UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sam

Houndwoman

Sam had another of his bad tummy aches and vomiting at the beginning of the week so had his usual regime of antibiotics and painkillers.

Friday lunchtime he was screaming in pain and was rushed to the vets'. He had loads of tests done and nothing abnormal was found in his bloods and his temperature was normal.

On x ray his tummy looked stuffed full of food that was going nowhere so he was under observation and put on a drip.

By yesterday he had deteriorated and he had a chest x ray and an endoscopy-still nothing obvious.

As he was so ill the vet although loathe to do it suggested that he should be opened up. I waited whilst it was done and poor Sam was on the table for 2 and a half hours :(

The vet removed 2 litres of bile fluid from his stomach which is a lot as he is only a very small Beagle.

Vet came rushing out and said 'omg he has a ruptured gall bladder' and in 20 years of being in veterinary medicine he had never had a case, apparently it is quite rare.

He had to work from one of his veterinary manuals but he did a brilliant job and I stayed until he finished and saw Sam when he came out of theatre and then came home.

Vet said that the next 24 hours would be critical and the big worry would be peritonitis :(

I have had a call this morning to say that he has had a good night and eaten his first meal for 3 days, been out for a wee with his 2 drips attached and gone back and settled so fingers crossed :)

I am going to see him at 11am.

This now explains why over all the years he has had these episodes as the vet said he now realises this has been coming for many years. He has been tested for pancreatitis and all sorts but everything has come back negative.

Fingers crossed for the little lad.

It was his 12th birthday yesterday too-what a way to spend it.

P2210003.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww Sheila i didnt realize it was Sams birthday yesterday , and as you say what a way to spend it :wub:

I am so glad he had a good night and as you know he is still in my thoughts as are you and Mike :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Well done to your vet too that must have been some experience for him

Fiona xx

B;ess him, hope he has a swift and uneventful recovery. Did he have gall stones?

No he didn't but apparently something can go wrong with the bile fluid and it thickens and solidifies. It is know as a 'Kiwi' as when it is removed as it looks just like a kiwi fruit.

With Sam his gall bladder had basically exploded and the 'kiwi' had broken up into pieces and gone down into his abdomen :(