UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal Not Well

BillyMalc

Hmmm, he's thrown up twice now, and he's thrownup bile earlier in the week, which I have mentioned to the vet. I guess he really can only have tiny tiny portions, even if he really likes it :(

Ange, I've posted 2 photos of Mal on page 7, thank you!! :flowers:

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy, not 100% sure if it's ok for Mal to have, but there's a homeopathic remedy - Nux Vomica - that can help stop vomiting. I had to buy some, on holistic vet recommendation, when mine had to have ABs that can cause sickness (and of course they did) :rolleyes: I bought some in liquid form too so that I could drip it on the dogs' upper lip so they could lick it off if they wouldn't take a small (teeny) tablet. Just a thought :flowers:

Thanks re the photos, will go back and find them :)

Thanks Ange, I still might have that somewhere actually. :flowers:

Mal is on so many different things already tho, and I have to say the last time Mal had a homeopathic remedy prescribed it made him really ill, so I'm very reluctant to add anything else, 'specially when it's homeopathic.

He gave me a right scare last night! I woke up to find him lying on his side, panting and breathing really heavily. At first I thought he was dreaming, but then he woke up and was still the same. I must've gone to the phone and back to Mal at least 4 times. Then he got up, off the bed, shook and wagged his tail, had a drink and went back to bed as if nothing had happened. :ohmy: And just now he looks right as rain again ... :mecry: :wub: :wub:

Still thinking good thoughts for Mal :wub:

And if you are interested in healing, there's a great book called Hands-On-Healing For Pets by Margrit Coates - Cygnus has it at the best price I've found - link.

Billy, I have a copy of this book (Ange gave it to me, as it happens :wink: ) If you'd like to borrow it, PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post tomorrow :flowers:

Mal has kept both his brekkie and his lunch down today! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: And he did come into the kitchen to enquire what he'd be served as a snack. Unfortunately he didn't fancy a boiled egg with some hotdog chopped into it, but he had a go at the cottage cheese and had a few spoonfuls of that. He's farting for England now tho! :sick01: :sick01: :sick01:

Billy, I have a copy of this book (Ange gave it to me, as it happens :wink: ) If you'd like to borrow it, PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post tomorrow :flowers:

Thanks for the book link and the offer to pop it in the post! Will PM you shortly! :flowers: :flowers:

Thinking lots of 'get well and stop worrying your mum thoughts' here still.

Billy, are Mal's gums pale? On occasion Sooty's tumour would bleed which would leave her anaemic and that can cause panting (at least, according to her vet it could). If that's the case getting liquids inside him can help his body replenish. I did devise a mixture to give Sooty which helped with the anaemia and I can hunt out the recipe if you'd like to try it. Its simply a concoction of the vitamin B rich foods. both meat and vegetables, all raw, which I put in the liquidiser so it ended up as a liquid. It was easy for her to get down and easier for her to digest because it was essentially broken down. You could perhaps bulk up on the veggies fish and yoghurt parts so that you can avoid the meat.

The only problem I can see is that Sooty was a tiny dog and it was quite time consuming preparing it for her and Mal definitely can't be described as tiny, so it could suck up a lot of your time.

Other alternative would be iron tablets, which is what the vet actually said to give her, I just preferred to take a more natural path.

:GroupHug:

Thinking lots of 'get well and stop worrying your mum thoughts' here still.

Billy, are Mal's gums pale? On occasion Sooty's tumour would bleed which would leave her anaemic and that can cause panting (at least, according to her vet it could). If that's the case getting liquids inside him can help his body replenish. I did devise a mixture to give Sooty which helped with the anaemia and I can hunt out the recipe if you'd like to try it. Its simply a concoction of the vitamin B rich foods. both meat and vegetables, all raw, which I put in the liquidiser so it ended up as a liquid. It was easy for her to get down and easier for her to digest because it was essentially broken down. You could perhaps bulk up on the veggies fish and yoghurt parts so that you can avoid the meat.

The only problem I can see is that Sooty was a tiny dog and it was quite time consuming preparing it for her and Mal definitely can't be described as tiny, so it could suck up a lot of your time.

Other alternative would be iron tablets, which is what the vet actually said to give her, I just preferred to take a more natural path.

:GroupHug:

Thanks Carole :flowers: Mal's now stopped the panting, but he's very tired at the moment. I let him choose where he wanted to go for his early evening walk and we were gone for near 45 minutes! All at his pace, with a bit of a stand off when it's really not practical to stand still and comtemplate world events, like in the middle of the road :ohmy: :rolleyes:

He is getting really fussy what he wants to eat now: whatever he liked yesterday, he won't touch today. Today he liked cottage cheese, about 1/4 of a tub at a time, but he might well not like it tomorrow. And that's the problem that I have with him right now: I'd love to go out and buy him all sorts, as long as it makes him better, but he just won't have it :(

A milk thistle question though: how much do I give him? It says, for an adult, between 1-3 a day, and so far I've given Mal (plm 60 lbs body weight) 1 a day. Or should I try and kickstart things by giving him a higher dose? :unsure:

Oops, sorry Mr Malcolm, what you need them is some nice animal-something-or-other-oil by the sounds of it, glad your mum is on the case :laugh: :flowers:

Billy, will post a Reiki request for him once you've had a chance to upload a photo :flowers: Also not sure if I mentioned the distant healing network:

http://www.the-dhn.com/forms/petrequest.html

And if you are interested in healing, there's a great book called Hands-On-Healing For Pets by Margrit Coates - Cygnus has it at the best price I've found - link.

Ange told me about the Distant Healing Network and I've used it a few times - I've been amazed by the results.

The fact that Mal is tired seems to support the possibility that he is anaemic. If he does have a tumour and it is having a bleed, the one positive point is that the blood doesn't actually get lost and his body can re-absorb the critical elements of it.

150g fish

150g chicken breast

150g braising steak

150g ox liver

125g brown rice (uncooked weight)

200g spinach

200g broccoli

2 large eggs

½ pot live yoghurt

½ jar honey

1 15oz tin chicken soup

450mg curcumin

There are lots of different types of fish that can be used, I often used trout but any oily fish is a good source. All ingredients were raw except the rice, though you would probably not lose too much if you steam the broccoli (its really hard work processing that down, believe me). Mix is freezable.

Yoghurt was half a large pot, honey does have healing properties but was mainly put in to indulge her sweet tooth. The best honey for healing purposes is Manuka honey, but that proved too rich for Sooty.

Chicken soup may have just been superstition on our part, but when she had her first serious bleed, she almost died then, her eyes even started glazing over and we pumped watered down chicken soup into her by syringe that night and by the time she got to the vets the next day it was only her very low blood count that showed there had been a problem at all.

The curcumin is there because there is evidence to suggest that it has cancer fighting properties and we started her on that when we found out that she had a tumour in March 2006, so when we started the gloop we put it in that because it was easier for her to take it that way. There is ongoing research, but as usual the medical establishment pooh poohs anything that is a potential natural aid. We think it helped and she did make it through to December, which our vet didn't expect at all, it can easily be left out.

We fed Sooty 3 or 4 times a day, and at each mealtime I would mix 3 dessertspoons of the gloop with 1 dessertspoon of live yoghurt and a teaspoon of honey. She would have this and some solid food sometimes fish, sometimes liver or braising steak (raw), basically whatever she was having for her meal. I only ever meant the gloop as a supplement. You would need to give Mal more, because Sooty was a very small dog (only 10 and 1/2 inches tall).

Sooty was very picky about her food too, but she never refused the gloop, we thought it looked awful, smelt worse but was obviously appetizing to her.

Wishing you and Mal all the very best. :GroupHug: