UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Texas's Great Big Adventure

ceemage

He seems to be on the mend. The vets did say wait a few more days for his hormones to sort.

He is eating much more, but still prefers it from a hand, which is a bit difficult fo his favourite homemade sardines and rice.

He has managed to do paws on lap several times and is finding bed leaping a bit easier. He is finding two winter duvets just a little too much so must lay across the bed with just his snout sticking out the side.

He cant get up when I do as it takes three hours for the downstairs to get as warm as the bedroom, this means he his forced to have a much longer lie-in than anyone else.

His innards seem to be settling down, I think this may have been the cold.

His new jumper is at the post office waiting for me to go and get it. I may also finish his new overcoat soon. So when he thinks he might need a walk again , we may be ready.

He is being very good and tolerating the shortcomings of the house management with great aplomb.

I have had several wags in the last two days, and none of the " who are you ?"looks.

Well the snow has gone. Spring is in the air and all kinds of changes are in the wind.

The grumpy old dog we had has gone, and in his place we have suddenly acquired a bouncy boingy puppy that knows how to chew things , play and even how to get up on a chair to get out of the draughts.

Its a different world out there too. The frosty cold windy outdoors that we have been dragging a reluctant tired old dog around arent quite the lonely place that we are used to. Bicycles ( i remember when they had bells)Ninjas....people in track suits who make no noise whatsoever when they come up behind you.

And some of the others--- teddy texas has always had an annoying interest in the strange exotics stifling smell that pervades our local park and certain doorways in the neighborhood. He usually barks.

Today he trots off in advance on his very long lead, complete with his " I am a hard dog " muzzling contraption down the alley leading to the canal bridge and around the corner, just as there is a big splash and an outbreak of screaming.

I catch up and teddy texas i s stood staring at , well judging by the big cloud of smoke i thought they might be space cadets, but one was jumping up and down screaming and the other was actually in the canal. A bit cold yet for swimming methinks but it might be some religious thing.

So we went the other way.

But I am toying with the idea of getting teddy a little coat with a pocket for leaflets.

The grumpy old dog we had has gone, and in his place we have suddenly acquired a bouncy boingy puppy that knows how to chew things , play and even how to get up on a chair to get out of the draughts.

In Spring, a young dog's fancy turns to... well, not *that* any more. But good to hear he is getting more lively again.

• 3 weeks later...

We had planned to upload some pics of Teddy Texas during a "longlead" session.

??

TT has been on a steep learning curve over the last few weeks. First we learnt that if you are not careful about how you burrow into a bed then a dog can find himself inside the duvet cover at the bottom , totally enclosed and will have to live there forever unless someone can rescue you, having wondered where you were and what that big lump rolling across the floor is.

Lo and behold he has also discovered tummy tickles , now that he is confident enough to roll on his back and snuggle properly---just an hour at night and an hour in the morning is almost quite sufficient.

We had a horrible time last week because the fire kept on going out of its own accord. The gas man had to come. Teddy Texas does not like the gasman. He was ok watching hime until he started to bang HIS ( Teddy Texas ') fire. This was cruel and lead to a lot of protective barking and leaping about-- fixation or what?

The visit of the gasman also meant that the human had to collect up all of TT's bones , toys, half eaten chews. pigs ears , saved biscuits and secret pieces of wood and put most of them in a box. TT had to then take everything out and put it back where it should be.. And to train the Human a lot of human toys were taken away and put into a special place-- this includes the little safety knob of the horrible circular saw (three days peace and quiet from building work) and also the lead that connects the camera to the PC..

The human whisperer rules

Lo and behold he has also discovered tummy tickles , now that he is confident enough to roll on his back and snuggle properly---just an hour at night and an hour in the morning is almost quite sufficient.

Sounds fair enough to me -- just enough to make sure that the human knows he is appreciated (which is important in keeping him trained), but not too much that anyone thinks he's going wussy or soft or anything.

TT is only wussy when it involves rain or the dark! oh and big white sheets on the clothesline; we discovered today. I have never know such prolonged barking.

I am really over the moon with the little chap today, despite a week of philosophical difference over chocolate distribution practises.

This is now confined to rewards while working on the long lead ( lungeing ?). So we have been doing that two days in a row instead of the morning hike.

His tethered recall is amazing, but mostly voluntary; which defeats the object. He does "down" for his "sit" and vice versa.

But bright blessings ! today , we were interrupted by one of the local latchkey staffies on his usual route. He usually ignores us when in close formation , but with Teddy Texas at full lead length he was quite happy to approach . Despite TT being a little grumpy for a couple of moments; they had a good wag and sniff and standing on one anothers backs. It only ceased when a recalled TT ( well he thought about it).

All this was repeated half hour late when the other guy was on his homeward leg. Lots of attempted domination but no aggravation.

While I am really really pleased at TT behaviour ( his first dog meeting since the vets), and its a good tsep towards the plans of fostering others, I was a bit dismayed to realise that he really doesnt know what "playing " is, or hasnt remembered yet. He just did a really silly look --"er what do we do now" until the other dog got bored and wandered off.

But a breakthrough never the less.

TT is rather happy that the nice Mister Asda is selling the little tasty "hero" range at 27p.

and send all his regards.

Edited by lester

• 3 weeks later...

Now that Daddy has started work again. Teddy Texas has to take every chance he can to sit on Daddy's lap.

even igf he is trying to type on here. We have found the lead, now where is the camera.

Teddy is trying to learn how to make baskets but he does prefer a more free form approach and using much larger pieces of wood.

More later.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

n1052062064_401685_4056134.jpg latest training aid fails...the chalk was eaten.

Teddy texas has now been ruling the roost for 6 months. wow , so quick.

he still has some compulsions , but were gradually ironing them out. His behaviour during thunderstorms is getting manageable.

Ihave discovered that he must have had a damaged jaw at sometime, which would explain the difficultie he has drinking amd eating. His food has to be "roughed up " halfway through as it gets compressed at the bottom of the bowl.

He has been to Farmfoods three times and the doctors twice , outside and howling of course, but wiyhout stressing overly. He has even been to the perfood shop and waited inside, quite happy as long as I was in sight at all times.

He has been nice to some dogs and some people. He even came visiting with us to Derbyshire and was the perfect geltleman.

We have also discovered the Memorial Park in Coventry which is very dog friendly as are thepeople there , which is quite a change from here.

All this is good practise for his trip to Chatsworth in the caravan fo rfour days of basket making ( and suntan cream on his nose)

His kitchen bed (sofa ) that he had when he first came is now in the living room, which pleases him no end.

I think we are getting somewhere and I hope I am getting it right, although I do think he sometimes picks up on my fretting , especially in the a.m .. .. cleans his teeth and then lolls mournfully until I have had two coffes and put my boots on.n1052062064_401684_4115678.jpg

Here is his poster that his publicity department have chosen now that he has become a well known Brand name.n1052062064_398854_5694422.jpg

The TT ego took a bit of a bash today--he cannot walk on water. In fact he sinks quite quickly.

The blossom had collected in that part of the canal because of stillness---not strewn by fans. he is learning. cruel old world innit.

Good job he was on the long lead so i knew where to look.

• 5 weeks later...

Teddy Texas will be going to the Acocks Green Carnival and dog show next Saturday. I dont think he realises what other dogs get up to, so he is for a bit of a shock. Its a chance to see how he gets on under a little crowd pressure-- we have built up slowly--standing outside Sainsbury's for hours and such and going to a different park for long leading---no theatrical people or junkies, which entails a walk up the main road.

Dad and co will be in attendance in their new TTT tshirts but just saying hello and not doing anything special for a change.