UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Texas's Great Big Adventure

ceemage

justafewmorezeds.jpg otherbed.jpg

This is my other bed.

I am allowed to take this one apart and remake it myself without getting "Told" because its mine.

I have to sleep here when Dad goes to the human vet or when I have been norty .especially beard chewing in the middle of the night. I dont mind being sent to it as there are several jumbones hidden in it.

This is where I sometime entertain, visitors have space to sit. It is also very handy when humans are cooking because a lot of stuff falls to the floor and has to be cleared up. This is my job.

Sometimes, when Dad sleeps upstairs, I sleep on it. But after a while I just drag it all across the floor and sleep in my chair. dad has to move this for me.

I dont like the fire in this room it makes hissing sid noises and doesnt have a flickery red bit to watch.

Mind you this bed is a bit "red" I am not sure if it matches my colouring. My pink nose really needs a more muted background to be admired properly.

I am now allowed off the lead being such a good dog, when we go walkies. But I mustnt go in the water as it frightens the ducks.

I have to go to the vets next friday, which means going in a van again ....eek. This time I can sit in the front but have to be attached to the seat in case I try to drive or have to attack the other dog that clings to the outside of the window, even though he is really handsome.

Yes . paws under the table ---but nose on it.

He is not so much "settling in" as "taking over"

His walk has replaced my daily trip into Asda--I havent had a custard or a doughnut for a fortnight.

He will not wear his coat though, and doesnt do rain.

Yup, sounds perfectly normal to me! :wink:

In his kennel photographs, Texas' body language seemed to me to be showing that he was just going through the motions . I thought originally that his staring into the distance was some kind of yearning or seeking. But he was just playing the game of doing what was expected of him, as an easy way of life, that would result in no anguish or pain , albeit very little positive gain.

This is a typical sign of being " stir crazy".

He also has signs of other compulsive behaviour, kennel rubbing and repetitive movements.

His mindset adapted to the best way of dealing with incarceration.

This is why he looked so unappealling and failed to attract any interest. The various comments about him not being the cutest, show that a few people thought this.

So it's a matter of breaking this habit. He still goes into this mode when we meet people and other dogs while out; his head goes down , he stays rigidly still and ignores the world, proffered hands , sniffing mose what ever. (although he has shouted and snapped at one dog --- big black staffy - the local escapologist -- running loose)

On the other side he really enjoys a mad hurtle off the lead, and, boy!, can he move.

Some signs of his earlier life are beginning to surface. He has an unexplainable interest in cigarette smoke and drink, when he comes across them.

Its not all one way though . I am getting a lot out of his presence.

• 2 weeks later...
:laugh:

He doesn't look too impressed with being dressed in pink! :wub:

(Sorry I had a lot of trouble loading that pic and thought I had failed)

He was not at all impressed with any of the clothing that he was given. He even went on strike and froze to an immovable object in one coat. So I have had to redesign, move bits amd generally make holes in my fingers with a sewing needle to get a fit and the level of comfort that is acceptable. He will now go out in the rain if he has a coat on.

The pyjamas situation has yet to be sorted. He will not sleep downstairs in the warm unless he has company.

Upstairs is very cold for those that do not bury themselves under the high tog numbers. He feels very cold in the mornings and makes a beeline for the room with the gas fire on waking.

So I have to sleep downstairs with him. on a futon type thing which is really hard to get up from, especially with 20 kilo of boingy staffy on ones head.

I am beginnning to think this dog has bolshevik tendencies, he will not eat anything "posh" and has his own version of most games..... His version of catch-- I stand holding the ball, he takes from my hand , goes up the garden and drops it and then comes back while I go and get it.

He was amazingly good at the vets, and is now micro chipped. He even travelled without any of the usual fuzz. It was van weekend so we took him half way around Birmingham and back every time we went for a walk. He is much improved. In fact he continues to amaze me. He is safe to have an off the lead hurtle and will not talk to anyone without being told that he can.

If I can get him to give up the Kamikaze dog of Damocles exhibitions while I am asleep I will be even more pleased. His headbutt is quite powerful as well, I have experienced this only the once and it sent me reeling and still hurts after 4 days.

I think he is pleased with his new situation. Its been 8 days since he collected all of his toys, placed them in the middle of his vetbed and folded it into an parcel. I cant remember what I did wrong.