UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal Not Well

BillyMalc

May sound daft, but is it possible that Mal's picking up on your stress and in turn is feeling a bit more restless himself? :unsure:

I know when I've had poorly hounds they've usually been less settled, probably due to me being worried etc. It could also just be that Mal's feeling like his routine has been a bit muddled.

Sending gentle :GroupHug: :GroupHug: 's for the very special Mal :wub:

And for you too, as Marge said, try and get some rest yourself :GroupHug:

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good thoughts for Mal. Hopefully he's just decided to be an awkward, eccentric, elderly gent. My old boy Stanley behaved exactly the same and he stuck around for a couple of years after that, making the most of me running around after him :laughingsmiley: oooh, I miss that old bugger

:GroupHug: for you all

Okay, we've come back from the vet and the news isn't good: Mal's liver is not working as it should. From the blood test and the ultra sound they have been able to determine that without a doubt. What they cannot determine for sure is if it's a very bad inflammation or a tumour, but given Mal's history it is very likely that it is :mecry: The only way to determine this for sure would be for him to undergo very invasive surgery just to get the answer and then there'd be a big chance that the tumour is inoperable. Basically that said it all for me, I'm not gonna put Mal through this in the last months of his life. Because according to the vet we're looking at months ....

He's been given a course of Prednisolone to try for a week, if he responds we might carry on with it, if not we'll drop it, but that's all there's to it. :( :(

I've been crying my eyes out already, and I'm crying again while I type this, but I know I've got to pack that in if only for Mal's sake - and Kiera and Sparky of course, who have been terribly neglected this week :(

And I really need your help now, Fugees: I want Mal to have the best possible food that money can buy. He's not vegan anymore, because he just doesn't fancy it, so anything goes. But because I've only ever fed dogs a vegan diet for the last 10 years, I'm not quite sure what that would be. I know all the nice food's brand names, but would I be better off getting him pouches of Nature's Menu, or cook him organic, human grade meat? I'd assume that the latter would be better quality, but the first one might be better balanced for a dog with liver problems?

Please, if you can, let me know of any experiences you might have with feeding a dog with liver problems, and any foods/remedies that did or didn't work.

(I've got the milk thistle, but I might struggle to get that down him in tincture form so I might go and get the tablets after all :rolleyes:).

And THANK YOU for all your advice and support - I really don't know what I'd do without the Refuge :flowers: :flowers:

Oh Billy! I'm so sorry the news wasn't more positive :( :GroupHug:

I don't have any experience of liver problems, but have fed Natures Menu and Nature Diet and they've loved it. Is Mal being picky over food? Maybe a few packs of each, and home cooked so you can alternate :unsure:

Sending lots of love and good wishes for you and your very special boy :wub:

So, so sorry the news wasn't good Billy. :GroupHug: I just feed mine on Dr Johns and cooked mince/veggies etc. For an all in 1 food I have heard Arden Grange is good and not tested using animal cruelty.

Loads of good thoughts for you and Mal. :GroupHug:

If you need a natter etc you know where I am hun.

Kazz xx

Billy - here is a link to Lew Olson's newsletter on diet and other natural treatments for dogs with liver problems. Lew is fantastically knowledgeable and has helped countless dogs and been a great source of of knowledge for me.

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/liver/

I am very sorry to hear Mal's prognosis but vet's have been known to be wrong in the past. Let's hope that their long term view is horrendously off base with your special boy.

Love

Anne, Barty & Chloe

Billy, I'm really sorry that the news wasn't better :( :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Re food - I feed mine Naturediet, which I think is one of the best pet foods you can buy, but I would say home cooking a good quality meat would better that :flowers: We've been looking at buying lamb from our local farm shop and doing that at some point when money is less of a concern, so I would look at that route if I were you (well not specifically lamb, I don't know what would be the best).

Will continue to send Reiki for the lovely Mal if that's ok - and if you'd like me to post requests for him too, let me know :flowers: Do you have a good photo of him I can use?

:GroupHug: :GroupHug:

So, so sorry the news wasn't good Billy. :GroupHug: I just feed mine on Dr Johns and cooked mince/veggies etc. For an all in 1 food I have heard Arden Grange is good and not tested using animal cruelty.

Loads of good thoughts for you and Mal. :GroupHug:

Kazz xx

I agree Arden Grange is a good food - we feed some of the dry one but they also make a tinned one now, which is similar to Naturediet but tinned. Similar quality/meat % etc anyway I think.

Kazz, did you know Dr Johns contains BHA/BHT? I won't use foods with them in as they are linked to being carcinogenic :(

Billy, I'm really sorry that the news wasn't better :( :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Re food - I feed mine Naturediet, which I think is one of the best pet foods you can buy, but I would say home cooking a good quality meat would better that :flowers: We've been looking at buying lamb from our local farm shop and doing that at some point when money is less of a concern, so I would look at that route if I were you (well not specifically lamb, I don't know what would be the best).

Will continue to send Reiki for the lovely Mal if that's ok - and if you'd like me to post requests for him too, let me know :flowers: Do you have a good photo of him I can use?

:GroupHug: :GroupHug:

I agree Arden Grange is a good food - we feed some of the dry one but they also make a tinned one now, which is similar to Naturediet but tinned. Similar quality/meat % etc anyway I think.

Kazz, did you know Dr Johns contains BHA/BHT? I won't use foods with them in as they are linked to being carcinogenic :(

:ohmy:

That is the only food Korky will eat now. Mine are on the Gold. Is that the same as the others I wonder? Shite if it is. :( Looks like Korky will have to go back on Superdog Sensitive whether she likes it or not!. :rolleyes:

:ohmy:

That is the only food Korky will eat now. Mine are on the Gold. Is that the same as the others I wonder? Shite if it is. :( Looks like Korky will have to go back on Superdog Sensitive whether she likes it or not!. :rolleyes:

Kazz, if you look on the Gilpa site, there's a PDF with ingredients for each of their foods. Here's the one for the gold and it does contain BHA/BHT too, sorry :( http://www.gilpa.co.uk/downloadlibrary/Dr_John_Gold_A5.pdf. At least they are honest about naming them I guess, some just say "EC permitted ...".

Sorry Billy for going off topic :flowers:

Oh Billy I am so sorry the news wasn't better :GroupHug:

I home cook for George and use only human grade meat.

I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we are all here for you any time you need to off-load

Loads of good thoughts for you and Mal.

Kazz xx

Thanks so much Marion and Kazz :flowers: How much meat and veg would I cook for Mal to have a balanced meal tho? He's 27 kgs/ 59 lbs

Billy - here is a link to Lew Olson's newsletter on diet and other natural treatments for dogs with liver problems. Lew is fantastically knowledgeable and has helped countless dogs and been a great source of of knowledge for me.

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/liver/

I am very sorry to hear Mal's prognosis but vet's have been known to be wrong in the past. Let's hope that their long term view is horrendously off base with your special boy.

Love

Anne, Barty & Chloe

I will have a look at that link as soon as I've served everyone their dinners - thanks ever so much Anne! :)

Billy, I'm really sorry that the news wasn't better :( :GroupHug:

Yes please re the reiki Ange :flowers: I've taken a picture of Mal only last Sunday - I will load it up to photobucket and post it asap.

Oh, since I've read that about the vitamins I've chucked whatever I had. Bloody vet recommended that :angry: