UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal Not Well

BillyMalc

Mal's become more and more fussier lately with eating. First I thought it was typical "I'm old and I can get away with whatever I want" behaviour. Then he only ate half his dinner at dinner time and the other half after his night time walk. Then it got even harder to get that down him. I gave in and got him eggs and trays of chicken and rice and meat biscuits - which he loved at first, but this morning he didn't want breakfast anymore either. He's been drinking loads, but leaks water all over the place when he does, so I'm not sure how much actually goes down him and how much ends up on the kitchen floor. Last night I noticed for the first time that he actually looked really bloated, so this evening we were off to the vet's. She noticed that his liver is enlarged and has given him a course of antibiotics for now. I'd taken a urine sample in that she'll test, and on Friday morning Mal will be back at the vet's for blood tests, kidney tests and what have ya. This evening Mal ate a reasonable bit (still not what you'd expect from a dog his size), and then wanted to go for a walk. Took him out, he was intently sniffing away at something and his hind legs just gave way! Back home he tried to get up on his once beloved sofa, but he couldn't get up on it anymore. I lifted him onto it, but he decided after 5 minutes that he'd rather lie on the cushion on the floor. He still looks bloated, weak and I'm in bits. On Sunday he happily, if a bit slowly, went for a 2 hour walk, and now I barely dare taking him to the park up the road :mecry: :mecry:

I can't bear the thought of losing him. Don't get me wrong, I love Sparky and Kiera to bits (and they are totally getting neglected right now :( :( ), but Mal is my soul boy, my life and I just can't do without him.

Please, if you have any healing thoughts going spare, can I ask for a couple for my Mal? Thank you

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:GroupHug: So sorry to hear he's not feeling so good - sending Reiki for Mal :GroupHug:

Billy, if you are worried he's not drinking enough (or not taking enough down) can you add some water to his food and mix it in? That's what I do for mine if I'm worried they'll get dehydrated.

Billy, sending all the good thoughts I can to Mal. :GroupHug: :GroupHug: Hope the meds work for him and he is DEMANDING that you feed him chicken and eggs again in a way that a royal chap should be. :wub: I wouldnt worry to much about walking him unless you have to for him go for a wee. Can you just put him in the van and let him have a potter if thats the case. And no-one doubts your love for Keira and Sparky, but I think we have all had/have a soul dog at some point. I know exactly where you are coming from hun xx :GroupHug:

:GroupHug: Billy

Try milk thistle - it's very good for the liver and little and often feeds might work better if he's not up to a full meal at a time. With Barney it was low protein and low fat for his liver - so chicken, cottage cheese, brown rice, veg etc. and make his food smelly and tasty. I can remember someone saying warming food slightly made it more appetising.

Sending love and strength to you and Mal :GroupHug:

Thank you for your support, it really means a lot

:GroupHug: So sorry to hear he's not feeling so good - sending Reiki for Mal :GroupHug:

Billy, if you are worried he's not drinking enough (or not taking enough down) can you add some water to his food and mix it in? That's what I do for mine if I'm worried they'll get dehydrated.

The problem is he won't eat, Ange. He gets wet food as it is, and I've got a few "revitalise" drinks from PaH, which should have added minerals and what have ya. He used to love those, but this evening, after we came back from the vet, he didn't want that either :mecry:

Billy - what about adding stuff to his water to make it a bit more appealing? :unsure: I know it's really too salty in normal circumstances, but sometimes when Bear was refusing to drink I'd add a bit of a stock cube or something to his water and have it a bit warm. Flora doesn't drink much at the moment with being so inactive, but I give her water with honey added to it - do you think he'd drink that? :unsure:

Edited by dirtychicken