UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal Not Well

BillyMalc

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for all your replies, it's so good to have support from people who really know what you're on about :flowers:

Mal appears a bit better, he did come to the door to say hello when I came home. He then didn't want to go for a walk, so I took Sparks and Kiera out first, and when I came back Mal did want to go for a walk. Although he doesn't really walk as such these days, he shuffles from blade of grass to leaf and tells me in no uncertain terms where he wants to shuffle to! He does drag his legs tho, if I try to convince him, for instance, that the local compost heap isn't a good place to go foraging and try to pull him away, he just falls over :( He also decided that he wanted to visit his favourite aunty in the world (the local one, Lizzie - I don't think your sausages have competition! :wink:) so he pulled me over to her flat and then he stubbornly refused to move away from her front door - even though she wasn't in! So all in all he isn't too bad, it's just that he's changed so much within the last week or so - he's gone from a 13 year old who thought his body was 10 years max to a very old, doddery man, and doG only knows what's going on in his head :( His tail still wags enough tho and the look in his eyes is still really alert, so no way am I giving up on him!

Thanks also for the tips and advice: I've gone and bought milkthistle tincture at Boots this afternoon - but I've just found that it's got 55% alcohol in it! Would that be okay for dogs?

And I've checked the tub of Vionate and it doesn't say BHA or BHT on it - but it does say "nicotinec acid" on it - now am I really thick or am I justified in thinking that that is the carcinogenic stuff in cigarettes? :unsure: Any case, I've not added it to his food tonight.

Heart failure - that's interesting, because another vet a few months ago said that Mal had a very slow heart rate :unsure: I'll mention it tomorrow when I drop him off at the vet's.

And he wants to go out aaaall the time now, so best get going for another round round the block ...

Nicotinic acid is vitamin B3 and nothing to do with cigarettes. You will find it in most multivitamins.

Thanks for clearing that up :blush:

If he's drinking a lot he couldn't be diabetic or have a thyroid problem? Both can make them feel really ill. Urine infection?

He's going to the vet's tomorrow, who will look at his liver and kidneys and do a bloods test, and they've already got a urine sample and my whole description of what's been happening within the last week or so, so I hope that we'll have an answer come tomorrow afternoon :unsure:

Obviously, once we kn ow what is the matter we'll need a plan of action, so I'll undoubtedly be picking your brains again!

Behaviour question tho: Mal has started eatring again, since yesterday, but now he wants to go out straight after he's had his dinner/brekky, even if he has just been out, and once out he point blank refuses to walk back home - it's as if he really really doesn't want to be there! Just now I got him back in, and insisted on sitting down and having something to eat (the theory being that I won't be any good to anyone if I faint because I've not eaten :rolleyes:), and he first of all stayed by the door and then came into the living room, panting like mad! He's now calmed down and lying at my feet - but I've never seen behaviour like it in him - help Fugees! Any more ideas??

I can't wait till tomorrow now, and hopefully get some answers :(

I can't wait till tomorrow now, and hopefully get some answers :(

i really wouldn't want to hazard a guess at what could be wrong Billy, but I hope tomorrow brings the answers you are looking for. :flowers: Have a big cuddle with Mal for me. :wub: :wub: Try and make sure you get a bit of rest yourself too :flowers: