the inside of tyres to reduce the problem of tyre 'stuff' leaching into the compost. Not sure what they use though as I've never used tyres.

I like the idea of growing things in tyres, just can't do it here :flowers:

I've been very inspired by your replies, and can't wait for the weekend to get started on my little venture :biggrin:

Edited by houndzrus

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lots of wild garlic on my rubbley plot out t'back. Will go nab some tomorrow for lovely garlicky oil :flowers:

Have fun with your veg Marge - I only have a little roof terrace but have been amazed at what you can stuff in :cool:

might have to go and look that up then as I love garlic! :biggrin:

Andrea, I have tonnes of the stuff in my back yard. I'll happily dig up a couple of plants and send them to you :wink: You never know, they might make it.

Abby, thats very kind of you, if you think it might survive. Is it quite hardy stuff?

Yes, it does well as long as you don't plant it somewhere really dry and sunny. I got mine in an internet plant swap originally.

Sounds like we have a plan :wink: pm me your addy Andrea and I'll sort it out. Don't hold your breath, migh tbe next week now as I'm a weeny ickle bit forgetful about stuff like this....feel free to remind me if it hasn't arrived by end of next week :rolleyes:

Ooh and I bought the most wonderful book all about growing edibles in containers - perfect for me. It s very well written and has inspired me to try creating the Welsh edible version of the hanging gardens of Babylon! Even better the book was going cheap up at CAT :smug-1:

The Edible Container Garden by Michael Guerra

I've got lots of veg in and got most of my seeds from the £1 shop. They had packets containing 6 different veg suitable for containers for £1. Think it was lettuce, peas, carrots, tomatoes and courgettes and possibly beetroot. All have germinated and we've been eating the salad already.

AnnS

Ooh and I bought the most wonderful book all about growing edibles in containers - perfect for me. It s very well written and has inspired me to try creating the Welsh edible version of the hanging gardens of Babylon! Even better the book was going cheap up at CAT :smug-1:

The Edible Container Garden by Michael Guerra

that looks good. :flowers:

I've got lots of veg in and got most of my seeds from the £1 shop. They had packets containing 6 different veg suitable for containers for £1. Think it was lettuce, peas, carrots, tomatoes and courgettes and possibly beetroot. All have germinated and we've been eating the salad already.

AnnS

Brilliant :flowers:

I am a bit :pinkie: and a bit :huh: Some friends have given me some plants and I have also bought some , but I think I "may" have got a bit carried away. Couldn't find cheapo pots so will just use grow bags for now. Plants don't know the difference anyway :rolleyes: I think I will be very busy this weekend :biggrin:

Morrisons the supermarket sells their flower buckets, the large black, almost pail size ones, at 8 for 99p. In our local one they are under the flower display on the floor. Think Asda do as well, you can always ask. These are fine for most things.

AnnS

Morrisons the supermarket sells their flower buckets, the large black, almost pail size ones, at 8 for 99p. In our local one they are under the flower display on the floor. Think Asda do as well, you can always ask. These are fine for most things.

AnnS

Thank you :flowers:

I have made a start tonight, and potted up tomatoes, peppers, and Strawberries. I put some veg in a growbag, but it's very difficult to water, so they're not staying in it. I have ordered some veg growing bags from Ebay and Keith has brought home a big plastic container (4ft x 2ft and 16ins high.) I am keeping that to plant spuds in.

First day back in my normal office since i've had the car back to find that my seeds have arrived. Thank you very much JuleB :flowers: I will plant some of them this weekend.

Edited by houndzrus