UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mal Not Well

BillyMalc

So sorry the news wasn't good Billy :GroupHug: I had typed out a long reply about what I feed Spike, but then read Marian's reply that you need low protien and Spike's isn't really. The one thing we do when Spike won't take anything, is crush his tablets, mix with honey and smear on his gums. This makes it stick and he has to lick it off. (The vet advised that ) It's so difficult when they need the medication to survive. :( I'm still sending all the good thoughts possible as I know what a huge worry it is, when all we want to do is make their live's better. As Marian said, be strong, we're all with you on this one. :flowers: :GroupHug:

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iam also a big believer in Milk Thistle for the liver. You can buy it in a small bottle and put some drops on to whatever he is eating or in his water. It really does cleanse the liver. Meanwhile sending loads of Reiki to both you and Mal :GroupHug:

Eileen

You replies mean such a lot to me, and I'm learning loads from other people's experiences :flowers: :flowers:

Okay, so far the plan is to get Mal eating again, at all costs, and since he's had half a prednisolone last night that part of the plan appears to be working, although he's very clear in what he does and doesn't want. Forget all the "feeding him what he's used to" and "no drastic changes" - all the sensible things really - Mal has just advised that he won't be entertaining the idea of eating veg anymore, by rubbing his mouth against my coat and trousers and smearing half the contents of a pot of baby food on them :rolleyes: :laugh: He has however, devoured his chicken chunks with great gusto :biggrin: :biggrin: So as much as I would love him to continue eating his dark green veg and tomatoes, Mal has made it clear that that ain't gonna happen as long as he's got any say in it! :wacko:

Also, entirely on his own accord, Mal has just spent AN HOUR pootling round the park without falling over!!!

Right, so off I am, getting milk thistle, grotty meat (Mal will be getting a home delivery of choice cuts of all sorts, thanks to Mrs Rumpole, on Monday! :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:) and cottage cheese - and maybe a few healthy bits n bobs for the young uns and me :wacko:

Will keep you posted!

We reached the stage that we call "whatever they want they get" when eating becomes the most important thing.

You probably know most of this, but here's some of the things we've tried:-

Vitamin B can help increase the appetite, can be given in injection from the vet.

Megan loved Corned Beef we used it to make a gravy from it for her.

Chappie sometimes is popular (smelly).

Butchers Tripe is popular with Susie too.

Susie gets quite a lot of tripe based fresh meals :sick01:, but we don't cook it for her, she gets it mixed with (porridge)oats or rice etc as her appetite has improved we do mix some veg with it.

We also feed things like tuna (Morrisons do reasonable if you have one close) and other fish mixes.

I sometimes think that loosing their appetite is one of the hardest things for us to cope with as we feel that we should be able to cope and get them eating with all the choices out there, but as we've discovered in the past when they don't want to eat then they can be so stubborn :(

Believe me cats are even worse.

OH has just reminded me that someone we know has a dog with a brain tumour and she has been adding cottage cheese and a vegetable oil to the dog's diet and he has done well on it.

I did a quick search and found this site: http://www.caninecancer.com/diet.html

:GroupHug: for you and Mal

It's a while since I read up on it, but it was flaxseed oil mixed with cottage cheese that was recommended to be given with cottage cheese for those with cancer. I bought some flaxseed oil online once from a source recommended by someone on the CHC list, can't remember the name but if you google there seem to be quite a few companies. I'm sure you were meant to buy from a company that kept it refrigerated and then you had to do the same, but it's been a while.

It's a while since I read up on it, but it was flaxseed oil mixed with cottage cheese that was recommended to be given with cottage cheese for those with cancer. I bought some flaxseed oil online once from a source recommended by someone on the CHC list, can't remember the name but if you google there seem to be quite a few companies. I'm sure you were meant to buy from a company that kept it refrigerated and then you had to do the same, but it's been a while.

It's called the Budwig Protocol :flowers: You're right Ange, you're meant to buy flaxseed oil from a shop that stores it in the fridge, if kept outside the fridge it goes rancid really quickly. You can also buy flaxseed (or linseed, same thing) and grind it up in a coffee grinder - my guys get a seed mixture that's 50% flax seed + 50% sunflower/sesame/pumpkin seed, every day in their food. I keep the seeds in the fridge too. :)

Malcolm has just scoffed a pouch of Nature's Menu lamb + rice!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: With a milk thistle capsule alright :wink: He is miles away from how he has been the last few days, so much better!!

I can't tell you how happy I am, I'm about to burst into tears again - I'm such a wet blanket when it comes to Mal :rolleyes: :wub: :wub: Even if he's downhill again tomorrow, he's happy right now and that's all I care about!!

Malcolm has just scoffed a pouch of Nature's Menu lamb + rice!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: With a milk thistle capsule alright :wink: He is miles away from how he has been the last few days, so much better!!

I can't tell you how happy I am, I'm about to burst into tears again - I'm such a wet blanket when it comes to Mal :rolleyes: :wub: :wub: Even if he's downhill again tomorrow, he's happy right now and that's all I care about!!

Yay, well done Mal :flowers: :flowers: and your mum for doing EVERYTHING possible she possibly can for you Mal :GroupHug:

It's called the Budwig Protocol :flowers: You're right Ange, you're meant to buy flaxseed oil from a shop that stores it in the fridge, if kept outside the fridge it goes rancid really quickly. You can also buy flaxseed (or linseed, same thing) and grind it up in a coffee grinder - my guys get a seed mixture that's 50% flax seed + 50% sunflower/sesame/pumpkin seed, every day in their food. I keep the seeds in the fridge too. :)

That's the one, I have a book somewhere but I'm not sure where.

I was going to mention Manuka honey too but having done a search I see it's been mentioned on the thread already :flowers: I just bought some UMF15+ from Holland & Barret online as it was reduced by quite a bit.