UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal Not Well

BillyMalc

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: Billy

Try milk thistle - it's very good for the liver and little and often feeds might work better if he's not up to a full meal at a time. With Barney it was low protein and low fat for his liver - so chicken, cottage cheese, brown rice, veg etc. and make his food smelly and tasty. I can remember someone saying warming food slightly made it more appetising.

Sending love and strength to you and Mal :GroupHug:

Will go and shop for the milk thistle tomorrow, thanks! He does get warm food with brown rice and veg, and this dog food stuff don't half stink - but if that's what makes him eat then he'll have it. The problem is, he doesn't really eat :(

Billy - what about adding stuff to his water to make it a bit more appealing? :unsure: I know it's really too salty in normal circumstances, but sometimes when Bear was refusing to drink I'd add a bit of a stock cube or something to his water and have it a bit warm. Flora doesn't drink much at the moment with being so inactive, but I give her water with honey added to it - do you think he'd drink that? :unsure:

He's licked a bit of manuka honey off my finger, but not all of it, and the "revitalise" stuff smelled like chicken stock, but he doesn't want to touch it. :(

Thing is, he was hovering in the kitchen after he'd eaten what he wanted, and I was wondering if he was still hungry, so I tried all sorts of different things, but he only sniffed them and then turned his head away :mecry:

when my lad was bad last year, he wouldn't eat or drink, i ended up having to give him rehydration sachets off the vet and i had to syringe them into him, i also ended up having to sit on the floor with his bowl and feed him by hand and sometimes off a spoon, like you i tried everything i could to get him to eat, in the end it was steroids that worked, hope Mal is soon feeling a bit better and eating and drinking a bit more for you too :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

when my lad was bad last year, he wouldn't eat or drink, i ended up having to give him rehydration sachets off the vet and i had to syringe them into him, i also ended up having to sit on the floor with his bowl and feed him by hand and sometimes off a spoon, like you i tried everything i could to get him to eat, in the end it was steroids that worked, hope Mal is soon feeling a bit better and eating and drinking a bit more for you too :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Billy, could you try getting some jars of organic baby food and watering them down a bit, ie making a kind of soup for Mal? When Poppy was really poorly and not wanting to eat but interested in food, I'd give her baby food and she would lick the gloop out of the jars. I used to add in some SA37 powder to try and get vitamins and minerals into her :wink: